Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • derms
    • By derms 11th Jul 15, 2:33 PM
    • 243Posts
    • 353Thanks
    derms
    0 WOW
    Poundworld bargains
    • 11th Jul 15, 2:33 PM
    0 WOW
    Poundworld bargains 11th Jul 15 at 2:33 PM
    Sorry if another thread - couldn't find and couldn't see these posted. My local Poundworld has Ted Baker men's body spray and antiperspirant, oos on Boots www but £4.07, Aussie 3 minute miracle reconstrutor, cheapest is 3 for £10.00, Panete Age Defy Advanced Thickening Treatment, £9.99 in Boots and Samy fat hair dry shampoo, £5.99 for 6ozs in Superdrug, think one I got 5 ozs. HTH

Official MoneySavingExpert insert Tue 14 Jul: Poundworld told us most of the above items are available in most Poundworld stores throughout the UK, and are all priced at £1, but couldn’t tell us how long for. Be quick if you want to grab one.

Thanks to derms for sharing this offer.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Amelia A; 16-07-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Page 9
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 9th Mar 17, 6:42 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 44,856 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Not a branded item but my Poundworld had some microwave cookware similar to Sistema, but a fraction of the price. Not the same quality it has to be said, but at a fifth of the price...

Similar bowl on Am@zon
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • monz
    • By monz 16th Mar 17, 11:17 AM
    • 2,727 Posts
    • 7,671 Thanks
    monz
    Lou Lou I live in Glasgow... need to pop by poundworld today
    Debt (1/9/14) £6,702.11 Debt free (30/11/2016)
    house deposit £5,781.18/10,000
    mums xmas vouchers boots (surveys ) 50/50
    sisters xmas vouchers topshop (surveys ) 0/30
    Dads xmas voucher amazon (surveys) 0/25
    Australia 2019 - /5000
    • LouLou
    • By LouLou 21st Mar 17, 7:06 PM
    • 1,722 Posts
    • 3,075 Thanks
    LouLou
    Hello to a fellow Weegie (monz) - sorry, don't always keep up to date with MSE!

This is from the Argyle Street, Glasgow store - Barbie outfits (tops, skirts, jeans, etc). The top has the reference code CFX73 DHH44, the skirt CFX73 DMB18 - says Mattel Canada Inc. on the back of the packets.

Little Mix Nail Wraps/NYC Crystal Couture - 004 Blue Majesty, 9.7ml/Eye Candy London Core Colours - Naughty But Nice, 12ml.

Odor Eaters Foot Warmers (Deodorising Fleece Insoles, One Size Fits All, up to size 11 - cut to fit).

Edit: Swatches of the nail varnishes from bloggers -

NYC Crystal Couture, Blue Majesty: http://www.thepolishedmommy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/NYC-Fashion-Queen-Crystal-Couture-004.jpg
    Eye Candy London, Naughty But Nice: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/81/51/4f/81514f2cb4e4f1ce09fa966adae085e2.jpg
    Last edited by LouLou; 21-03-2017 at 10:57 PM.
    • LouLou
    • By LouLou 31st Mar 17, 3:13 PM
    • 1,722 Posts
    • 3,075 Thanks
    LouLou
    Went back to Argyle Street, Glasgow Poundworld today, there's more Barbie bits, this time accessory packs (eg, bags, shoes, jewellery etc). Here's what I got:

Mine has cat-eye sunglasses, a cuff bracelet, heeled boots, loveheart bag and pink flat shoes. Not sure what the red semi-circle item is - think it's a hairband!
    • LouLou
    • By LouLou 21st Apr 17, 7:23 PM
    • 1,722 Posts
    • 3,075 Thanks
    LouLou
    From Argyle Street, Glasgow: 2 x Shopkins "embouts a crayons" - "pencil tips" which I assume are erasers, and a pencil.
    • London_Girl
    • By London_Girl 25th Apr 17, 9:31 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 623 Thanks
    London_Girl
    Poundworld Crawley branch now selling items over £1.
    I noticed they've been selling items well over £1 marked as managers special....something along those lines.

Really surprised now as they now have loads of items ranging from well over £1 to £8.50..should they still call themselves Poundworld????
    • sumoqueen
    • By sumoqueen 25th Apr 17, 11:28 PM
    • 1,522 Posts
    • 913 Thanks
    sumoqueen
    I noticed they've been selling items well over £1 marked as managers special....something along those lines.

Really surprised now as they now have loads of items ranging from well over £1 to £8.50..should they still call themselves Poundworld????
    Originally posted by London_Girl
    Pound land are doing the same as did the 99p store. Bargain buys is pound world sister store where you will find items that are £1 in poundworld selling for £1.25/£1.50! Total con!
    No buying toiletries challenge - possibly for most of 2011,2012,2013,2014,2015!
    £1 in sealed pot for each UU (2011 135/500) 2012 have UU 130/400 (never realised I had a mini chemist under my bed!!!) 2013 UU 156/350. 2014 UU 197/250 2015 UU 16/100

Nursing is a work of heart by angels in comfortable shoes!!!
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 25th Apr 17, 11:32 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 44,856 Thanks
    mcculloch29

This seems to be the national policy - there was a TV series on Poundworld last year - filmed 2015, I think - and there were 'Manager's Specials' of items well over a pound being sold in stores then.
    If the items are still good value I don't have a problem with this. The bulk of items are £1, so the name's not a misnomer.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • LouLou
    • By LouLou 26th Apr 17, 2:33 AM
    • 1,722 Posts
    • 3,075 Thanks
    LouLou
    The "over £1" stock always seems to cause (what I think is) irrational ire in some people. And Poundworld and -land have been selling more than £1 stock for a good few years now.

I only have a problem with these items if they're not advertised clearly and/or not separate from their core £1 range - admittedly, it's only happened to me once or twice (where some Poundland assistant has obviously got mixed up or forgot to put it in the appropriate section/put a sign up).

I even made a thread on Hotukdeals ages ago - Sheba cat food platter packs that were in amongst the £1 pet range - turned out it was £2 and someone had made a mistake. D'oh!

But it doesn't rile me so much I want to throw the book at them and start a false advertising media campaign (like that guy did in the Poundworld BBC programme Poundshop Wars - well worth a watch if you haven't seen it).

I was a bit embarrassed for the guy, really, as it's hardly crime of the century - he seemed rather petty and obsessive about something that in the grand scheme of things isn't that important.

These stores aren't actually doing anything wrong if their stock is well-signposted - nobody makes you buy it, after all!

As long as the majority of their goods are £1, it's fine by me.

Edit: One thing that DOES annoy me (a bit, as the phenomenon is well-known now) is when you think you're getting a full-size grocery item, and you're not. Just had one dawn on me yesterday (about Ginsters Twin Packs in Poundland vs their single supermarket equivalent) - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=72462032&postcount=6814 (maybe the rest of the planet knows about this one, and I've only just realised!)

Not sure if Poundworld sells smaller-size grocery items - I know it happens in Poundland with packets of biscuits, etc, and you have to be savvy.
    Last edited by LouLou; 27-04-2017 at 12:43 AM.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 26th Apr 17, 9:10 AM
    • 23,240 Posts
    • 48,565 Thanks
    VfM4meplse

I noticed this in a rare trip to East Ham last week. I won't be visiting one again.

ETA: the reason it made me cross was because they were the first rather than last items to be displayed, because there were so many of them and also that they were later interspersed with stock for £1. As opposed to Poundland that used to have a discrete section (although admittedly, this is creeping too).

It's merchandising used to deceive, IMHO.
    Last edited by VfM4meplse; 26-04-2017 at 9:13 AM.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 26th Apr 17, 12:49 PM
    • 6,287 Posts
    • 19,197 Thanks
    Doc N
    Frankly, general inflation and Brexit-related falling sterling inflation have made it so difficult for buyers to source decent items which can profitably be sold for a pound that I'd rather see the £1 limit breached.

I've found there to be less and less stuff worth having in all pound stores over the last few months, and I've got so bored with what's on offer that I've more or less given them up.

There are some bargains, certainly, but a lot of the stuff they sell can be found more cheaply in supermarkets, and quite a lot more isn't worth buying because of the low quality.

I'd be interested in Twopoundland.........
    • BizKiTRoAcH
    • By BizKiTRoAcH 26th Apr 17, 8:15 PM
    • 378 Posts
    • 20,526 Thanks
    BizKiTRoAcH
    If an item is over a pound, who cares? Just don't buy it No-one has a gun to your head making you buy anything and if you are 'deceived' and pick up a £5 item thinking it's a pound, just explain to the cashier you weren't aware it was £5 and to take it off the transaction, problem solved?
    • LouLou
    • By LouLou 1st May 17, 7:26 PM
    • 1,722 Posts
    • 3,075 Thanks
    LouLou
    I've noticed Poundland don't seem to sell the Coley & Gill unscented tea lights any more - seems to be "The Original Candle Co" x 40 packs. I found the Coley & Gill unscented variety very good and with great burn times (over 4 hours).

Haven't tried the Poundworld varieties but Poundland tended to have the most for £1, so I stuck with what I knew.

From Argyle Street, Glasgow Poundworld, earlier:
    The Big Deal x 50 tea lights "4 hour burn time" - will see how I get on and will report back!

(Edit: *First tea light I tried lasted approx 3 hours, 20 minutes.)

Also picked up a mini Barbie Horoscope Series figure (mine is for Leo) - plenty of different star signs left.

More detailed picture of Leo here, too big a jpeg to add (packaging slightly different to mine, mentions a QR Code): https://www.entertainmentstore.in/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1800x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/b/a/barbie_leo_horoscope_series_-_dnt46_-_31517010743-1.jpg

One thing I did notice, to my dismay, is that amongst the £1 core stock there IS higher-priced stock now placed beside £1 items on shelves (there's shelf labels, which is fine, but say you are an old-age pensioner with poor eyesight?).

There are oddities such as, Aussie Miracle Moist Conditioner now being sold for £2 (the exact same ones that were selling for £1 not long ago).

Not sure if this is a trend throughout the store as it was nearly chucking-out time - didn't get a good look.
    Last edited by LouLou; 02-05-2017 at 2:03 AM.
    • catswiththumbs
    • By catswiththumbs 2nd May 17, 6:59 PM
    • 259 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    catswiththumbs
    I've noticed Poundland don't seem to sell the Coley & Gill unscented tea lights any more - seems to be "The Original Candle Co" x 40 packs. I found the Coley & Gill unscented variety very good and with great burn times (over 4 hours).

Haven't tried the Poundworld varieties but Poundland tended to have the most for £1, so I stuck with what I knew.

From Argyle Street, Glasgow Poundworld, earlier:
    The Big Deal x 50 tea lights "4 hour burn time" - will see how I get on and will report back!

(Edit: *First tea light I tried lasted approx 3 hours, 20 minutes.)

Also picked up a mini Barbie Horoscope Series figure (mine is for Leo) - plenty of different star signs left.

More detailed picture of Leo here, too big a jpeg to add (packaging slightly different to mine, mentions a QR Code): https://www.entertainmentstore.in/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1800x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/b/a/barbie_leo_horoscope_series_-_dnt46_-_31517010743-1.jpg

One thing I did notice, to my dismay, is that amongst the £1 core stock there IS higher-priced stock now placed beside £1 items on shelves (there's shelf labels, which is fine, but say you are an old-age pensioner with poor eyesight?).

There are oddities such as, Aussie Miracle Moist Conditioner now being sold for £2 (the exact same ones that were selling for £1 not long ago).

Not sure if this is a trend throughout the store as it was nearly chucking-out time - didn't get a good look.
    Originally posted by LouLou

I've been in Poundworld today and noticed the same - individual price tickets on the shelf edge and many items are now £2 or £3 that used to be £1!!!! I preferred the shop when the stuff that was more than £1 was kept in a separate aisle. I was just scanning the bottles of shampoo & conditioner looking for some bargains and though I'd found some (Aussie) until I noticed the shelf edge tickets (which incidentally are not on all the shelves yet).
    • sumoqueen
    • By sumoqueen 3rd May 17, 10:19 PM
    • 1,522 Posts
    • 913 Thanks
    sumoqueen
    Sounds like the pound world stores are turning into their bargain buy stores!!!
    £1 in sealed pot for each UU (2011 135/500) 2012 have UU 130/400 (never realised I had a mini chemist under my bed!!!) 2013 UU 156/350. 2014 UU 197/250 2015 UU 16/100

• LouLou
    • By LouLou 4th May 17, 8:38 PM
    • 1,722 Posts
    • 3,075 Thanks
    LouLou
    (Argyle Street, Glasgow) Urgh, apologies, the bottle of Aussie Miracle Moist that used to be £1 is actually £3 now, saw it in store earlier. Random prices all over the Toiletries section - the other departments still seem to be mostly £1 stock.

Picked this up but I assume it's store specific - Herbal Essences Bee Strong Strengthening Conditioner 200ml at 50p.

Heinz Macaroni Cheese, Spaghetti Bolognese and Ravioli tins are 3 for £2.
    • KrankieLad
    • By KrankieLad 17th May 17, 7:06 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    KrankieLad
    Poundworld in Bolton is the same, full of items priced over a £1 mixed in with everything else. According to the sales assistant it's been taken over by someone else and a few customers this week had been complaining about the new stock and tiny pricing labels. Staff member even said that many items they sold were cheaper elsewhere in Home Bargains and Poundstretcher. It was never my favourite store and I doubt I'll shop there again.

I do wonder if they will change their name.
    • sumoqueen
    • By sumoqueen 27th May 17, 8:50 AM
    • 1,522 Posts
    • 913 Thanks
    sumoqueen
    Poundworld in Bolton is the same, full of items priced over a £1 mixed in with everything else. According to the sales assistant it's been taken over by someone else and a few customers this week had been complaining about the new stock and tiny pricing labels. Staff member even said that many items they sold were cheaper elsewhere in Home Bargains and Poundstretcher. It was never my favourite store and I doubt I'll shop there again.

I do wonder if they will change their name.
    Originally posted by KrankieLad

My local has now been renamed Poundworld plus!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,517Posts Today

8,216Users online

Martin's Twitter