How to lose weight - it's simple

Comments

• dktreesea
    dktreesea Posts: 5,736 Forumite
    Yeah, cos it really is that simple.

I have calorie restricted and it led to bingeing. I really, REALLY want to be the weight I used to be but I am still overweight. And believe me, I have tried, pretty much everything. I lived on shakes for 4 months, so if that doesn't prove this 'will power' you speak of, then I don't know what will.

As I say, I am not convinced of the physics regarding the calorie in vs calorie out theory. I have read plenty to contradict that.

And as for the it's the amount, not the type of food..so, if I had 250 kcals of chicken and veg, as opposed to a chocolate bar, then that would have the same effect on my body?? I think not.

As others have said, there are lots of things associated with obesity, emotional eating, comfort, social eating etc etc. These things shouldn't be overlooked or dismissed, and as I said, if it really was that simple, there would be no such thing as obesity.

But you didn't have to binge. You chose to binge.
  • Anoneemoose
    Anoneemoose Posts: 2,258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    dktreesea wrote: »
    But you didn't have to binge. You chose to binge.

No, there was no choice. It was compulsion. Purely brought on by the initial restriction of calorie reduction.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    No, there was no choice. It was compulsion. Purely brought on by the initial restriction of calorie reduction.
    I'm sorry to be blunt, but this is what you chose to believe to give yourself an excuse for failing. Totally understandable, so not a criticism at all, but still not right.

My view is that the reason why you haven't find a way to lose weight is because you haven't yet found what is right for YOU. I personally believe that there isn't a right or wrong way, just a way that works for you. You need to find what that is, but also accept that whatever it is, it will involve restrictions and will power. There are no miracle ways to lose weight, all of them involves telling yourself 'no', you just have to find the easiest way for you to do so.

Most weight gain is due to bad habits. Problem with habits is that because it is the norm for us, it feels right and any changes is what is out of the norm. I am a normal weight through constant watching my weight, not in an obsessive way, but in a monitoring way so that the moment I get out of my zone, I can do something about it before it becomes too hard to manage. Last year, I put on 1/2 a stone (which is a lot for me) and couldn't understand why I wasn't losing weight despite my efforts. Then last spring, I took more drastic actions, lost the weight and so far managed to keep it down with little efforts. Looking back, it has become obvious that I was eating too much, but because it was over the day, it didn't seem like it. It is only by comparing, seeing that I am just fine with what I eat now, that I can see that I didn't need to eat as much as I did even though I was thinking then it was reasonable.
  • Anoneemoose
    Anoneemoose Posts: 2,258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    FBaby wrote: »
    I'm sorry to be blunt, but this is what you chose to believe to give yourself an excuse for failing. Totally understandable, so not a criticism at all, but still not right.

My view is that the reason why you haven't find a way to lose weight is because you haven't yet found what is right for YOU. I personally believe that there isn't a right or wrong way, just a way that works for you. You need to find what that is, but also accept that whatever it is, it will involve restrictions and will power. There are no miracle ways to lose weight, all of them involves telling yourself 'no', you just have to find the easiest way for you to do so.

Most weight gain is due to bad habits. Problem with habits is that because it is the norm for us, it feels right and any changes is what is out of the norm. I am a normal weight through constant watching my weight, not in an obsessive way, but in a monitoring way so that the moment I get out of my zone, I can do something about it before it becomes too hard to manage. Last year, I put on 1/2 a stone (which is a lot for me) and couldn't understand why I wasn't losing weight despite my efforts. Then last spring, I took more drastic actions, lost the weight and so far managed to keep it down with little efforts. Looking back, it has become obvious that I was eating too much, but because it was over the day, it didn't seem like it. It is only by comparing, seeing that I am just fine with what I eat now, that I can see that I didn't need to eat as much as I did even though I was thinking then it was reasonable.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but not the first line. I did not 'choose' to binge. When I restricted myself, my body craved food, my brain craved food, as in its survival instinct. Why do you think most people who start diets think constantly about what they 'can't' or 'shouldn't' have? I didn't plan my binges a lot of the time, I just ate everything in sight. The only difference between me and someone with bulimia was my phobia of vomiting. That was also the thing that seemed to stop me getting help for it. I didn't make myself sick, so I was 'ok'. Hmmm.

I have lost weight and gained it again numerous times by following so called 'healthy' lifestyles. Slimming World being the main one. I will also stand by my comments that dieting (alongside ill health) made me obese. And again, before anyone points out, calorie restriction IS dieting. Prior to dieting, I never thought of foods as good and bad, I ate what I wanted (what my body wanted) and it kept itself 'healthy'.

I also want to say I am not trying to get out of taking responsibility for myself..I spent so many years trying and failing to lose weight permanently by following someone else idea of healthy. That led to the behaviours I described where I felt like I was no longer in control of my own body. I don't profess to know what the answer is, but I do know it isn't calorie restriction or dieting..at least not in the long term.

If weight loss really was that easy, why is the obesity epidemic growing?
  • dktreesea

Even food addicts have a choice. Are you saying you had no control over what you put in your mouth? That couldn't be right. Of course you did.

I was addicted to chocolate for more years than I care to remember. There would be a time, somewhere during the day, that I "had to have" some. I've even got up in the middle of the night and driven to an all night supermarket to buy it. But I always knew I had a choice not to eat, just one I wasn't prepared to make at the time.

I've only given it up in the last few months, due to a medical condition. I don't think I quite realised how much I spent on sweet treats before because my bank account has made remarkable leaps forward since.
  • dktreesea
    If weight loss really was that easy, why is the obesity epidemic growing?

it could be something quite sinister as in big food corporations getting us hooked onto a certain taste, so hooked that other, more natural tastes don't satisfy us as much.

One thing I noticed since giving up chocolate is I no longer have such a sweet palate. Everything tastes way too sweet.

I wonder if this is the same for people who usually eat processed or fast foods. Are there ingredients added to these foods that aim to give the people eating their products such satisfaction that they can't stop, even when they feel full and whenever they do feel like eating, they gravitate towards those particular products? Why is sugar, one of the most addictive substances on the planet that could even give cocaine a run for its money, added to savoury food? We wouldn't do it if we were cooking the dish from scratch.

My children love roast dinners, but have both told me that none of their other friends have roasts at home. That's a real shame. We've had people over who have never tasted Yorkshire pudding, something we can all make from scratch.

As for deep fried pizzas and chips with cheese, whoever invented these two concoctions needs to be arrested!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    My children love roast dinners, but have both told me that none of their other friends have roasts at home. That's a real shame. We've had people over who have never tasted Yorkshire pudding, something we can all make from scratch.

As for deep fried pizzas and chips with cheese, whoever invented these two concoctions needs to be arrested!
    We love roast dinners too.
    But it's a rare treat - as it should be.
    And ours comes with loads of veg.

Why don't your kids' friends have roast dinners?
    Because they (or their parents) can't cook them?
    Or because they think they are not healthy?

'deep fried pizza'?
    Seriously?
  • dktreesea
    edited 19 October 2016 at 2:04PM
    Pollycat wrote: »
    We love roast dinners too.
    But it's a rare treat - as it should be.
    And ours comes with loads of veg.

Why don't your kids' friends have roast dinners?
    Because they (or their parents) can't cook them?
    Or because they think they are not healthy?

'deep fried pizza'?
    Seriously?

Yes, half a pizza, dropped into the deep fryer the same way you'ld cook partly cooked already battered fish.

As to not having roast dinners, I get the impression the parents weren't brought up with this tradition. And maybe also the cost of something like a leg of lamb.

Why should roasts only be a rare treat? We have a roast every week.

Some of my children's friends have never eaten haggis, much less know how to prepare it. Feels odd, being in Scotland and remembering being here from time to time during my own childhood, all the food special to here that we ate, and yet nowadays talking to children who have never eaten swede, parsnips, turnips, or even more modern vegetables like cauliflower and broccoli.
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Yes, half a pizza, dropped into the deep fryer the same way you'ld cook partly cooked already battered fish.

As to not having roast dinners, I get the impression the parents weren't brought up with this tradition. And maybe also the cost of something like a leg of lamb.
    If the parents weren't bought up with the tradition, then I don't know why you'd see it as a shame that their kids have never had a roast. There may well be other dishes the families regularly cook from scratch.
    As for deep fried pizzas and cheesy chips, those are both things that are fine as a treat once in a while, it's pretty obvious that both are high in calories and low in nutrients, if people chose to ignore that and eat them too often then it's not the fault of the inventors.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!

Some of my children's friends have never eaten haggis, much less know how to prepare it. Feels odd, being in Scotland and remembering being here from time to time during my own childhood, all the food special to here that we ate, and yet nowadays talking to children who have never eaten swede, parsnips, turnips, or even more modern vegetables like cauliflower and broccoli.

Lordy!
    My Mum worked in a pub Sunday lunchtime & I (aged 17) was responsible for cooking the 'proper' Sunday dinner (& that was 45 years ago)

How old are the parents who don't know how to cook it?

I couldn't imagine not eating good veg (& well done for not confusing swede & turnip).

As for haggis, a friend brought some back from Edinburgh & I wish he hadn't bothered. (Maybe it wasn't a good quality one?).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure