Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Smb3088
    • By Smb3088 6th May 17, 8:26 PM
    • 211Posts
    • 23Thanks
    Smb3088
    Toilet water bill?
    • 6th May 17, 8:26 PM
    Toilet water bill? 6th May 17 at 8:26 PM
    I have a faulty toilet valve causing problems with water rising in my cistern then overfilling and trickling out into the overflow and into the pan...how significantly is the water bill impacted. #worrier
Page 1
    • London50
    • By London50 6th May 17, 8:35 PM
    • 1,528 Posts
    • 1,443 Thanks
    London50
    • 6th May 17, 8:35 PM
    • 6th May 17, 8:35 PM
    I would think only to a very small amount, if you are that worried about the water cost just adjust the float in your cistern so the water shuts off and is not wasted:0)
    • Smb3088
    • By Smb3088 6th May 17, 8:42 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Smb3088
    • 6th May 17, 8:42 PM
    • 6th May 17, 8:42 PM
    I'm trying but something is causing the inlet valve to malfunction. And it's a work in progress trying to figure out what lol. I the meantime bit concerned on my water loss
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 6th May 17, 8:47 PM
    • 60,707 Posts
    • 354,881 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 6th May 17, 8:47 PM
    • 6th May 17, 8:47 PM
    If the loo's fairly new, then you might find there's a "little screw" in the water-in pipe outside of the cistern... that you can turn and turn the water off.... if you've got that, then flush the loo, wait for the cistern to refill, then turn the water off with the little screw until next time.

A constant dribble COULD be costing you £1-2/day ... but that's a pure guess. But it's certainly not "50p/month extra"
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 06-05-2017 at 8:49 PM.
    • victor2
    • By victor2 6th May 17, 8:48 PM
    • 4,709 Posts
    • 3,141 Thanks
    victor2
    • 6th May 17, 8:48 PM
    • 6th May 17, 8:48 PM
    Can you read your water meter?
    I so, take a reading and take another an hour later with no water having been used (apart from the overflowing toilet). You should then be able to work out how much water has been used, and from that work out the cost per day etc.
    • London50
    • By London50 6th May 17, 8:52 PM
    • 1,528 Posts
    • 1,443 Thanks
    London50
    • 6th May 17, 8:52 PM
    • 6th May 17, 8:52 PM
    Possible that the washer in the inlet valve is stuck or has some grit in it therefore stopping the valve to shut off totally.
    I would try turning off the water, disconnect the whole unit to see if that is the problem {if it is the washer} just reverse it or take it to a local Wickes/B&Q and get it replaced.
    For myself and no I am not a plumber I would say the strip down/clean and rebuild would take about 30 mins plus/minus any trip to the shops. :0)
    • Smb3088
    • By Smb3088 6th May 17, 9:04 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Smb3088
    • 6th May 17, 9:04 PM
    • 6th May 17, 9:04 PM
    I replaced the ininlet valve just last Sunday... And weird- I turned off the mains water supply.. Returned home and somehow.. The cistern had filled and the inlet valve malfunctioned causing the overspill.. Even with the mains supply off? So confused..
    • London50
    • By London50 6th May 17, 9:23 PM
    • 1,528 Posts
    • 1,443 Thanks
    London50
    • 6th May 17, 9:23 PM
    • 6th May 17, 9:23 PM
    Not possible if the mains water was turned off unless you have a cold water tank {therefore a low pressure cistern} or the mains stopc0ck was not fully off {that I find unlikely else you would have water running when you removed inlet valve.}
    If you do have a cold water tank there should be a gate valve to stop any water coming from it when it is closed.
    Other than that if all else fails call a plumber ;0)
    • Smb3088
    • By Smb3088 6th May 17, 9:38 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Smb3088
    • 6th May 17, 9:38 PM
    • 6th May 17, 9:38 PM
    If I turn off the mains supply - no water comes through from the taps? Therefore I assumed it was off? But on my combo boiler I have a hot tap icon/ cold/ heating gas icon ... Therefore could it be due to having a cold water tank ?? And the fact I was away a few days the small pressure caused the cistern to overfill ?? Perhaps I should turn the boiler off at the wall? As I left the switch on, but it's not currently running it heating or doing anything ??
    • London50
    • By London50 6th May 17, 9:44 PM
    • 1,528 Posts
    • 1,443 Thanks
    London50
    Your combi boiler should not have any bearing on your cistern as that is just for your heating and hot water. I was thinking more of a cold water cistern in a loft/airing cupboard supping cold water to your bathroom sink/bath and your toilet.
    • Smb3088
    • By Smb3088 6th May 17, 10:00 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Smb3088
    Not that I'm aware ? Would you suggest Isolating the toilet snd switching off the touket supply water as well as the mains to see if that helps? I have a screw type shut off valve that needs turned with a flat screw driver so the line faces horizontal not vertical - do I twist this right or left to shut off water at toilet? Thank you in advance
    • zaax
    • By zaax 6th May 17, 10:06 PM
    • 1,801 Posts
    • 715 Thanks
    zaax
    you need to fix it as a quite a small flow will up add up.
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
    • London50
    • By London50 6th May 17, 10:12 PM
    • 1,528 Posts
    • 1,443 Thanks
    London50
    Yes give that a try, as for the screw valve it could be either way so turn it first one way, flush the toilet then see if it starts to fill if so turn the other way.
    Another quick thing to try first is flush the toilet, when the water starts to refill the cistern pull the ball valve up by hand until the water stops, if the float comes above the overflow outlet by more than 2/3rd of the float before the water stops then the problem is the seating washer inside the valve so would need replacing :0)
    • MattE9
    • By MattE9 8th May 17, 11:22 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MattE9
    Get a plumber to fix it!
    • Nooglienoo
    • By Nooglienoo 9th May 17, 9:02 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nooglienoo
    You can actually contact your water company and they can do a leak reduction or something along those lines I do believe? Not sure of the details of it but I know my parents had to do it after a leak ran them up a HUGE bill.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 10th May 17, 12:00 AM
    • 3,825 Posts
    • 1,519 Thanks
    footyguy
    I have a faulty toilet valve causing problems with water rising in my cistern then overfilling and trickling out into the overflow and into the pan...how significantly is the water bill impacted. #worrier
    Originally posted by Smb3088
    Not at all if you are an un-metered customer.

If you are metered, you'll know you pay for every drop, so every drop down the drain is literally money down the drain.

Get it sorted.
    Even if you are un-metered. Water is a valuable resource. Do not waste it.

• claymartinn
    • By claymartinn 8th Nov 17, 3:53 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    claymartinn
    Help in choosing the most cost-efficient toilet replacement
    Hey guys, I have a similar problem and I was thinking of replacing my old toilet possibly next week. I've been searching for forums and blogs about choosing a water-saving toilet and I'm still having second thoughts about the TOTO toilet that I usually see on suggestions. Do you guys think that it's really cost-efficient? I no longer want to spend so much money on my water bill just because of our toilet that makes my bill high every month. Any recommendations? Kindly suggest similar reviews like this one: jenreviews.com/best-toilet if you have other suggested toilets. I badly need help deciding which brand I should choose until weekend. Hope you guys can help me with this. Thanks in advance!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

647Posts Today

6,360Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LeGrimpeur123: @MartinSLewis Yes, we got on the eastjet website just before 7am and booked two adult return tickets to Faro from Southe?

• Today's twitter poll: Should restaurants be forced to show calories on menus? Which of these is closest to your view...

• RT @Keysey888: @MartinSLewis Our flight has already gone up by £25 each way, happy I got on early, basically got my front row seats for fre?

• Follow Martin