PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May Update: What are you growing in 2006? (Tips here for Fruit, Veggies and Flowers!)

Options

Comments

• Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    chickadee wrote:
    When is it safe to start transplanting the plants into grow-bags in the greenhouse? I live in the North of England so we still get late overnight frosts sometimes. Will the greenhouse protect the plants from frost or will they still be caught?

I had the idea that I would use my now redundant dustbin to grow potatoes (our council has just converted us to wheelie bins). Is this a good idea? Can I plant several 'layers' of potatoes?

Hi, Between now and say the middle of June, move your plants outside each day, this is called "hardening off" and does just that to the plants. What I have done is bought a cat litter tray from supermarket (around £1.50) its just a tall sided ridged tray your looking for. Tall sides to stop the plants being blown over if its a windy day. (I'm at work all day too and nothing you can do about the weather wilst your there).

Anyway, each night I put as many plants as I can fit in the tray usually about 7 or 8 plant pots, then in the morning just nip the tray outside. Then when I get home from work, put those plants back on the windowsills and pick up the next 6 or 7 for the tray the next day.

Dustbins are brilliant for planting spuds, I'm not sure about the layers, I think you can do. I only know this way, put some compost in the dustbin, say about 6" put about 7 seed potatoes on the top of the soil and cover with another layer of compost. When you can see the plants above the compost put another layer of compost ontop to bury the plants. This is "earthing up", what your doing is stopping the light getting to the potatoes and turning them green.

Keep them well watered.
  • chickadee
    chickadee Posts: 1,447 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Linda32,

I'll get the spuds started off this weekend.

chickadee
    x
    Sealed Pot Challenge #8 £341.90
    Sealed Pot Challenge #9 £162.98
    Sealed Pot Challenge #10 £33.10
    Sealed Pot Challenge #11 Member #36
  • MORPH3US
    MORPH3US Posts: 4,906 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Kazonline wrote:
    I normally buy iceburg - but I'm guessing that growing that would be a bit too ambitious?

We got some Iceberg lettuce seeds from Lidl for 29p.

Withing 4 days of planting them, we have 10 little shoots and lots more on the way I would imagine!!

If you have a lidl near you I would suggest getting some (loads of other seeds too for 29p) and so far it has been easy to do. I can't guarantee anything, but usually I kill plants (not on purpose) but these have started to grow so they can't be that hard to do!!!

M
  • reverie
    reverie Posts: 427 Forumite
    Options
    Hello everyone, hope some people are lucky enough to be enjoying this lovely weather in the garden. I am stuck in the office until I escape at 5.30pm. Only 3 and a half hours to go, woo hoo!

Quick question, I bet it has been asked before but I seem to be getting different answers, sorry. Can I just use old potatoes that have sprouted to plant in the garden? Will it work? Is it better to buy seed potatoes? Also, where is the best place to buy them if so? Thanks!

Grew from seed potatoes last year in a bin. They were really yum.
  • reverie
    Options
    Oh, forgot to say, yesterday at a farmers market I bought a horseradish plant and also a chocolate peppermint plant, which smells so lovely. Apparently very good with desserts (the chocolate peppermint not the horseradish :rolleyes: ).
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    reverie wrote:
    Hello everyone, hope some people are lucky enough to be enjoying this lovely weather in the garden. I am stuck in the office until I escape at 5.30pm. Only 3 and a half hours to go, woo hoo!

Quick question, I bet it has been asked before but I seem to be getting different answers, sorry. Can I just use old potatoes that have sprouted to plant in the garden? Will it work? Is it better to buy seed potatoes? Also, where is the best place to buy them if so? Thanks!

Grew from seed potatoes last year in a bin. They were really yum.

Its always best to buy seed potatoes, and the best place to buy them from is Wilkinsons.

The chocolate peppermint plant sounds wonderful :D
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    XDH brought me back a bucketful of horseradish roots last autumn, I forgot all about them and they got left in a bucket by the shed. I've just rediscovered them and about 5 have thrown out huge great shoots with leaves on. I thought they'd be completely dead or rotten by now. I'm going to shove a few in a bare patch of ground I have and see what happens :j
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • reverie
    Options
    Thanks Linda will try Wilkinsons this weekend.

Moggins, word of warning, I think horseradish is quite invasive. Am going to stick mine in a corner far away on it's own or a pot!
  • katglasgow
    katglasgow Posts: 404 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Moggins - I collect egg shells and then crush them up and use them to arround my veggie patches to keep out slugs. They dont like to crawl over the egg shells as they are too jaggy so I think this would put off snails too?
    Me debt free thanks to MSE :T
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Kat, I tried that trick with the shells last year and it didn't work :(

Reverie, I remember DH saying that so it's going in a far corner possibly inside an old metal bucket with a rusty bottom :D bit like me really.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family