Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Steb33
    • By Steb33 9th Nov 17, 11:27 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Steb33
    Child benefit help
    • 9th Nov 17, 11:27 AM
    Child benefit help 9th Nov 17 at 11:27 AM
    I've recently had a bill through the door for three previous tax years where apparently I owe back child benifit, this is despite never claiming it, or receiving a penny of it, my wife deals with all that, and neither of us were ever told about a change in the law! On top of that I've been fined for not filing tax returns despite being PAYE, surely they can't change the law, not tell you then leave you to build up debt for 4 years that you have no idea about then land you with a huge bill?? Can I challenge this legally?
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 9th Nov 17, 11:35 AM
    • 905 Posts
    • 736 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 9th Nov 17, 11:35 AM
    • 9th Nov 17, 11:35 AM
    Well do you earn over the threshold? (either you or your wife)
    I doubt you've been fined for not filling tax returns, but rather not updating your claim.

Ofcourse the law can change without you being told, it happens quite regularly. It's down to you to keep up to date with things - especially those likely to affect you
    • haras_nosirrah
    • By haras_nosirrah 10th Nov 17, 2:09 PM
    • 1,301 Posts
    • 2,446 Thanks
    haras_nosirrah
    • 10th Nov 17, 2:09 PM
    • 10th Nov 17, 2:09 PM
    There has been a lot of press and news about those earning over 50k having to declare and possibly repay child benefit (50k to 60k is tapered and over 60k you get nothing)

They may not have told you personally but there was a lot of advertising about it.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • haras_nosirrah
    • By haras_nosirrah 10th Nov 17, 2:23 PM
    • 1,301 Posts
    • 2,446 Thanks
    haras_nosirrah
    • 10th Nov 17, 2:23 PM
    • 10th Nov 17, 2:23 PM
    someone has legally challenged it and failed

http://www.bailii.org/uk/cases/UKFTT/TC/2017/TC05577.html
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

1,503Users online

Martin's Twitter