Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • K789
    • By K789 14th Nov 17, 3:19 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 1Thanks
    K789
    How do I build up my credit rating fast?
    • 14th Nov 17, 3:19 PM
    How do I build up my credit rating fast? 14th Nov 17 at 3:19 PM
    Hi

So I want to get a mortgage but my credit score is causing a slight problem.

I have never damaged my credit history, however I think the problem is that I haven't ever taken out much credit in the past so it's hard for potential lenders to to lend to me.

I had just attempted to apply for what I thought would be an easy to get loan (so I could put footprints on my credit file) and I was turned down.

Can anyone recommend a loan company who would accept someone with a lack of credit history so that I can create footprints, so show that I am responsible with money?
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 14th Nov 17, 3:20 PM
    • 14,058 Posts
    • 14,753 Thanks
    zx81
    • 14th Nov 17, 3:20 PM
    • 14th Nov 17, 3:20 PM
    Ignore your score and forget about getting loans.

Get a card with a sub prime provider. Use regularly and clear in full each month.

That is the easiest and free way to build a credit history (not a score). Make sure you're on the ER.

When you come to apply for a mortgage, use a broker who can place your application correctly.
    • K789
    • By K789 14th Nov 17, 3:54 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    K789
    • 14th Nov 17, 3:54 PM
    • 14th Nov 17, 3:54 PM
    Do you know how long that may take before I have a good credit score?
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 14th Nov 17, 4:04 PM
    • 2,472 Posts
    • 1,848 Thanks
    Candyapple
    • 14th Nov 17, 4:04 PM
    Do you know how long that may take before I have a good credit score?
    Originally posted by K789

Ignore your score and forget about getting loans.

Get a card with a sub prime provider. Use regularly and clear in full each month.

That is the easiest and free way to build a credit history (not a score). Make sure you're on the ER.

When you come to apply for a mortgage, use a broker who can place your application correctly.
    Originally posted by zx81
    Did you even read the post?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • zx81
    • By zx81 14th Nov 17, 4:04 PM
    • 14,058 Posts
    • 14,753 Thanks
    zx81
    Ignore your score.

The longer you demonstrate good behaviour, the better. It varies by lender, but a mortgage is going to require more than a few months of using a card.

It all depends on your complete circumstances.
    • K789
    • By K789 14th Nov 17, 5:35 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    K789
    • 14th Nov 17, 5:35 PM
    • 14th Nov 17, 5:35 PM
    That's why I was hoping to take out a few personal loans and pay them all back in full early. But I was hoping someone could put me onto companies how would definitely give me a loan
    • K789
    • By K789 14th Nov 17, 5:36 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    K789
    • 14th Nov 17, 5:36 PM
    • 14th Nov 17, 5:36 PM
    If I used a guarantor to get a loan would that still show up on my credit file as if I were the one taking out the loan?
    • Superscrooge
    • By Superscrooge 14th Nov 17, 7:21 PM
    • 906 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    Superscrooge
    • 14th Nov 17, 7:21 PM
    • 14th Nov 17, 7:21 PM
    Why are you obsessed with taking out a loan which will mean unnecessary interest payments when you can simply follow ZX81's advice and take out a sub prime credit card. Pay the balance in full each month and build a credit history for free?

If you have little credit history, any loan applications will either be refused or will be at a very high rate of interest
    • cjmillsnun
    • By cjmillsnun 14th Nov 17, 7:25 PM
    • 296 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    cjmillsnun
    • 14th Nov 17, 7:25 PM
    • 14th Nov 17, 7:25 PM
    If I used a guarantor to get a loan would that still show up on my credit file as if I were the one taking out the loan?
    Please do not use a guarantor to get a loan. Amigo loans are IMO worse than loan sharks. They have criminally high interest rates, and if you get into financial trouble, the poor guarantor is lumbered with a debt they never wanted. Also mortgage companies may view it poorly as getting into unnecessary debt which could impact affordability.

ZX81 is right to suggest getting a card. Use it to no more than half the credit limit and pay off in FULL every month.

If you're on a PAYG mobile get a sim only contract as well. Other than that, it takes time. There is no quick fix.
    Last edited by cjmillsnun; 14-11-2017 at 7:31 PM.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 14th Nov 17, 7:39 PM
    • 14,058 Posts
    • 14,753 Thanks
    zx81
    That's why I was hoping to take out a few personal loans and pay them all back in full early. But I was hoping someone could put me onto companies how would definitely give me a loan
    Taking out 'a few personal loans' will tell lenders you are desperate for cash, with no contingency funds.

Surprisingly, that's not a good look when you're applying for a mortgage.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 14th Nov 17, 8:03 PM
    • 30,273 Posts
    • 19,151 Thanks
    DCFC79
    A guarantor isnt the answer.

Just dont go there.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 15th Nov 17, 2:10 PM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 988 Thanks
    MEM62
    There is no shortcut. Just take out a sub-prime card and use regularly to build up a history of sing credit responsibly. Using lots of credit over a short space of time does not have the effect of 'speeding up' your credit standing.

Patience is required.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 15th Nov 17, 5:25 PM
    • 1,562 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Yes and it would monumentally screw you because a loan requiring a guarantor typically involves a sub-prime lender like Amigo. Companies like that and pay day loan companies are viewed as negatives on a credit file by proper lenders because they're a lender of last resort so you have to be in a pretty bad financial shape to go there.

Only time is going to help you so do as you have been advised. Spending money on interest on a loan you don't need just to raise a score no lender uses is insanity.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

160Posts Today

1,254Users online

Martin's Twitter