Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • short2005
    • By short2005 12th Nov 17, 9:16 AM
    • 11Posts
    • 5Thanks
    short2005
    Cycling and skidding into a car
    • 12th Nov 17, 9:16 AM
    Cycling and skidding into a car 12th Nov 17 at 9:16 AM
    Really looking for some advice please.
    My husband was cycling to work for his night shift and whilst on company property entering the car park he skidded on some grit and stones and was thrown over the handle bars into a oncoming car that was leaving the car park.
    Thankfully he was not hurt and the driver asked was he ok,My husband was shaken up and they both decided to log the accident the following day (my husband does not personally know the driver of the vehicle but they both work in the same area of a large industrial site .
    They were both on the same shift the following day and both made statements to security, My husband said the vehicle was going slow and the driver said he was stationary ...The driver said there are two dents and a crease to his vehicle that he has had a quote from someone local to him at a cost of 1500 pound if he goes through insurance or 500 if we pay him directly.
    My husband had no bike insurance (he has now ) we are also not insured on the home insurance.
    We don't know for sure if all the damage was caused by the collision with my husband as the bike did not touch the car just my husbands shoulder.
    My husband hoped the company would cover the costs but so far
    it does not look good.
    The driver of the vehicle has been to see my husband in work today and has basically threatened him saying" if you don't pay my wife wants me to take your head off but I wont do that yet "and that we have until next week to decide, he said he would accept a payment plan of a 100 pound a month otherwise he is taking my husband to court.
    My husband does not want to report the threat as he does not want to see anyone lose their job.
    Morally we feel for the guy and feel maybe we should pay but feel we cannot just hand over 500 pound to someone on his say so ...
    Any advice please ?
Page 2
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 12th Nov 17, 4:58 PM
    • 9,898 Posts
    • 7,958 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    When I started work 42 years ago, failure to clean spillage off the floor was used as an example to educate employees about new Health and Safety legislation that made employees jointly responsible in addition to the existing responsibility of employers.
    Originally posted by jack_pott
    Liquid spillage on a factory floor is very different from loose grit on an access road
    • Rolandtheroadie
    • By Rolandtheroadie 12th Nov 17, 6:26 PM
    • 4,779 Posts
    • 4,198 Thanks
    Rolandtheroadie
    Yup and a rep stating their opinion and it actually being fact are a very different thing.
    The OP on the other hand is confident this is a done deal.....
    Originally posted by custardy
    Definately, but was just clarifying.......
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 12th Nov 17, 7:10 PM
    • 2,361 Posts
    • 3,369 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Whether or not you have insurance cover makes absolutely no difference to whether your husband was negligent. All it means is that, if he was negligent, you have to pay the money yourselves and can't go through the insurers. The negligence issue remains the same.

So - was he negligent or not? If so, then the car driver is perfectly within his rights to claim the £500 from you - and perfectly within his rights to take you to court if you don't pay. His insurers are also within their rights to come to you for reimbursement of the full cost of repairs.

This is why we have insurance. You chose not to have it.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 13th Nov 17, 1:12 PM
    • 698 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    sevenhills
    Really looking for some advice please.
    My husband was cycling to work for his night shift and whilst on company property entering the car park he skidded on some grit and stones and was thrown over the handle bars into a oncoming car that was leaving the car park.
    Thankfully he was not hurt and the driver asked was he ok,My husband was shaken up and they both decided to log the accident the following day (my husband does not personally know the driver of the vehicle but they both work in the same area of a large industrial site .
    Originally posted by short2005
    If your husband went 'over' the handlebars, I am surprised he was just shaken-up. Over the handlebars would require some speed and stopping suddenly.

• Clifford_Pope
    • By Clifford_Pope 13th Nov 17, 2:28 PM
    • 3,382 Posts
    • 3,468 Thanks
    Clifford_Pope
    Skidding on grit is a risk with cycling and does not sound negligent.
    Originally posted by Tom99
    Is this new grit applied since he cycled in to work the day before?
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 13th Nov 17, 3:12 PM
    • 2,885 Posts
    • 1,964 Thanks
    AndyPix
    And how do you go over the handlebars by skidding on grit
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • Teapot55
    • By Teapot55 13th Nov 17, 4:16 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    Teapot55
    What caused him to have to brake?

would've . . . could've . . . should've . . .

A.A.A.S. (Associate of the Acronym Abolition Society)

There's definitely no 'a' in 'definitely'.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 13th Nov 17, 5:28 PM
    • 4,260 Posts
    • 5,468 Thanks
    jack_pott
    Liquid spillage on a factory floor is very different from loose grit on an access road
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    It may or it may not be. Either way, H&S legislation is about the need to maintain a safe workplace, not for nitpicking over the difference between liquid and grit. (Nor did I say anything about liquids or factories.)
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • Retrogamer
    • By Retrogamer 14th Nov 17, 6:54 AM
    • 3,787 Posts
    • 3,772 Thanks
    Retrogamer
    He was not cycling too fast ,it happened because of grit and stones on the road
    Originally posted by short2005
    He fell off because he cycled across grit and stones too quickly. If you cycle over that kind of terrain slowly, you don't fall off.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 14th Nov 17, 7:35 AM
    • 3,957 Posts
    • 2,464 Thanks
    csgohan4
    life is about choices. you chose to save money and not get bike insurance when you needed it in this case.

Insurance is expensive when you don't need it but good when you do.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • custardy
    • By custardy 14th Nov 17, 7:57 AM
    • 32,687 Posts
    • 27,407 Thanks
    custardy
    life is about choices. you chose to save money and not get bike insurance when you needed it in this case.

Insurance is expensive when you don't need it but good when you do.
    Originally posted by csgohan4
    Its not even expensive.
    £37 a year for up to £10,000000 liability.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/thirdpartyliability
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 14th Nov 17, 1:40 PM
    • 3,957 Posts
    • 2,464 Thanks
    csgohan4
    Its not even expensive.
    £37 a year for up to £10,000000 liability.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/thirdpartyliability
    Originally posted by custardy
    it is to some, hence why some people don't buy it Or think they need it for the cost
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,682Posts Today

6,960Users online

Martin's Twitter