Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 25th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    • 2,102Posts
    • 6,119Thanks
    Munchin
    Dreaming of a life after debt
    • 25th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    Dreaming of a life after debt 25th Jun 17 at 1:09 PM
    Hello

It is a very lazy Sunday here and I've decided to start a new diary because my motivation had slipped from the old one. I also think health wise I've moved on a bit as I'm (whisper) fully recovered and don't want to dwell on eating issues. However, although I have made amazing progress in one area of my life I still haven't slayed that debt dragon ... which is the purpose of this new diary and starting with a clean slate .

I should probably have named my diary 'Stop bleeding frittering' but that was a bit harsh, so sticking with dreaming of a life after debt. The plan is to slay the dragon of debt on this diary & be honest with my frittering but what I really hope to achieve is a annilation reduction of frittering which is my biggest issue.

I use YNAB which is for me the best budgeting tool ever .

Ok scary biscuits part - SOA & debt

SOA

Income - £2083

Outgoings:

Groceries: £120
    Entertainment: £45
    General: £30
    Work: £50
    Health/Beauty/Exercise: £100
    Donations: £15
    Pet: £20
    Diesel: £100
    Monthly bills: £400 (rates/rent/tv etc)
    Gifts/Xmas: £100
    Clothes:£50
    Annual: £100 (car, insurance, oil)
    Savings: £600
    Debt: £350

Total: £2080

Debt

Car - £4872
    Credit card - £1129

Total: £6001
    Last edited by Munchin; 27-06-2017 at 9:31 PM.
    PAYDBX 2017 - #12Pd £3915/£12,000 67% paid (Car - £2615 & CC £1300) . Slowly but surely. Debt Free Date - March 2018

EF #13:£100/£20,000(.5%) PAD started 09 Oct 2017 Total PAD £19.03

Speaking my truth from a place of love and kindness.
Page 8
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 1st Nov 17, 9:09 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 5,841 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Iím sorry to hear about your uncle Munchin - especially after the sad news of OHís brother. Still pleased that you enjoyed Halloween with your family - itís good to have that time.

Everything seems to have taken its toll on you the last few days - perhaps a quiet day off at home to recharge your batteries is in order?
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 2nd Nov 17, 6:52 AM
    • 2,102 Posts
    • 6,119 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning

Ss- I have booked Monday on leave & plan to do very little.

Popped into Mr Ts for a small top up shop & spent £17.50. This £160 budget could be tighter than I had thought. I’m out for lunch today & dinner this weekend.

Therapy went well last night & I have a couple of wee things to keep at the front of my mind which were comforting. The therapist makes me see things in a totally different light

Oct/Nov spends

Sun 29th- £7.79 wine
    Mon 30th - NSD
    Tues 31st - £5.51 work
    Wed 01st - £17.50 Tesco
    Thurs 02nd -£11 lunch + £10.49 Boots
    Fri 03rd -

Total = £160/£52.29

PAD today - ??
    Last edited by Munchin; 02-11-2017 at 8:01 PM.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 3rd Nov 17, 7:01 AM
    • 2,102 Posts
    • 6,119 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning

Another Xmas pressie bought yesterday and £5 over what I had planned . I saw nephew no 2 last night and asked him to let me know what he would like for Xmas. About an hour after he went home I had an email from him with a footy top and the relevant size and he told me he thinks thatís the cheapest he could find it. I think this MSE thing is rubbing of on the junior family members. I bought it and it should be 8% back on Topcashback.

Finally slept last night, I still woke up at 3am but this time I went back to sleep to just before 5. I feel like Iím in front of myself this morning rather than chasing my tail.

I think Iím going to have to pop into Boots as throat is so sore & I fancy a skinny latte from coffee shop (I know money should go into PAD but it will be so nice). OH has asked me to pick up Chinese & bottle of red ..so more spends but hopefully he will buy dinner out on Sunday.

Another busy day ahead but it is the weekend
    PAYDBX 2017 - #12Pd £3915/£12,000 67% paid (Car - £2615 & CC £1300) . Slowly but surely. Debt Free Date - March 2018

EF #13:£100/£20,000(.5%) PAD started 09 Oct 2017 Total PAD £19.03

Speaking my truth from a place of love and kindness.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 3rd Nov 17, 7:24 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 5,841 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    How sweet that your nephew checked to find the cheapest top for his present! Youíve obviously trained him well!

Hope your throat is feeling better and good to know you finally got some sleep!

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 4th Nov 17, 8:06 AM
    • 2,102 Posts
    • 6,119 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning

Yikes donít know what the plans are for today. OH is working so I better chase him out of the house. After that I think pup and I will hit the forest to see if we can spot anymore deer.

I hopefully will not have to venture to shops so I might squeeze in an NSD.

Oct/Nov spends

Sun 29th- £7.79 wine
    Mon 30th - NSD
    Tues 31st - £5.51 work
    Wed 01st - £17.50 Tesco
    Thurs 02nd -£11 lunch + £10.49 Boots
    Fri 03rd - £16.40 (Chinese, wine & salad)

Total = £160/£68.69

PAD today - 21p
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 4th Nov 17, 8:11 AM
    • 2,102 Posts
    • 6,119 Thanks
    Munchin
    Nov spends

Sat 04th -NSD
    Sun 05th -£28 (OH forgot wallet at Lidl.......)
    Mon 06th -
    Tues 07th -
    Wed 08th -
    Thurs 09th -
    Fri 10th -

Total = (Month) £170/£96.69

PAD today - xx
    Last edited by Munchin; 06-11-2017 at 7:07 AM.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 4th Nov 17, 8:37 AM
    • 2,102 Posts
    • 6,119 Thanks
    Munchin

Car debt - Was £2965.25 - £350 = Now £2615 (Dec/Jan/Feb to go)

Credit card - Was £1484 - £199 (Nov) = Now £1285 (Dec/Jan/Feb/Mar to go)

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 6th Nov 17, 10:34 AM
    • 2,102 Posts
    • 6,119 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning

The weekend was fun and as I didn't have yoga & volunteer thing to do I was a wee bit lost to start. Yesterday OH & I headed for a long walk along a beach which was a wee bit curtailed when we saw the massive rain cloud heading towards us. Last night we went out for dinner which OH paid from our piggy pot (£2 savings pot which he mainly filled this time ).

Today I'm on leave and OH has just left to drop off some Ebay sales to the Post office and I might start cleaning but then again I might not.....

I'm doing that forward planning thing in my head but putting it down here so that I can look back. Once I'm debt free I need to do the following:

1) YNAB buffer - £2000
    2) Emergency Fund - £5000
    3) Car (no plans to change for a long time) - £6000
    4) Massive buffer - £12,000

Total = £25,000

I'm not putting a time limit on my savings but I want them to be consistent and to have the YNAB buffer and smaller EF by the end of 2018.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 6th Nov 17, 10:27 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 5,841 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Your goals and time scale for the buffer and small EF seem eminently doable Munchin.

Also Iím sure your day off today did you a power of good.

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 7th Nov 17, 7:03 AM
    • 2,102 Posts
    • 6,119 Thanks
    Munchin
    Seaside - thanks - never want to be in debt again.

The day on leave was brilliant and I have a half day tomorrow to look forward to .

Yesterday was such a lazy day, after a quick tidy up we watched a film & pootled. OH cracked first and went and listed stuff on EBay & I did some ironing. I remember as a teenager sleeping in until the afternoon ...those days are long gone .

Iím on the train to work and feeling quite relaxed. Iíve checked - free postcode lottery/Swagbucks/Prolific. Will have a nosy at Facebook now & then snooze my way into Belfast.

I have nutritionist/kiniseologist (canít spell) tomorrow. I know Iíve said it before but things are starting to click on ED front. Last week I had a few blips and the Therapist said to me that I had really only started recovery which reassured me that blips are ok. Also made me think Ďdang, that money could be hitting my debtí.

Aiming for an NSD but heaven knows what might be planned for me today.
    • 117pauline
    • By 117pauline 8th Nov 17, 2:14 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 5,184 Thanks
    117pauline
    Hi Munchin

Thought I would pop over to your diary and say hello.

I reckon you are doing so well with the debt along with all the other things happening around you. It's difficult when death touches a family so please take what you can from your counsellor that blips happen. You just have to keep on, keeping on.

Both debt and therapy do not work in straight lines. I would recommend you to have a journal that records what works for you. When I am at my worst, I forget the things that help.

And I can empathise with you about the lack of sleep. It can take over your life.

On a brighter note, re you spotting deer on your run. Did you see this picture by Villager Jim?
    http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/news/peak-district-photographer-villager-jim-captures-real-life-bambi-scene-1-8833420

If you have a look at his website you will find the most beautiful pictures based around Chatsworth House. They are really food for the soul.

Take care
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 8th Nov 17, 9:29 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 5,841 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    What a lovely, thoughtful post Pauline. And the photo really was stunning.

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 9th Nov 17, 7:01 AM
    • 2,102 Posts
    • 6,119 Thanks
    Munchin
    Pauline - thank you so much for your beautiful, kind and as Seaside said thoughtful post. The picture is just stunning and exactly what I needed to see this morning.

Kinesiologist was concerned with my stress levels, kidneys and how cold I was (internally - no donít ask me ....is there a clueless smilie) and emailed my therapist but itís nice to feel they all have my back.

Ive made the decision to stand down from my role in the running club. I donít have the time to commit to it and I know Iím only doing half ajob and that adds to my anxiety.

As you can see Iím attempting to say Ďnoí a bit more.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 9th Nov 17, 8:07 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 5,841 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Ive made the decision to stand down from my role in the running club. I donít have the time to commit to it and I know Iím only doing half ajob and that adds to my anxiety.

As you can see Iím attempting to say Ďnoí a bit more.
    Originally posted by Munchin
    I think youíve made a wise decision Munchin if itís stressing you out. They will understand and hopefully you can always go back to it if you change your mind in the future.

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 12th Nov 17, 3:38 PM
    • 2,102 Posts
    • 6,119 Thanks
    Munchin
    Afternoon

Almost a lazy day. I woke up to a storm outside the window and I had plans to take pup with me for a run but it was so bitter, wet and cold that I left him in the house ...he wasn't happy and managed 2.5 mile run in between the showers. It really set me up for the day because once I had defrosted in the shower I went and got Mum for mass. I picked up some croissants for OH and myself and we had a nice leisurely breakfast.

I then decided while OH continued with his Ebay selling marathon to watch 'The Little Mermaid' , which I haven't seen in years. So that I didn't feel totally lazy I cleaned the kitchen and hoovered the hall and living room. I curled up with my book, tv and a mincepie. Perfect Sunday..now waiting to listen to Radio 5 live for F1 as we don't have Sky.

Another Xmas pressie off my list - nephew 2 wanted a second team top and I was happy to oblige as it saves me having to think what a 16 year old would like. Now I have to put thinking cap on for next 2 niece/nephew who are coming home to visit the second week in Dec.

My friend who's birthday party involves an overnight stay and hopefully lots of dancing emailed me to tell me about her new frock. Which means we are now dressing up for her night out....hopefully my little black dress is still able to zip up as I really don't want to spend money on a new frock when I have a few in the wardrobe that have shrunk

Plans this week - work work work & a trip to the dentist..

Christmas presents update @ 12 Nov

OH - £50 (was told to limit pressies)
    Sister 1 - £20
    Sister 2 - £20
    Uncle - £20 (jumper)
    Work chocs - £10
    Niece 1 - £20
    Nephew 3 - £20
    Brothers families - £40
    Cards & wrapping - £10
    Odds - £50

&
    Niece birthday - £10
    Sister birthday - £20

Pressies bought

Mum - asda gift voucher (£150 - pay £20 per month) + Yankee candles
    Work Xmas dinner - Paying monthly
    Nephew 1 - £30 - £35
    Nephew 2 - £30 - £30

Total - £350/£65

• Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 12th Nov 17, 8:10 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 5,841 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    I think you thoroughly deserved that mince pie Munchin after everything you managed to fit in beforehand - especially the storm-running!

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 14th Nov 17, 7:07 AM
    • 2,102 Posts
    • 6,119 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning

Very hard to roll out of bed this morning. Iím on the train now and was checking Argos for a heater to get me going but that would put electric up a good bit.

Yesterday was a good day. I did a run at lunchtime with running group & managed a work task which initially I found daunting but got there in the end.

About 2 weeks ago I ordered a mug/bowl/plate set for work & it turned up yesterday & looks brilliant (part of recovery to eat in peaceful & pleasant surroundings). It was £15 down to £5 so very chuffed.

I started a journal (thanks Pauline) & am scribbling away. I also started a spending paper diary. With YNAB I find it easier to spend as I move money within categories but with the notebook itís more accountable for me. Still doing YNAB but paper book will help with frittering. NSD yesterday. I did have a big spend thatís not counted - £443 for 1000 litres of heating oil. I did it through Boilerjuice so waiting to see if there are any bulk savings & I should hopefully get £7 cashback.

Work - I watched them starting to build the Xmas market from my window yesterday .

Plans today - nothing exciting, hopefully an NSD. Plans tmw - run & dentist.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 15th Nov 17, 7:12 AM
    • 2,102 Posts
    • 6,119 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning

Bright and early this morning with a Xmas update, I got my niece sorted . I asked my sis to give me a hint & my niece loves dressing up so I got her a costume from Tesco and used some vouchers & then got her some fairy wings from EBay - very pleased and less than £20. Ok I’m on to my final nephew now but he will be easy to buy as he’s only 6 months.

Had a guy out looking at Mums guttering - £80 - it’s the cheapest I found so far and even though I was tempted to do it myself I would probably break my neck.

Tried on black dress for friends b’day and it fits but not sure if I will wear it or jeans and top but either way I don’t have to buy anything new.

I have dentist today... please let it only be a check up.

Christmas presents update @ 19 Nov

OH - £50 (was told to limit pressies)
    Sister 1 - £20
    Sister 2 - £20
    Work chocs - £10
    Brothers families - £30
    Cards & wrapping - £10
    Odds - £50

&
    Niece birthday - £10
    Sister birthday - £20

Pressies bought

Mum - asda gift voucher (£150 - pay £20 per month) + Yankee candles
    Work Xmas dinner - Paying monthly
    Nephew 1 - £30 - £35
    Nephew 2 - £30 - £30
    Niece 1 - £20 - £15.75
    Nephew 3 - £20 £15.98
    Uncle - £20 (jumper) - £15 (was £35 but I used a voucher)

Total - £340/101.73

Last edited by Munchin; Yesterday at 6:06 PM.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 15th Nov 17, 10:05 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 5,841 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hope your dentist trip wasnít too onerous today!

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 16th Nov 17, 7:07 AM
    • 2,102 Posts
    • 6,119 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi Seaside, picked up nephew on way to dentist & then had to pretend I wasnít in any pain when dentist was scraping teeth . Clean bill of health & cost £17.26 which wasnít bad.

I was at therapy last night & it felt like a reset, which means I feel positive again. Therapist said 2 steps forward & 1 back is normal. Learnt EFT (Tapping solution) last night & practised it this morning when I was stressed racing to train station & it settled me....yes I know I looked nuts.

Xmas - Saw on Hot UK deals that Asda are doing their prosecco for 6 x £25 from 23rd so that could be a few Xmas pressies covered 😉. Xmas market at City Hall is up but doesnít open to Sat. Will be dandering through it most days.

Going to a report launch this morning... that should be riveting...not
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

163Posts Today

1,263Users online

Martin's Twitter