£170000 in 10 years

Options

Comments

• try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning the madvix.Sorry i have been absent the last couple of weeks ,i have been spending a lot of time with my grandchildren and have rather neglected my money saving exploits .We have a huge amount of expenses between now and the end of the year all to do with children and grandchildren ,we have children off travelling and 4 big birthdays to think about plus some work needs doing on our house so mortgage over payments have been put on hold although i will still be overpaying a little each week after i have paid into my savings.My food ,petrol and diesel budgets are all still good and i am still managing to hit my £10 a day selling on ebax and gumtrex which i am pleased about.My husband continues to work very hard and i try to help where i can The weather has been lovely and i love to be warm ,last year we lit our aga quite early in september as i was cold and then it warmed up again so wished i hadnt as i used 1.5 tons of coal which was a lot more expensive than the previous year when i didnt light it until the first week in december ,that is another expense i have to pay for in the next few weeks.Hope everyone is ok and now going to catch up with some diaries.
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,897 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Sounds like life is rather busy at the moment! :) It's good to be enjoying the weather and I don't blame you for spending time with the grandchildren - apparently they grow up very fast (I don't have children yet, but isn't that what everyone says?!).

Good results on the Ebay front and all those spending opportunities sound like a chance to get lots of cashback for OPs ;)

We've just had a new boiler fitted, so I'm looking forward to being warmer this year - I'm so tight about the heating, but our old boiler was 23 yrs old, so new super-duper efficient one should be able to keep us warm at a far lower cost. Let's hope we have a nice warm September so boilers/agas stay off (I'd love an aga, it's part of the dream we're aiming for!). Hope not to put heating on till halfway through October!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• skimper
    skimper Posts: 372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Maybe the wrong time of year but have you thought about growing your own veg? It will take a while for hem to grow but once they do you'll start saving there.

You can take the seeds out of peppers/tomatoes for example so you wouldn't even need to buy the seeds.
  • Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Try Harder - nice to see you back, it sounds like you are having a lovely summer with your family. We too have quite a few expensive family things coming up, life does get in the way of our best intentions doesn't it.
  • try_harder
    Options
    Morning all,hi the madvix ,yes i have been having a wonderful time with the grandchildren ,they finished school much earlier than most others ,i have had a lovely couple of weeks enjoying the sun .I am very lucky that i dont work so i can be around when my daughter needs me too so that is one of the advantages.Today we have our other children coming to stay for a week so it will be lovely .Yes it is lovely to have an aga we also have a woodburner in our lounge but it is hard work ,all the coal has to be loaded in and out even when its very cold outside and the wood too ,all the work surfaces and blinds get thin layersof black on them and have to be regularly cleaned and the woodburner and aga need constant cleaning out ,many a time i have wished for a click of a switch and the heatings on.My dream is to live in a cottage with a view of nothing but barley fields ,that is my dream.Thank you skimper and hi.We did grow our own vegs for a few years and we still have 3 veg gardens just been so busy this year ,im no good at gardening so needs my husbands green fingers but i do hope next year ,i will make that a priority.
  • try_harder
    Options
    Morning busy mee 1. Hope alls good with you ,yes very expensive time ,we have 2 children off travelling so i am feeling very nervous ,i am glad that they are adventurous but i am not so its hard for me ,i guess its just part of being a mum .Several big birthdays coming up amongst the children partners and grandchildren and lots of lovely parties too and then it will be christmas so i think i shall be hard pushed to reach any of my overpayment targets before the end of the year after putting aside savings but i will continue to put any small amounts i can in.We are also going to put another extension on to our house next year for two reasons ,one the extra room of course but also we hope to raise the value ,my husband will do most of the work himself hopefully
    I am glad alls going well with you although i notice you are busy like me with family ,work being done on the house and annoyingly ebax which sees me too having to get the car out and post by 12 an item costing £2 but i guess it all adds up but does seem very slow and hard work at the minute.
  • try_harder
    Options
    Well i am back ,i could not remember my password and try as i might i could not get the new passwords they sent me correct either but today i thought i would give it another try and yay it worked.I am so pleased to be back ,i have been reading all the diaries throughout the time i have been missing and wanting to comment but was not able too.Things are going along pretty much the same but ops have almost stopped whilst savings have become higher so that is something .I am working on becoming mortgage neutural in december 21 so 5 years time .My plan is to start in earnest in january 2017 to save and op each month.I have been boosting up my Isa too and seeing some great results there so all going in the right direction .I am so pleased to be back.
  • giblet1979
    Options
    Hi - it sounds like you have been doing great! I've really enjoyed reading your diary and think you've done so well already
    Gib x
    Debt remaining: :(
    Mortgage - £117,759 (£134,600, Nov 2013)

Work overpayment and home improvement loan paid back (£19200) :beer:

• try_harder
    Options
    Thank you very much giblet .
  • try_harder
    Options
    Had a tot up today and savings are all on target and my isa that i opened a few moths ago is doing brilliantly ,i can invest any amount over £100 at any time and the choice of funds is very good so i just plough in a hundred when ever i have it and buy shares in another trust fund ,all except one have had good gains ,obviously they can go down too but at the minute alls good.Not such a good week on the food front but hopefully i will get back on target this week it makes such a huge difference if im good so must work very hard at it this week .No more ops now until January ,i should end the year at £167000 and £13000 in savings ,not bad for a few months work ,i am aiming to be mortgage neutural by the end of 2021 but savings i think will be the priority each month ,any money remaining will go to the mortgage ,i am aiming to save £1000 a month which is very very good for us considering that we have never ever saved until now
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure