Mrs Boo Boo's Budget Bonanza

Comments

• Mrs_Boo_Boo
    Mrs_Boo_Boo Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Got paid mileage today and extra hours. Have transferred mileage amount into savings account ready to spend on the car. More than likely need new tyres soon. Need to be resolute about this as always wanted to,but never got round to it.
    New phone ok,but seems to be working out more expensive than old deal! Am much more aware of how much texts cost as it gives me the credit amount after each one! Was thinking texts were expensive with old phone,but now realise I rambled on and it was adding up. Didn't realise how little characters a text was!!!!!!Messages sometimes use up 4 amounts of 10p eek.May need to review.
    Looks like we will be in budget for shopping this month. Used up a £10 M&S voucher to buy a bra for under work uniform and plan to use Nectar points for make up,if Sainsburys get to stock the right colour!!!
    Have been to work every day this week,I know really hard. Just more aware of how much petrol I'm using.
    Still need to look for a better paying account as was with Santander,but rate has now dropped. Don't think I can take advantage of the Nationwide or Santander current accounts,need to do some more research first. Unless I transfer 2 direct debits and make sure I transfer the min amount in. Used to do this with the Alliance & Leicester premier account.
    Also need to look at electricty. With EDF and never changed,I know Martin would be recoiling in horror. Don't have gas either so can't take advantage of duel fuel offers.
    Anyway onwards and upwards.
  • Mrs_Boo_Boo
    Good news.
    Went collecting for the Alzheimer's Society at Tesco today and popped into their phone shop on the advice of my fundraising friend. Signed up for £7.50 contract.yippie.
    Bought make up in Superdrug £6 so hopefully this will do. So difficult choosing a good foundation.Also 2 4 £5 hair dye and T gel. Bit miffed cos last time I bought T Gel it was £6.99 for 250ml and now they only stock 125ml for £4.99!!!
    Lovely and sunny today.
  • Mrs_Boo_Boo
    Went over shopping budget oops by 40p this month. Luckily bought a few bits to tide us over until Weds. Yummy stir fry with liver. Only £2.50 for liver and then a few storecupboard bits. Got bacon for tomorrow with chilli beans. This budgeting lark does make one think about spending a bit more.
    Not in work as much as they owe me half a day due to covering sickness on Friday. Spent this morning sorting out paperwork and filing cabinet. Still got a bit to do,but am archiving some of it so it can be put somewhere else. Also have moved another filing cabinet downstairs so I can put my work stuff away. Office at work is like a broom cupboard so no storage there.Got all day tomorrow to do it.Need to do a meal plan and stock up on monthly supplies and do a big shop.
    Also set myself a challenge to find a decent fitting pair of jeans from a charity shop. Fed up with wearing the only ill fitting pair I have. Saw sports bras in Mr T's for £8 so plan to get one and see what it's like. Been on my wish list for ages.
    Submitted mileage claim today so will be saving it from now on.
    All good stuff.
  • Mrs_Boo_Boo
    Well not a lot to report at the moment,although I tend to swing from utter dispair that we have not much money and then a positive attitude that we are ok and coping. Shopping budget has taken a real hit,but we have lots of food and plenty to see us through the end of the month. May go a bit over with fruit and veg,but need to use up stuff in the freezer. Find now that stockpiling is more difficult so need to keep an eye on that. Checking on the calendar we only have 2 1/2 weeks left of the month so should be able to hold out.
    Travel expenses from work will cover new tyres and hopefully car tax due next month.
    New Aldi next to workplace so no probs in picking up odd bits.

New challenge is to find a handbag and pair of jeans. Handle broke on handbag the other day.

Extra hours may become available soon too so will keep an eye on that. If we can survive now then anything extra earned is a bonus.
  • Mrs_Boo_Boo
    Wow doesn't time fly?
    Well still on track. Have started saving my work mileage and it's psychologically pleasing covering the car bills. We now complete them electronically so it shows how much is due. Will cover the tax at the end of this month and then hopefully start building up to cover MOT and insurance next year, plus servicing costs. Used to think oh well it'll all come out of the same pot,but this feels much better.
    Had to juggle bills this month because my husband and I have separate credit cards (Halifax so £5.00 cashback if more than £300 spent),but not enough credit to cover the house insurance this month (usually put full amount on CC). Need to speak to bank to increase limit.Pay off every month so no worries about overspending. Went over shopping budget this month and have decided to experiment by shopping weekly as opposed to stocking up monthly. Always end up with lots left over which isn't a bad thing,but want to be a bit more flexible with it. Also need to empty my freezer to defrost it to store veg from the allotment when it's ready. Terrible at buying reduced stuff to bung in there. Mind you it's very MSE and haven't bought full price bread for ages. Also am a very responsive cook so can adapt to using up stuff in an imaginative way.
    Well going to crack on with housework this morning and then helping DH with front garden landscaping. Luckily not much to spend out on cos we have plenty of bricks,stone,wood to use up.
    Enjoy the weather while it lasts.
  • Mrs_Boo_Boo
    Been a while,but still MSEing. My dear gran died on the 9th and it's been a rollercoaster of emotion ever since. The funeral is on Friday so going over my folks to help make food on Thurs. She was 93 but lived alone and was independent. Luckily she wasn't ill for long and only in bed for 4 days. Died at home in her sleep so it was very peaceful.
    The weekly shopping is going ok,but still stock up a little bit. Soon adds up,although out of the £55.11 spent at ALDI £20.46 is for bottles of beer. Cheaper than the supermarkets too.
  • Mrs_Boo_Boo
    My goodness how the moneysaving rollercoaster goes up and down. I am so lucky in my circumstances,but sometimes it gets me down. It will pass and I'll be upbeat again.
    Have an invite to stay over in Bristol on Friday and meet up with the Glasto gang who didn't get tickets this year!! Boo hoo. Don't really want to go due to the whole cost of it. Would rather start saving for Glastonbury next year.
    Anyway have an endownment payout soon so that should help and plan to set up a standing order for the amount we used to pay towards it. a good £50 a month so that's £600 a year. Need an emergency fund and to save for things like house insurance,Christmas,Glastonbury etc.
    Stuck in a rut at the moment so in addition to the greiving for my gran don't feel as upbeat as I usually am. It's up to me to get this sorted and a jounrney starts with one step so am going to focus on baby steps to achieve this.
    Need to open an ISA for me, then regular savings to put that extra £50 a month in.
    Not too early to start Christmas stuff.
    I'll get there. Even my own procrastination annoys me at times.
    Right time to crack on.
  • Mrs_Boo_Boo
    Well been a while again.
    Have decided to put the full amount into a cash ISA for me from the endownment pay off. Then the rest in a better paying savings account.
    Will update groceries budget today as haven't done it yet for this month.
    Beautiful day today so no shivering at all. Went in the sea on Sunday and couldn't remember when I last went in. Could've been Cyprus in 2004!!!!
  • Still good going here. Been a bit absent because my mother-in-law died in August,I know not another one! Very stressful. She had dementia and was in a home,but it's still a shock when it eventually happens. She was 88.
    Not lost the plot with moneysaving,but it has been on the back burner for a bit. Still saving travel expenses so hopefully this will cover all the motoring costs next year.
    Need to update grocery budget. Coming in around the £250 a month mark,although this does include beers and ciders so not bad. Have a local food scheme so have ordered stuff from there and community allotment is now producing lots of veg so not buying much of that now. The mince is so tasty that I'm using less so very money saving and benefiting the local economy.
    ISA with Tesco sorted with maximum amount.
    Transferred existing Santander account into 123 one. Just need to find another Direct Debit and set up a standing order for £500 a month. Thanks to this site I knew my facts and was even complimented by the call handler on my research who sorted it out for me. Once this is set up I will transfer a large whack of my savings to get the best amount of interest.
    Need to cancel Nationwide current account and credit card. Not used in ages since transferring to Halifax. Feels good already getting stuff sorted and simplified.
    Off for 2 weeks now so will crack on. Got receipts,but need to transfer them to spreadsheet.
    Time to think about Christmas. Already bought packs of cards and envelopes to make Christmas cards. Bought diaries as pressies. Two more birthdays in Sept then a break in Oct and Nov.
    Charity crafters going strong. Manning a stall at the local memory walk this Sunday. Raised over £250 last weekend at a festival. So excited about tomorrow as I am setting aside time to actually sit down and make some craft items to sell. Stuff everything else for a day, apart from body balance.
    Good news today- extra hours available until christmas and may even be after that. They don't mind what hours I do or when I do them to fit in with my other job. Fallen on my feet there.
    All good here at the moment.
  • Well here again. Managed to close redundant accounts last month so feels so much better. Hubbie still has to increase his credit card limit because he only has £500 limit and with Halifax you get £5 if you spend £300 so not easily able to do this every month. Did try to do it over the phone at the bank,but couldn't remember the last transaction!!!oops.
    Bought a few bits from LIDL for Christmas,but need to put it away otherwise could be tempted. Plan to make a list so if I see something I can get it now. May make some again,but need to crack on otherwise under too much pressure at the end.
    Been to veg field already today to collect spinach,beetroots,carrots and courgettes. Starting to order a bit from local food scheme. Had John Dory the other day for £7 for hubbie and me. Yummy. Like to feel I am supporting local farmers and producers and things like mince are so much tastier you don't need a lot.

Big bug bear is hubbie who is self employed and cannot always give me wages every month!!! grr if he was more money savvy he would've worked all this out and he doesn't always pay his bills on time. I make it my job to work all this out,but cash flow is sometimes a problem so I end up juggling our private finances. Oh well hope my example is helping him become more aware of the situation.
    Right need to crack on with domestic stuff.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure