Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scarleyfarley
    • By scarleyfarley 13th Nov 17, 12:37 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 1Thanks
    scarleyfarley
    NATWEST/RBS and PLEVIN
    • 13th Nov 17, 12:37 PM
    NATWEST/RBS and PLEVIN 13th Nov 17 at 12:37 PM
    Hi, I am a little confused. I have had an offer on my PPI claim from RBS for an old 2003 NATWEST Loan but it doesnt include anything for PLEVIN. In my original claim I stated I was also claiming under the PLEVIN Rule. My offer doesnt mention PLEVIN at all. I called NATWEST and gave my number ref etc. She told me that all new claims are check for PLEVIN and as I havent been offered anything under the PLEVIN rule then it couldnt have applied, I said doesnt it apply to all PPI claim and she said no. I find this odd, why not state that the PLEVIN didnt apply and the reason why? To accept the offer, I have to complete a form stating full and final settlement of all or any claims against RBS/NATWEST PPI on that account number, so I am reluctant to sign as it seems to cut off any chance of claiming PLEVIN. Am I being fobbed off?
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 13th Nov 17, 12:43 PM
    • 14,046 Posts
    • 14,738 Thanks
    zx81
    • 13th Nov 17, 12:43 PM
    • 13th Nov 17, 12:43 PM
    Plevin will only apply if commission was over 50%, and not at all if you have received (or been offered) redress for mis selling.

There doesn't seem to be any fobbage taking place.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 13th Nov 17, 12:58 PM
    • 18,711 Posts
    • 9,970 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 13th Nov 17, 12:58 PM
    • 13th Nov 17, 12:58 PM
    Hi, I am a little confused. I have had an offer on my PPI claim from RBS for an old 2003 NATWEST Loan but it doesnt include anything for PLEVIN.
    Originally posted by scarleyfarley
    Sounds as if they've ignored your Plevin concerns and decided that your PPI policy was completely mis-sold.

Since a Plevin refund would only apply to a complaint otherwise rejected, you haven't lost out.

Instead (I assume) you've been refunded the whole PPI plus interest, which will be a considerably larger amount.

Why did you "complain" solely about Plevin if you haven't already been rejected in the past for a full refund?

Plevin will only apply if commission was over 50%, and not at all if you have received (or been offered) redress for mis selling.
    Originally posted by zx81
    Actually, a full refund and redress will include any commission paid.
    • sun73
    • By sun73 14th Nov 17, 7:50 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    sun73
    • 14th Nov 17, 7:50 PM
    • 14th Nov 17, 7:50 PM
    Just out of interest, what if you've only received a partial refund because PPI records were missing.

Could you still submit a claim under Plevin as this might not have been taken into account when the lender made their original offer?

I'm thinking of PPI sold with store cards, did they involve high commission? Thanks
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 14th Nov 17, 8:14 PM
    • 18,711 Posts
    • 9,970 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 14th Nov 17, 8:14 PM
    • 14th Nov 17, 8:14 PM
    what if you've only received a partial refund because PPI records were missing.
    Originally posted by sun73
    Plevin only applies to rejected complaints, a partial refund is not a rejection.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 15th Nov 17, 10:42 AM
    • 89,517 Posts
    • 55,954 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 15th Nov 17, 10:42 AM
    • 15th Nov 17, 10:42 AM
    Just out of interest, what if you've only received a partial refund because PPI records were missing.
    Plevin would not apply as the complaint was successful and a refund of evidenced or calculated premiums was made in full.

Could you still submit a claim under Plevin as this might not have been taken into account when the lender made their original offer?
    No. As you would have received a refund of the evidenced/calculated premiums in full, there is nothing else to receive a refund on.

I'm thinking of PPI sold with store cards, did they involve high commission?
    Don't know. Credit card PPI was borderline on the tipping point. However, in the majority of cases, it is profitshare that is taking it over the tipping point. I don't know if store cards did profit share or not. We will have to wait until we see some store card posts on plevin to see what happens.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • ~Brock~
    • By ~Brock~ 16th Nov 17, 8:23 AM
    • 1,572 Posts
    • 1,457 Thanks
    ~Brock~
    • 16th Nov 17, 8:23 AM
    • 16th Nov 17, 8:23 AM
    If the loan was taken out in 2003, Plevin will only apply if there was still a balance outstanding after April 2008.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,796Posts Today

7,311Users online

Martin's Twitter