HELP! Have cut back all I can but am still over-spending!

Options

Comments

• bess1234_2
    Options
    hi georgie, the OP started on the old style board, so all the first comments were from there... I suggested she came over here:eek:. Believe it or not, its got milder over here....

I hope she logs back on and realises that as usual in a public debate it has turned back round. without the forceful posts its actually been full of usefulness.

I have never worked out how much my mild social weekend drink cost over a month before. So the OP has helped me to see I'm making that choice with my money, so I will enjoy it twice as much as its my treat.
  • magentalady
    Options
    I also feel the need to voice my support for ScrimpingandSaving after reading most of this thread. This thread pretty much fully encompasses all the best and worst things about the MSE forums, from what I've seen.

It takes a lot of guts to come here, lay out all your finances on the table and ask for help. When someone does that, and asks for advice, that does NOT give you all the right to sling as much mud as you can at them, constantly criticising the way they live their life while you sit in your ivory tower. Pointing out where someone can save money is one thing, but treating them like a terrible person when they don't choose to follow that suggestion is quite another.

SnS, I wish you all the best and I hope you don't stop coming here because of this. There are plenty of decent people here who understand what you're going through and really do want to help, not just pass judgement.
  • Tillytrotter1
    Options
    Good luck ScrimpingandSaving, I really hope you can do it. You have made a start and are taking baby steps which is great. I really hope you do post again on your progress as I genuinely would like to know how you get on, but I would understand if you don't. I wouldn't waste any more time replying to the negative posts, you have explained yourself enough. Just focus on the way forward.

Hugs and best wishes from a fellow Newbie :)
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    SnS, I think you'll be a lot happier on the DFW board - OS tend to take no prisoners haha!

Good luck.

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • samtoby
    samtoby Posts: 2,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options

Yes £650pm on groceries for a family of 4 is a lot and I've signed up to a meal planner. But you have to take into account that this is not just groceries, it's things for the house, cleaning stuff, school equipment and a few essentials, toiletries, etc.

I'm hoping to cut down the food bill in using a weekly menu planner but to be honest, we don't throw food away, everything is used and I make everything from fresh. I'm hoping that one vegetarian a meal a week will make the difference and instead of buying supermarket curries every week, I'll try and make a batch and freeze them, so this bill should come down by around £100pm? Drinks include wine, beer and non-alcoholic drink. I guess we could become teetotal?

I feed 3 adults one child who blimming eats like an adult for £50 a week. £650 is a huge amount of money.
    3 Children - 2004 :heart2: 2014 :heart2: 2017 :heart2:
    Happily Married since 2016
  • ScrimpingandSaving
    Options
    I just want you all to know that I have lurked and I am overwhelmingly touched by the messages of support both on here and privately - sorry I can't respond to some but as a new user I am limited.

You've made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside! I have written down all the really useful pieces of advice and I am determined to act on them all.

As for the rest, well I can see now that the overly critical posters are in a minority and that most people are non-judgemental, helpful, kind and supportive and that is why I am determined not to let your advice go to waste.

I'm off now to finish up my work, cook a nice veggie tea and spend time with my kids (I might even make them share a bowl of porridge whilst I glug on the finest Grand Cru wine ;) )

Warm hugs to you all :)
    "Funny how just when you think life can't possibly get any worse, it does." - Marvin (Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy)

DON'T PANIC
  • 3v3
    3v3 Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    Options
    I'm off now to finish up my work, cook a nice veggie tea and spend time with my kids (I might even make them share a bowl of porridge whilst I glug on the finest Grand Cru wine ;) ) ...
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • ms_london
    ms_london Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I also buy paper for her to print her masses of homework out on, pens, glue, maths equipment, art equipment, batteries. It's all stuff that you remember you need whilst out shopping. For instance last time I went I got her some folder dividers to separate her homework, some new socks, spare birthday cards, hair clips, envelopes and a new packed lunch box as she lost hers at school.

I shop at Asda.

I would say go and stock up at poundland - granted, it may not ALWAYS be cheaper, but it does have lots of art and craft stuff.

Welcome to MSE by the way :D
  • Tillytrotter1
    Options
    "I'm off now to finish up my work, cook a nice veggie tea and spend time with my kids (I might even make them share a bowl of porridge whilst I glug on the finest Grand Cru wine ;) )"

I hope it's the value porridge you're dishing up ;)
  • 365days
    365days Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    "I'm off now to finish up my work, cook a nice veggie tea and spend time with my kids (I might even make them share a bowl of porridge whilst I glug on the finest Grand Cru wine ;) )"

I hope it's the value porridge you're dishing up ;)

and made with water.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure