Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jwil
    • By jwil 27th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    • 7,735Posts
    • 22,028Thanks
    jwil
    Onwards and downwards...
    • 27th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    Onwards and downwards... 27th Mar 17 at 2:47 PM
    Hey everyone

Iíve decided itís time for a new diary. Iíve been plodding away for years, robbing Peter to pay Paul, desperately trying to keep on top of everything. Iím fed up with doing this, so at the end of last year I started a DMP with Stepchange. Having someone else do all the hard work takes so much pressure off, and I donít need to worry about it so much now. I wish Iíd done it sooner!

There is also the ongoing saga of clearing the house which has been going on for years. We have cleared most of the stuff we inherited, but still have loads of our own stuff to clear, DH more so than me. Whilst this drives me crazy, it has been invaluable in providing us extra cash while I sell everything that isnít nailed down.

For anyone new popping in (Hello! ) Do stick around. There is me, DH, little jwil (4) and little miss (1). We also have a dog and a cat. DH is doing temporary work at the moment whilst looking for a FT job. My job is very uncertain at the moment, so just clinging on with great hope! I thought it was ok for the next couple of years, but itís all change again now so who knows!

I hope old friends and new will pop in now and again to say hello and give me a boot up the bum
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
Page 24
    • jwil
    • By jwil 6th Nov 17, 6:21 PM
    • 7,735 Posts
    • 22,028 Thanks
    jwil
    Hey everyone

Had a bit of an up and down weekend. I did a lot of decluttering, and DH did some re-cluttering He used a scraggy tea towel put out for recycling rather than using one we were keeping, and even took something out of the bin! I put a load of rags out, and he wants to put them in the garage for use out there. I pointed out that there is at least one massive bag of rags out there already, his answer was 'but I can't get to them'. *sigh*

In more positive news, we sold loads on ebay However the numpties are out in force again. Also, DH has been switched over to the new seller hub which I hate. It just seems harder to do anything. Also when you do relists, it doesn't automatically hide those already relisted. So I relisted the same batch of 100 items twice yesterday It didn't warn me (the old system did), and you can't bulk end auctions, so I had to end them all individually which took ages!

I did manage to get most of it posted this morning though, so only have a few bits to do tomorrow, hoping everyone pays up promptly!
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 6th Nov 17, 6:50 PM
    • 1,909 Posts
    • 8,273 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Hey everyone

Had a bit of an up and down weekend. I did a lot of decluttering, and DH did some re-cluttering He used a scraggy tea towel put out for recycling rather than using one we were keeping, and even took something out of the bin! I put a load of rags out, and he wants to put them in the garage for use out there. I pointed out that there is at least one massive bag of rags out there already, his answer was 'but I can't get to them'. *sigh*

In more positive news, we sold loads on ebay However the numpties are out in force again. Also, DH has been switched over to the new seller hub which I hate. It just seems harder to do anything. Also when you do relists, it doesn't automatically hide those already relisted. So I relisted the same batch of 100 items twice yesterday It didn't warn me (the old system did), and you can't bulk end auctions, so I had to end them all individually which took ages!

I did manage to get most of it posted this morning though, so only have a few bits to do tomorrow, hoping everyone pays up promptly!
    Originally posted by jwil
    Your DH is just like mine with regard to clutter Can you get rid of things without him knowing? I bet he wouldn't notice

Your ebay experience is really annoying that's partly why I don't ebay. Hope you sell lots anyway
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 October 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund
    Emergency Fund 1 = £678/Emergency Fund 2 = £140
    • jwil
    • By jwil 8th Nov 17, 6:38 AM
    • 7,735 Posts
    • 22,028 Thanks
    jwil
    Todays pads:

£3.24 to Mortgage
    £1.00 to savings
    £1.00 to joint od
    • Kitten868
    • By Kitten868 8th Nov 17, 8:05 AM
    • 837 Posts
    • 1,683 Thanks
    Kitten868
    'Man found murdered with 100 old rags'
    'Wife said "they must be the ones he couldn't find in the garage (evil cackle)"'

I'm alright thank you. My husband is keeping his gloves for air softing... There's gloves for that??? Why do we have to have them? He's also keeping his YMCA costume. You can't understand why they keep what they keep. I'm doing ok... not money wise but hey ho. I still haven't cracked school routine either. The bloody homework always trips me up. She's only 4!

Keep up the great work jwil.
    Loan 1 £7100/£8000
    Loan 2 £5100/£5800
    Total £12200/£13800 12% PAID
    • jwil
    • By jwil 9th Nov 17, 9:27 AM
    • 7,735 Posts
    • 22,028 Thanks
    jwil
    Your DH is just like mine with regard to clutter Can you get rid of things without him knowing? I bet he wouldn't notice

Your ebay experience is really annoying that's partly why I don't ebay. Hope you sell lots anyway
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    It's very frustrating! Unfortunately I could not get rid of anything of his without him knowing, but I have been known to sneak my stuff out without telling him as he'd try to recover some of it! It was quite easy on maternity leave while I was home, it's a lot harder now

eBay drives me crazy. I hate it, but for all it's faults, it's what has kept us going the last few years. There's no way we would have made the money we have by using local sites/car boot sales.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 9th Nov 17, 9:31 AM
    • 7,735 Posts
    • 22,028 Thanks
    jwil
    'Man found murdered with 100 old rags'
    'Wife said "they must be the ones he couldn't find in the garage (evil cackle)"'

I'm alright thank you. My husband is keeping his gloves for air softing... There's gloves for that??? Why do we have to have them? He's also keeping his YMCA costume. You can't understand why they keep what they keep. I'm doing ok... not money wise but hey ho. I still haven't cracked school routine either. The bloody homework always trips me up. She's only 4!

Keep up the great work jwil.
    Originally posted by Kitten868

That might come true one day

Glad you are ok, it's frustrating what others want to keep!

I can't cope with the homework routine either, just fitting in a few minutes here and there to do reading and writing is a real struggle, and I hate to say that I don't get home until bedtime two days a week, and the other days it's trying to sort out dinner and everything else and we all don't get home until after 5pm.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 9th Nov 17, 9:33 AM
    • 7,735 Posts
    • 22,028 Thanks
    jwil
    I had to pick up little miss yesterday as she was sick at nursery She's been fine ever since so hopefully she'll be back tomorrow. Really hoping little jwil doesn't get it. My work are being very good, but I do seem to be taking a lot of time off at the moment and I feel bad about it. DH is still in his probation period so although he has done one lot, we don't want to rock the boat which means it all falls to me
    • jwil
    • By jwil 9th Nov 17, 9:37 AM
    • 7,735 Posts
    • 22,028 Thanks
    jwil
    Todays pads:

£1.31 to Mortgage
    £2.00 to savings
    £1.48 to joint od

1 parcel posted today.

Trying to clean/bleach/sterilise everything I can today to hopefully clear any bugs!
    • jwil
    • By jwil 10th Nov 17, 6:40 AM
    • 7,735 Posts
    • 22,028 Thanks
    jwil
    Todays pads:

£1.31 to Mortgage
    £3.00 to savings
    £2.69 to joint od

I had good news yesterday, my PPI claim has been upheld However, I only had it for 2 years, and I doubt I was paying very much, so I don't think I'll be in line for a big payout. They said I will know in the next 28 days. Anything's better than nothing, and this is the account that was wiped out so I can't complain

DH and I need to get new phones as ours are dying. We are going to get a relatively expensive one, but we have enough nectar points to almost cover one of them, and then we will split the cost of the second one, so it won't be too bad in the end. We are looking at new sims too, but will still be on PAYG.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 10th Nov 17, 7:48 AM
    • 7,735 Posts
    • 22,028 Thanks
    jwil
    Ooh, just looked at my credit report and the debt that was wiped out has been completely removed from there I re-checked last months, and it was definitely showing on there then
    • jwil
    • By jwil 14th Nov 17, 8:02 AM
    • 7,735 Posts
    • 22,028 Thanks
    jwil
    Todays pads:

£1.24 to Mortgage
    £20.00 to savings
    £5.62 to joint od

7 parcels posted.
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 14th Nov 17, 8:36 AM
    • 3,951 Posts
    • 11,970 Thanks
    abba1772
    How long do you need to wait to see how much money you will get with the ppi claim xx
    NEXT TARGET HALIFAX CC WAS July 17 £3572.57 NOW £4781.47
    POAMAYC 2011 £6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 £6039.74 / £6000
    • jwil
    • By jwil 15th Nov 17, 7:51 AM
    • 7,735 Posts
    • 22,028 Thanks
    jwil
    Todays pads:

£1.31 to Mortgage
    £5.00 to debt savings
    £1.15 to joint od

11 parcels posted.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 15th Nov 17, 7:53 AM
    • 7,735 Posts
    • 22,028 Thanks
    jwil
    How long do you need to wait to see how much money you will get with the ppi claim xx
    Originally posted by abba1772
    They said 28 days, so I guess early December. I don't think it's going to be much - according to them I only had it 2 years. The balance on the account wouldn't have been much so I'm guessing it's only at best a couple of quid a month. I'll look forward to my £50 refund But, it's still better than nothing, so I'm not complaining!
    • jwil
    • By jwil 15th Nov 17, 8:00 AM
    • 7,735 Posts
    • 22,028 Thanks
    jwil
    I've decided I need a new challenge! I'm letting things coast a bit.

I'm going to let my debts tick over on token payments and hope that I get some F&F offers. Thanks to my refund I now have a decent emergency fund.

So now, I'm going to have some debt savings! I've got my other savings account which I wanted to get £19,320 into. This is my new target and I'm going to pad towards it. Once I've got there, I'll hopefully clear my debt with it. So I'm going to treat it as a debt and try and 'clear' it as soon as I can.

I need some of abba's motivation!

Debt savings - £19,320/£18,775 - £545 paid
    • retiredandskint
    • By retiredandskint 15th Nov 17, 11:07 AM
    • 657 Posts
    • 4,346 Thanks
    retiredandskint
    I've decided I need a new challenge! I'm letting things coast a bit.

I'm going to let my debts tick over on token payments and hope that I get some F&F offers. Thanks to my refund I now have a decent emergency fund.

So now, I'm going to have some debt savings! I've got my other savings account which I wanted to get £19,320 into. This is my new target and I'm going to pad towards it. Once I've got there, I'll hopefully clear my debt with it. So I'm going to treat it as a debt and try and 'clear' it as soon as I can.

I need some of abba's motivation!

Debt savings - £19,320/£18,775 - £545 paid
    Originally posted by jwil
    Love your thinking
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 15th Nov 17, 11:12 AM
    • 3,951 Posts
    • 11,970 Thanks
    abba1772
    I love the payment a day method, I feel guilty when I can't make a payment, I normally just do it Monday to Friday but I'm finding myself making payments at the weekends as well........it all counts xx
    NEXT TARGET HALIFAX CC WAS July 17 £3572.57 NOW £4781.47
    POAMAYC 2011 £6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 £6039.74 / £6000
    • jwil
    • By jwil 15th Nov 17, 4:45 PM
    • 7,735 Posts
    • 22,028 Thanks
    jwil
    Love your thinking
    Originally posted by retiredandskint
    Thank you retired. How are you?

I love the payment a day method, I feel guilty when I can't make a payment, I normally just do it Monday to Friday but I'm finding myself making payments at the weekends as well........it all counts xx
    Originally posted by abba1772
    I love it too, I've been padding, but not with much focus, so now I can really concentrate on it. I see how well you do and it inspires me
    • retiredandskint
    • By retiredandskint 15th Nov 17, 7:58 PM
    • 657 Posts
    • 4,346 Thanks
    retiredandskint
    Have sent you a pm.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 15th Nov 17, 8:15 PM
    • 1,909 Posts
    • 8,273 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    That's great news about the PPI even if it only £50 and I love it when your credit report shows a debt has been wiped .

Your new strategy of saving up for F & F offers sounds good. DH and I knocked 50% off our debts that way .
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 October 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund
    Emergency Fund 1 = £678/Emergency Fund 2 = £140
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,858Posts Today

8,114Users online

Martin's Twitter