Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop

Comments

• geoffW
    geoffW Posts: 181
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Jonmenzies wrote: »
    I honestly cant believe this post is still going. You would need to be a Philadelphia (the city not the soft cheese) lawyer to work it all out. Sorry but life is way to short to be faffing about with powerpacks. Supply me with power and tell me what to pay. Sorry if this goes against what you are trying to save but come on the previous posts on here must have took ages to type. And all about saving what £1 a month. COME ON

I am sorry but you are wrong, many people are interested in trying out Powershop and like me need guidance, so I say to people like Hengus etc. thank you.
  • fewkeste
    fewkeste Posts: 534
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I honestly cant believe this post is still going. You would need to be a Philadelphia (the city not the soft cheese) lawyer to work it all out. Sorry but life is way to short to be faffing about with powerpacks. Supply me with power and tell me what to pay. Sorry if this goes against what you are trying to save but come on the previous posts on here must have took ages to type. And all about saving what £1 a month. COME ON

You are entitled to your opinion.

However, I would ask you to think about history. How many times in the past have people tried to introduce new and innovative ways of doing things and machines and technology, only to meet resistance from a large proportion of the population?

PS are trying to introduce a new way of buying power. It 'rewards' those customers who think about their usage, read their meters and generally get a grip on their energy consumption.

Keeping records (meter reading, past bills, estimating future bills etc.) was something I already did so I was a natural fit for the way PS do things. You DON'T have to do what I do as PS systems will do a lot of it for you - it's just nice to have my own independent means of tracking my consumption and bills.

PS state somewhere they are trying to encourage people to pay more attention to their energy usage and, presumably by reading meters and thinking about past and future energy consumption and associated bills they are achieving that.

If you don't wish to engage that's perfectly OK - but you might find it interesting - you just have to be bothered. You just have to invest a bit of your time understanding things. Your choice, no-one else's.:D
  • System
    System Posts: 178,076
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin

I think that you may have meant a saving of £1 a week. There isn’t a lot of ‘faffing about’ as you put it. Powershop notifies me when there are powerpacks available (usually at the beginning and in the middle of the month) and they give me time to decide whether to buy or not. I also get an e-mail once a week with an update on my usage. Buying powerpacks is a button push in the app or online. There isn’t anything difficult or time consuming about this way of buying energy. The app is useful for those who cannot be bothered to set up spreadsheets to monitor usage.

Give it a try: you can leave immediately if you don’t like what is on offer without an exit fee. There is, I accept, a learning curve for ‘old dogs’ like me.
  • fewkeste
    Forumite
    Hengus wrote: »
    That said, the 39p saving is only applied to the unit prices charged as the daily standing charge remains fixed.
    Are you sure about this? I'm sure I asked PS CS about this and they said the credit you build up is applied to the whole bill - Std, E7 AND daily standing charge.

Does your bill tell a different story?
  • Powershop_UK
    Powershop_UK Posts: 18 Organisation Representative
    Hi Hengus, fewkeste and other MSE'ers

The Powershop crew "pause" in posting into the forum in answer to your questions has not been a disappearing act, more a period of digestion and discussion at our end. One thing we don't want to do, especially when it comes to engaged forum customers (or potential customers) is to be reactive - we would like to be proactive. If we can't come back with "we are changing the way we do ..." then at the very least we want to come back with the most considered answer possible.

Query:

1. PS worried that more customers will do nothing and just go with the fixed price equivalent tariff?

2. Just matching movements in the fixed price market?

3. PS anticipating an increase in the SVT in the next 12 months?

(1) Perhaps not worried, but it is something we discuss often. A customer who does not get good value from Powershop is not going to be a happy customer in the medium to long term. How we engage disengaged customers will be one of our ongoing challenges. Outbound welcome call campaigns, better on-boarding messaging, anniversary messaging, giving good metrics around the benefits of engagement - these are all things we are looking at right now. One thing are are comfortable saying is that a disengaged customer sitting on our standard tariff is not what we are about, and it is why we introduced the “Promise” so that customers can try us out. We fundamentally believe it’s better for everyone if customers are engaged with their usage and costs.

(2) While not letting our “Promise” pricing cat completely out of the bag - we can say there are quite a few factors driving where we sit on PCW's with regards to both the easy saver promise and the full easy saver rate. Competitors’ product ends, general market conditions, short and medium views of wholesale market conditions, even something as mundane as growing our capacity to serve customers are taken into account when we look at price movements.

(3) When we started trading in January (our soft launch) we had no plans to change our SVT up or down in our first trading year – we do check this continually, and we will re visit this as we get closer to our dual fuel launch in 2018. Regardless of what happens with SVT, their “Promise” rate is the maximum which a customer (who joined after April, Sorry fewkeste) will pay over the first year.

Once again, thanks for all the discussions and feedback and thoughts -

The Powershop Crew
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Powershop UK. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    There is, I accept, a learning curve for ‘old dogs’ like me.

I must admit, I tend to think of you as our friendly guinea pig, rather than an 'old dog'? :D

Unless you've had some more birthdays? :rotfl:
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • System
    Community Admin
    fewkeste wrote: »
    Are you sure about this? I'm sure I asked PS CS about this and they said the credit you build up is applied to the whole bill - Std, E7 AND daily standing charge.

Does your bill tell a different story?

The value comes off the whole bill; however, 'About Your Tariff' shows the following:

Standard Tariff: Daily Charge 16.6p day and 13.5p/kWh

Effective Price with Powerpacks: Daily Charge 16.6p/day and 10.8p/kwh
  • fewkeste
    Forumite
    The value comes off the whole bill; however, 'About Your Tariff' shows the following:

Standard Tariff: Daily Charge 16.6p day and 13.5p/kWh

Effective Price with Powerpacks: Daily Charge 16.6p/day and 10.8p/kwh

How confusing! I've just looked at my tariff online and my Pioneers (Shopper) shows reduced effective rates for Std and E7 per kWh (11.74/6.59 respectively) but also shows the daily standing charge as undiscounted at 15.76p/day, yet I specifically asked the question if the standing charge was paid for out of the discounted Powerpack pot and I was told yes.

@Powershop person - can you clarify please?
  • Powershop_UK
    Powershop_UK Posts: 18 Organisation Representative
    edited 21 July 2017 at 5:31PM
    Hi fewkeste,

Thanks for the post.

The Powerpacks and their discounts in your shop will cover both your usage (p/kwh) charge and your standing (p/day) charge.

We've given ourselves a bit of extra room on the Tariff Comparison Label (TIL) by not showing the standing charge discounted at all. This is one of the reasons we're so confident that our lowest rate is achievable, because it's understated! ;)

Hope this helps!

The Powershop Crew
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Powershop UK. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • System
    Community Admin
    Hi fewkeste,

Thanks for the post.

The Powerpacks and their discounts in your shop will cover both your usage (p/kwh) charge and your standing (p/day) charge.

We've given ourselves a bit of extra room on the Tariff Comparison Label (TIL) by not showing the standing charge discounted at all. This is one of the reasons we're so confident that our lowest rate is achievable, because it's understated! ;)

Hope this helps!

The Powershop Crew

No wonder an ‘old dog’ is having problems understanding this offer. You have included an effective Easy Saver tariff in the Welcome E-mail with a daily charge and a unit price which you now admit is incorrect - or have I misunderstood your post? Why not just quote it as an annual cost which can be achieved by buying Powerpacks? How can TiLs apply to a tariff which doesn’t actually exist?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback