DVLA tax reminder

Today I came home to find a letter telling me I had a an £80 fine from the DVLA. I rang the debt company up to see what it was for and it's because I haven't paid my road tax when it was due in June.
The lady on the phone said that the DVLA don't send reminders anymore. I've laid my dues and taxed my car online (road tax costs £0 which is a bit frustrating as am paying a fine for not paying something that doesn't need to be paid!)
I spoke to my neighbour and they received a reminder last month. Is it worth chasing this up with the DVLA or am I wasting my time?

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,700
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    DVLA do still send out the annual tax reminder and no doubt they will be able to prove they did. You must still tax it, even at £0, or SORN the vehicle and it is up to you to know when. Consider yourself lucky you were not clamped.
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,993
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    They do send out reminders, but the bad news is that it's still your responsibility to tax on time. The letters aren't sent recorded, so all the DVLA need to show is they sent it out.
  • Rover_Driver
    Rover_Driver Posts: 1,508
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Today I came home to find a letter telling me I had a an £80 fine from the DVLA. I rang the debt company up to see what it was for and it's because I haven't paid my road tax when it was due in June.

It will not be for not paying the tax, it will be for not renewing the vehicle licence, which in your case may be £0.
  • rich13348
    rich13348 Posts: 840
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    flashg67 wrote: »
    They do send out reminders, but the bad news is that it's still your responsibility to tax on time. The letters aren't sent recorded, so all the DVLA need to show is they sent it out.

And I'm sure they take every single one of them down to the Swansea Post office and ask for proof of postage for 100,000 letters.
    Wouldn't like to be behind that person in the queue.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,181
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    flashg67 wrote: »

They're not obliged to send reminders, so they don't need to show anything.
  • kmb500
    kmb500 Posts: 656
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    You can make a complaint to them and reference the conversation you had as all phone calls are recorded. However the reminder doesn't mean jack - it's a friendly gesture on their part (and yes they do still send reminders, the person on the phone was wrong). It is up to you to pay your tax. If you haven't paid road tax since June then really you are to blame. Sorry.

I work in a tax office and even if someone hadn't received our reminder letters, they are still liable for paying the tax on time. Sorry bud, you gotta pay the fine..
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I have a six monthly DD set up, I get zero reminders and so far the payments have been at completely random times. My VED is due for renewal in December, last years december payment was taken on 17th November, this year 23rd September!
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,684
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    GwylimT wrote: »
    I have a six monthly DD set up, I get zero reminders and so far the payments have been at completely random times. My VED is due for renewal in December, last years december payment was taken on 17th November, this year 23rd September!

That's terrible -how on earth does one budget for payments like that?

I couldn't - my account could well land up overdrawn.

All my DDs work well to within a day or so of the expected date - so i would be in a right pickle with unexpected payments.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    rich13348 wrote: »
    And I'm sure they take every single one of them down to the Swansea Post office and ask for proof of postage for 100,000 letters.
    Wouldn't like to be behind that person in the queue.

Yes because that's the only way they can provide evidence...
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    GwylimT wrote: »
    Iceweasel wrote: »
    That's terrible -how on earth does one budget for payments like that?

I couldn't - my account could well land up overdrawn.

All my DDs work well to within a day or so of the expected date - so i would be in a right pickle with unexpected payments.

The payer is supposed to receive a DD notification well before any payment is taken, so (in theory) you'd have time to make sure sufficient funds were available.

Taking payment in September for a December renewal is just taking the Michael though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure