PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheapest bicarbonate of soda?

Where is the cheapest place to buy bicarb?

I tried to get a big box from Costco the other night but couldn't find it. The only place I can find it is in supermarkets and, for the amount I use it's at off prices.
When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)

Comments

• vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    its because you are being forced to buy food grade bicarbonate of soda - if its for "other stuff" try industrial grade from somewhere like http://www.justasoap.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=91 (i've not used them so cant recommend)

another similar place

http://www.soapkitchenonline.co.uk/
    Blah
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks Noo xxx
  • vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    you're welcome - like I say I've not used them and crafty ol'stylers may have other sources so would be interested to find out where people get theirs from.

I used to work in a pharmacy and part of me is convinced we used to sell it in there but I cant be 100% sure.
    Blah
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Boots sell it in 500 g boxes - got some last week but just checked the receipt versus the Tesco price and it's cheaper at Tesco's!
    Boots £1.49 500gm
    Tesco 44p - 200gm

Not such a money saving purchase for me then!
  • mossstar
    mossstar Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    weigh & save do it! that's where i get mine for cleaning...
  • Peter-Pan_5
    Peter-Pan_5 Posts: 380 Forumite
    Where can I buy this in bulk,with all the tips in here we need oodles of it.
    A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    El sabio muda el consejo, el necio no.
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It seems we in the UK are only given the choice to buy bs in small tubs 200g or slightly larger boxes in chemists and Boots. I have yet to find larger amounts though maybe a baking suppliers would be able to help? The thing is if you do buy over the internet, there is then the cost of postage.

In the States, they can buy huge bags (I think 50lbs in weight) at animal feed stores - not baking quality, but for washing, cleaning etc, it is perfectly ok. I was told they use it for washing the cows udders :eek: or something like that - I am not sure :confused: - anyways I rang an animal bulk suppliers and she sounded most surprised at my request!!!

If you do find anything let us know. There is a place someone suggested Dri-pak ltd on the web who sell borax etc and they have bicarb, but at 1.71 for a box 350g I thought it worked out more expensive. Sorry I dont know the web address but sure you can find it. You can download an order form.
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• Dont suppose you have any chinese supermarkets up there? Bought a 5kg tub here for about £2.00 at a place called Wing Yip.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    larmy16 wrote:

If you do find anything let us know. There is a place someone suggested Dri-pak ltd on the web who sell borax etc and they have bicarb, but at 1.71 for a box 350g I thought it worked out more expensive. Sorry I dont know the web address but sure you can find it. You can download an order form.

The dri-pak ltd bicarb and borax are sold in wilkinsons for about £0.89p for a 350g packet.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    calleyw wrote:
    The dri-pak ltd bicarb and borax are sold in wilkinsons for about £0.89p for a 350g packet.

Yours

Calley

Thanks Calley, unfortunately my Wilkinsons dont do Borax, I have already tried. I would have to travel some way to get there, so I'll just make do with the bs from Morrisons!
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills