Royal mail online postage... question about recorded delivery.

2»

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    mah_jong wrote: »
    And if it goes missing ....do you have leg to stand on? I dont think so! As its not been stamped!

Exactly, anyone can stick a recorded delivery thing on a packet, unless the PO stamp their receipt bit it is meaningless.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • steviebabes
    steviebabes Posts: 2,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    soolin wrote: »
    Exactly, anyone can stick a recorded delivery thing on a packet, unless the PO stamp their receipt bit it is meaningless.
    You can still prove delivery though. I said there is no proof of posting but you can prove delivery as you have the counterfoil with the bar code on to check on RM track & trace.
  • soolin
    You can still prove delivery though. I said there is no proof of posting but you can prove delivery as you have the counterfoil with the bar code on to check on RM track & trace.

Since recorded is a very poor service it cannot be relied on to be signed for anyway. I have another thread running, I sent 4 items end of May recorded delivery all of which have arrived none of which show up as delivered. My post master today suggested that the failure rate is as high as 50% in some areas.

Proof of posting is much more necessary than hoping an item tracks and is signed for, and with no way of proving posting if lost en route.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • steviebabes
    steviebabes Posts: 2,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I know recorded is unreliable in some areas but all I am saying is if you do not want proof of posting you can put recorded items in the postbox and they will/should get signed for.
    I never bother with proof of posting as the paperwork takes so long I may as well just write off the loss. I have lost very few packages (less than .05%) and over 90% of recorded items do get signed for. I always use SD for high value items and have never lost one.
  • soolin
    I have very few losses as well, but I suppose I always think that the first time I don't bother with a COP I'll get a chargeback, I'm probably paranoid. One of my selling ids used to sell a stock item where I had an unlimited supply, I used to just bung those in the post without a COP as they were cheap and I could always replace any losses.

Whilst I don't trust recorded, I always used to trust special delivery, until a laptop I sent last year arrived safe and sound yet was never signed for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure