Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop

Comments

• MrChips
    MrChips Posts: 1,010
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ah ok. So if hypothetically I gave a meter reading on the first and last day of the month and the all in cost was calculated (standing charge and energy charge), then the £ cost of the pack would be set off against that?
    If I had a pound for every time I didn't play the lottery...
  • System
    System Posts: 178,076
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    MrChips wrote: »
    Ah ok. So if hypothetically I gave a meter reading on the first and last day of the month and the all in cost was calculated (standing charge and energy charge), then the £ cost of the pack would be set off against that?

It is not that simple. Billing periods vary. My current billing period is 7 Sep to 17 Oct. Powerpacks are applied according to the stated rules. For example, I have some December Future packs that will not be applied until the start of the November/December billing period. Some Powerpacks are applied immediately. The monthly review shows all the detail. The downside is that to get consistently good discounts, you have to buy in advance. It follows that you can accrue a big balance and Ofgem has yet to confirm that this credit is fully protected in the event that PS Energy Ltd becomes insolvent. As it is taking them so long to answer what, on the face of it, was a simple question sent to them 3 months ago, I can only conclude that the answer isn’t immediately clear.
  • fewkeste
    fewkeste Posts: 534
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    MrChips wrote: »
    I've just applied to move my electricity supply to Powershop as my deal with GB Energy is coming to an end. Trying to get up to speed on how to get the best out of it as the pricing is not conventional!

Where you refer to discounts (i.e. 20% discount) is this relative to the Powershop standard pricing? Also is it a discount to the unit price only, or to the daily charge too?

Thanks!
    The best advice I can give you is read this thread from beginning to end and you will be a lot wiser.

Also, it's quite difficult to grasp what's going on when you don't have a live account but quite simple and straightforward when your account is open and in front of you.

Invest the time to read the whole thread and it will definitely add to your understanding.
  • Most Odd thought they were only UK and supposedly a Non-Profit organisation. I've been with them for a year and they were lower price than most mainstream UK outfits. However now going into year two they've jacked prices circa 30'% on Electricity and their Gas is more expensive than EON - Goodbye Robin Hood Energy and hello EON
  • System
    System Posts: 178,076
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Teej275 wrote: »
    Most Odd thought they were only UK and supposedly a Non-Profit organisation. I've been with them for a year and they were lower price than most mainstream UK outfits. However now going into year two they've jacked prices circa 30'% on Electricity and their Gas is more expensive than EON - Goodbye Robin Hood Energy and hello EON

Hi - welcome to the forum. Have you posted on the correct thread? Welcome to the World of UK energy Electricity, in particular, has risen a lot in the past 12 months - primarily due to a massive increase in Social and Economic costs.
  • fewkeste
    fewkeste Posts: 534
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Come on Powershop - are there going to be any more Special Packs with a decent discount this month? Apart from the 'expected' October Simple Saver and the tiny Appetiser Special Pack , we've only had the poor value Jumbo at 7.3% and the Lucky Day Special Pack at 14.9%.

Surely we're due another Special Pack with a decent discount aren't we?

Every other month so far there's been two and sometimes three decent discount Special Packs available.

Come on chaps do something:D
  • Tafrock
    Tafrock Posts: 747
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Hot on the heels of an impressive spooky special pack discounted by 29.2% comes the latest future pack for March discounted by a mere 15 %

This is somewhat disappointing and a big drop from February's future pack discounted by 23.7%

However because I have been over buying future packs due to their impressive discount I have quite a few stockpiled. I'll see how long my credit lasts as I'm in no rush to buy any packs discounted by less than 20 %. Of course I always knew the discounts would start to decrease but didn't anticipate such a huge drop of 8.7%

Seems my strategy of buying whilst discounts are high is the best option. Still I've been very impressed with powershop so far. Easily saving money over my previous contract with a rival supplier
  • griffb
    griffb Posts: 168
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Well so far my switch from Avro is going smoothly - kicked it off on 12 Oct, activated on 31st. Now just waiting for the agreed reading and a small refund from Avro.

A (very) minor irritation - I noticed when researching that Powershop had a £12.50 cashback through MSE. When I came to switch it had disappeared, now I see it is back again :(
  • Has anyone got their powershop/npower account recorded on their credit file? I still haven't, was hoping they'd record it, assuming they took the liberty of credit searching....

As for main PowerShop, I'm loving the "Paradise Special" powerpack description!!

Like Tafrock, I've got so much stockpiled - now into July next year after maxing out the January pack.

I'm going to wait a month before getting February, so I can see what Aprils rate is. If it's something silly like 15% again, then I'll stock up before the 31/12 deadline. If April is ~23%, then I won't bother getting February, another £50 is going to take me up to next winter, £100 certainly would!
  • I'm going to wait a month before getting February, so I can see what Aprils rate is. If it's something silly like 15% again, then I'll stock up before the 31/12 deadline. If April is ~23%, then I won't bother getting February, another £50 is going to take me up to next winter, £100 certainly would!

It's highly likely that the next Future Pack released (April) will be no higher % discount than the current March level of 15%. It might be the same as March's discount but could well be lower.

If you haven't done so already, I advise you to max out on the January and February Future packs (i.e. purchase £50 for each month) as it will be many many months before Future Packs at these discount levels will be available again.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback