MSE Poll: Is it time to extend the smoking ban?

Options
124»

Comments

• takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    dekaspace wrote: »
    Weak argument? You mean like yours and your OPINION.

You can say anything and justify it whatever way you want, doesn't make it the truth, the same thing you are acting like I should believe

And utterly stupid argument to jump to cocaine, sounds more like you have a bias.

I can overeat on food, does that mean I will turn to cocaine?

Just like tobacco, food is legal, cocaine isn't but doesn't mean either is a gateway.

Maybe use common sense which you lack and

Just because you live in a bubble doesn't mean yours is the correct way.

Common sense again about the wifi, you should do some research into things like stress and peer pressure, then you would understand people find something to turn to, for some its drink, for some its drugs, for some its food, and for some its cigarettes.

Someone doing a violent assault can't really be justified in their actions, someone who smokes though you don't like it can have UNDERSTANDABLE reasons even if you don't agree with their right to smoke.

Yes there are many reasons why people smoke and yes people are pressurised into it.

But that will never mean it is a good thing!.

You also misunderstand my comparison to cocaine, i never said people who smoke will start taking cocaine. What i said was there are also many reasons why people turn to cocaine but that doesn't make it right.

There are many people who are under alot more stress and under alot more peer pressure to start smoking who have never smoked in their life.
    Smoking holds a purpose to those people just as wifi does to others, just because you find wifi useful and smoking not doesn't mean it can;t be.

I use wired whenever I can due to wifi being pathetic many times, and for faster connections needed expensive hardware (unless you have thin walls and close to router)

Smoking serves no useful purpose and if it did you would have been able to explain what that was. Someone being addicted to it and feeling they need it several times a day is in no way useful.

I can think of many useful purposes of wifi that a wired connection would not be possible for, you need to think outside of your own personal use, here are just a few:
    -In restaurants taking orders on tablets instead of wasting paper/trees
    -Most devices/sensors connected to the IOT (Internet of Things) utilise wireless networks.
    -Tablets would be very inconvenient if they didn't use wifi.
    -Mobile phones would be non-existent if we didn't use mobile networks (which are radio waves just like wifi)
    Think you are clever by mentioning you cycle to work? Well I walk long distances and I don't smoke either! And you talked about cars being useful over smoking, well the fumes are still bad for your health so the point was you were picking and choosing what to be offended about.

Yes the fumes are bad but like i said in previous posts cars aren't left running outside of doorways and nobody wants to run a car inside their house. Smoking is carried out in the most confined places and is a much higher risk to me than an car emissions.

Also cars and buses serve a useful purpose of transportation and are essential to the running of the country.
    Smoking serves no useful purpose and simply harms the user and those around them. The only reason it is still around is because people are addicted to it and if it wasn't as additive then it would have been left in the past like many other hazardous products.
    Oh and you complained that why should they have facilities provided and no allowances should be made but then contradict that by claiming you don't think it should be banned in public.

So if you don't believe it should be banned in public why do you disregard a lot of things you don't agree with that are about compromising smoking away from home?

I don't believe there should be any compromise and people should have to wait until an appropriate time. Why should facilities be provided to people who smoke when facilities aren't (and shouldn't) be provided for other recreational activities.
  • leeparsons
    leeparsons Posts: 74 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 October 2017 at 11:57AM
    Options
    Well if that is the case. Then we better ban mobile phones and any other devices which admit a small amount of radiation then. As this is also a public health concern, which can have a greater effect than smoking. That's personal to me. But I still have one.
    As for confined spaces, I frequently haft to put up with idiots on the bus shouting down their mobile phones. Where I hear a word for word conversation. A number of people who are subjecting me to there radiation have to be greater than that to one smoker.

Come to think of it. If we ban people from going outside, then a number of cases of skin cancer, would drop off to near enough nothing.

Anyone with any sense would know that if you going to smoke you shouldn't do it around people. But I know there is a lot of people who don't have common sense.

As for vehicles they serve no use to me. But only destroy the air quality and cause damage to the ocean layer. Should we ban all vehicles I ask you?

Whatever we do, we will annoy someone else. More consideration is what people need.
  • rmg1
    rmg1 Posts: 3,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think we can all agree that this is a very emotive subject and that some people will be offended regardless of the outcome of any debate.
    Comparing smoking to drug use/sex/vehicles is, at best, pointless and, in my opinion, will only cloud the issue further than it already is.

I've already stated my 2p-worth and I stand by it. I will also state that this is only my opinion and, while trying to be fair to all concerned, I have a vested interest in keeping the smoking ban as it is.

Due to the subject matter, I think it will be all too easy for things to get heated far beyond the realms of rational discussion (as I have already seen in this thread) but it would be nice to think that, as adult human beings, we could take other people's thoughts/feelings into consideration. I suppose only time will tell......
    :wall: Flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality - Am I flogging a dead horse? :wall:

Any posts are my opinion and only that. Please read at your own risk.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ;I would like to see the ban to include not smoking within 3 metres of an entrance to a building as with the combination of the wind and the vents above doors (esp automatic opening ones) smoke cam waft through into the building. Some employers already do their own thing by painting areas outside for their employees not to smoke in these areas.

Plus when its rains, all the smokers congregate by the door to prevent themselves getting wet.
  • rmg1
    rmg1 Posts: 3,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As far as I am aware, the ban already includes that restriction and, I believe, it's 4 metres not 3.
    :wall: Flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality - Am I flogging a dead horse? :wall:

Any posts are my opinion and only that. Please read at your own risk.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure