My Sisters Bank Won't Let her release My Inheritance To Me-Please Help.

Options

Comments

• Yorkshireman99
    Options
    Nothing to do with which bank they use. It still requires two signatures and as has been said repeatedly the bank are not at fault.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Nothing to do with which bank they use. It still requires two signatures and as has been said repeatedly the bank are not at fault.

No but it does now seem with this new information the OP has a right be to upset as it appears the sisters have their money, I and I assume most others when we were answering previously were thinking they were all in the same situation.

It may be that if the worse happens and there is a need to go to court that the sister may not be so quick to do this as they already have their money!
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    No but it does now seem with this new information the OP has a right be to upset as it appears the sisters have their money, I and I assume most others when we were answering previously were thinking they were all in the same situation.

It may be that if the worse happens and there is a need to go to court that the sister may not be so quick to do this as they already have their money!
    The sisters may well have to pay some of it back. The whole story is a complete mess.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I can understand more now why you are upset.

Did your sisters have your bank details? or was the delay they had to wait for you to give them and unfortunately in that time frame it was when your sister fell ill.

Or it is because they bank with Barclays that only the one signature was needed? If that is the case would it help if you set up an account with Barclays?

Are you sure they have their money, has anyone told you this? I don't understand when they divided the inheritance they didn't do it all at once (unless they didn't have your details of where you would like it sent).

3 weeks ago my Solicitor told me by letter and email that he had heard from my sisters who told him the house had been sold and that I would get my inheritance in about 2 weeks.

Then a week later 2 weeks ago I got both an email and a telephone call from the well sister.
    My sister said she wanted to pay the money into my bank account instead of sending it to my solicitor.
    And she seemed keen to pay me direct since she said it is my money and as executors my sister pay me.

So I phoned her up to give her my bank detail of one of my bank accounts for her to pay into.

I also phoned my bank Nationwide who advised me to tell my sister to send it in a CHAPS payment and Nationwide explained how my sister should do it.
    By going into her branch of Barclayes bank.

And my sister told me she was going to do it the next morning and I was expecting her to send it to me.
    But when the next morning came my sister phoned and emailed me mid-morning and told me that when she went to the bank they would not let her do the payment without the other sister being there and signing.

She let me speak to my other sister on the phone and she did sound very ill.

My sister told me they got less money than me because she said they have both paid the estate agents and their solicitors fees for selling the house. And my well sister said she spent some of her inheritance on a deposit for her rented flat she had to move to when she left my mothers house.

I have not actually asked her if they have got their money but from what my sister told me, it sounds like they have.
    And were going to send me my share until Barclays Bank stopped my sister because the other sister cannot go with her to the bank.

I hope not but that is possible that my sister might not want to pay for a solicitor to go to court to get power of attorney because it would come out of her money.

If my sister does not get better and that does happen I will have a big fight on my hands trying to get my inheritance.

As I don't even have an account with Barclays Bank and I am not an executor of the will. And I am on benefits and so I have limited funds myself.

I am now afraid of the real possibility that I may loose my inheritance or may not be able to get it because of the system with Barclays Bank.

I don't think I can live with the fact that mum left that 118k to me and I may have to spend years fighting in court to claim it or possibly might not even be able to claim it because I cannot afford lawsuits.
    So I may never get that money.
    That is not right and I don't know what to do now.

I think if my Solicitor won't help me fight this, if it comes to that, I must at least seek legal advice with another Solicitor.
    I cannot just give up and let that money go.
    I can't.
    It's my money that my mother left me and I have got the will to prove it.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    As you have been told repeatedly Barclays Bank are not the problem. Barclays Bank have done nothing wrong at all! Ultimately the executors have to pay or be forced to do so. The executors are where you need to concentrate your efforts.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As you have been told repeatedly Barclays Bank are not the problem. Barclays Bank have done nothing wrong at all! Ultimately the executors have to pay or be forced to do so. The executors are where you need to concentrate your efforts.
    Both my sisters are the executors of the will and hold the executors account.

But it seems my sister who is well is willing to pay me my money. But Barclays Bank won't let her do it unless the other sister is there at the bank with her to sign.

If my ill sister recovers enough to go to the bank and sign then I will get my money.

But if she is so ill that she does not then I have got a problem.

Yes as my solicitor and you have said I can sue my sister who are both the executors of the will if they refuse to pay me my money.

But it is not the case.
    The problem is that one of my sisters, the executors is to ill to manage the executors account.

And because the account is in both my sisters names and a joint account, the bank won't let the well sister release the money.
    Because both executors have to be at the bank in person together to sign.
    So I am stuck.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What does your well sister suggest they do next?
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    warby68 wrote: »
    What does your well sister suggest they do next?
    The account is NOT a joint account. The account is in the name of the executors of the deceased. The signatories do not own the funds but both signatories are required to access the account. The OP has been told this repeatedly. The solution is for someone, either the well sister, or the OP to apply to the court to have the unwell sister removed as executor. Once that has been done Barclays should remove the restriction. If not a court order can be obtained to force them to. It will all take time effort and money. The estate will have to pay the costs.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    annbarbs wrote: »
    Yes, that is absolutely true.

Once I get that money all of my benefits except my DLA will be stopped and I will have to pay all of my rent and CT myself and live off my savings.

And because my HA rent is so high-£608 a monthI will have to start looking for alternative rented accommodation up North because that will eat up my inheritance quicker if I stay here, which will be more stressful.

I don't have any problems here or in my HA flat.
    The ones that were there have now been solved as my HA have now done the repairs.
    And did not let me wait to long as I had feared.

The only reasons for moving are that I will have to pay the £608 a month rent myself which means my inheritance won't last as long,(about 8 to 10 years) I have estimated if I stay here.

But if I move up North my Inheritance will last longer because rent is only about £375 or £400 a month.
    So I might have my inheritance for another 12-15 years before it runs out and I have to go back on benefits again.

But either way whether I stay here or move up North-I will still have to pay the rent and live off of my inheritance.

And as we both know the money mum has left me won't be enough to last me a lifetime.
    So I will eventually have to re apply for and go back on benefits again at some point in the future.
    Whether it be 10 or 15 years time.
    I know that.

And there is just one thing I have also thought about is that my plan to get private rented accommodation up North is fine-As long as I have my inheritance.

But the disadvantage is that ift is not secure as we know.
    So if something happens and the landlord sells the property or decides to evict me.
    I would then have to find another flat.
    Which is not a problem while I have my inheritance to do it with.

But if it happens towards the end of the 10 years when my inheritance has run out and I have to go back on benefits and may no longer be able to afford the deposit for private rented.

There is the risk that I could become homeless again and I will have to go back to the Council.

And go though the process of being placed in temporary accommodation and being rehoused as homeless by the Council all over again.

And that's not very pleasant,as the Council may put me where I don't want.
    As I know from my past experience when I was put in a temporary flat in an area I did not like, before they found me this flat, my HA flat.

My other reason for moving is that my CMHT don't think I am ill enough to need their services and discharged me 2 years ago.

They say I don't meet their criteria for a psychiatrist or CMHT keyworker-Even though I was with my CMHT for 10 years before they discharged me in 2014.

And because my GP surgery closed 6 months ago and there are only about 3 GP practices who will take me on.
    Because the others I have been to say I am not in their catchment area.

I have still not registered with a GP as I am frightened that I will end up stuck with a horrible GP practice or horrible GP.
    Who will make me wait weeks for an appointment and won't be supportive or help me with my benefits.

And I am also worried that if I stay here what is going to happen to me in 10 years time when my inheritance runs out and I have to apply for benefits again.

Because I am worried that if I don't have a CMHT keyworker and only the GP that might go against me.
    Or that the GP won't give me the certificates I will need to get my ESA back again or help me with my benefits.

Although my EX-CMHT Social worker tells me it is unlikely that would happen and if it did I could change my GP.
    That's the other reason I don't want to stay here.

But then I could have the same problem if I move up north.
    The health trust there could also say I don't need a CMHT keyworker and I might only have a GP for support there as well.

And up North I won't have a HA with a secure tenancy, where as here I do.

So at least when my inheritance does run out I will still have a permanent HA home with a tenancy for life without fear of being made homeless.
    As you will never be thrown out of a HA flat as long as you pay the rent and don't break the tenancy agreement.

Where as if I go ahead with my plan to move up North to Private rented, when my inheritance runs out, I might not have a home.

At least if I stay where I am I will have.

So If those are the only 2 reasons for moving is it really such a good plan?

If there was no will and I did not inherit, and would have had to stay on benefits, then I probably would not have moved out of my HA flat.
    Because my benefits would not have stopped and I would not have had to pay the £608 rent myself.

Obviously if Barclays Bank never let me have my money I could be on benefits for a very long time.
    I hope not.
    Because I don't know how I am gonna live with knowing my mum has left me money and that Barclays Bank has 118 that is my money, but i cannot access it. Because the bank won't let my sister give it to me.
    How am I supposed to live the rest of my life with that?

Sorry to be negative but I don't think it's necessarily going to be that easy to move back into social housing when your inheritance runs out. You could end up renting in the private sector for the rest of your life, I'm afraid.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The account is NOT a joint account. The account is in the name of the executors of the deceased. The signatories do not own the funds but both signatories are required to access the account. The OP has been told this repeatedly. The solution is for someone, either the well sister, or the OP to apply to the court to have the unwell sister removed as executor. Once that has been done Barclays should remove the restriction. If not a court order can be obtained to force them to. It will all take time effort and money. The estate will have to pay the costs.

I understand that but Ann isn't getting it at all.

I was trying to redirect her to the person/people who is best placed to sort things or at least inform her of what is happening - and hopefully they can reassure her that things will get sorted in time. Everyone here is clearly failing in that despite valiant efforts and Ann's posts are getting more and more stressed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure