Cleaning Glass on a wood burning stove

Comments

• Very interesting thread. I've only had my multifuel for a few months, and only lit it a few times just to try it out. I did get some staining of the glass, right at the bottom, that I was finding very difficult to shift. I tried the vinegar and paste this morning and it worked like magic. Thank you very much. :T
  • Decent spray of non abrassive cleaner, leave for 5 mins or so, wipe off most with a damp cloth, then as it's safety glass use a sharp blade on the stubbon bits, buff up with a dry cloth, Roberts yer Dad's bro!
  • Leon_W
    Leon_W Posts: 1,813 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I use a Stanley knife blade as mentioned before. You can buy the handles so the knife blades become a scraper.

If the windows constantly clog and you have an airwash system then you are probably burning too cool or damping down before the fire becomes established. A smokey fire is an inefficient fire !
  • Those using scourers and knives - aren't you frightened of scratching the glass?

I use either a damp cloth or a nylon sponge for non stick pans with soapy water. But I will try the newspaper and ash too.

I find that only when I have used unsuitable (not fully seasoned wood) does it really black up.

Most of the time getting a good fire going will burn off any residue and only as it cools down might it leave a white misty appearing stuff on the glass.
  • flog_2
    flog_2 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 29 October 2010 at 12:04AM
    Try VITCAS Stove glass cleaner 30% extra FREE :) on shop.vitcas.com
  • I do mine routinely every time I re-load with wood pellets. I use damp kitchen roll dipped in wood ash and then a clean damp piece to wipe it. Results are excellent. I also vacuum the small amount of ash from the burner with a henry. Thats all the maintenance we have to do on a 1-2 day basis
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    kittie wrote: »
    I do mine routinely every time I re-load with wood pellets. I use damp kitchen roll dipped in wood ash and then a clean damp piece to wipe it. Results are excellent. I also vacuum the small amount of ash from the burner with a henry. Thats all the maintenance we have to do on a 1-2 day basis

Same method here - although I use a wee cheapo basic range vacuum from tesco
  • This product works as well as Hob brite for cleaning stove glass, in fact it is amazing all around the house. We use it to clean our ceramic hob, worktops, sinks, bath windows etc.

It is completely natural too so it doesn't smell and it doesn't bring on my wife's asthma.

universalstoneuk.com
  • I spit on newspaper - works everytime. No need for any of the stuff mentioned above.
  • abwsco
    abwsco Posts: 979 Forumite
    We do a hot burn for a bit and that cleans the glass.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure