Ditching the last of the pizza debt

Comments

• hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    Congrats on the PhD ani. :)

We've ordered the expensive flea/tick meds online from vet UK. They work out about half as expensive as through the vet, though we did have to pay an admin fee to get a prescription to send in. Definitely worth investigating, as there could be good savings. Hope the kitty's improved now, we've gone through a fair bit with one of our cats being a delicate flower.
  • Happierdays
    Happierdays Posts: 154 Forumite
    Hi, re the moggie and thyroid probs.. our cat has hyperactive thyroid (diagnosed oct ish last year) and I can relate to the "bag of bones" and "can't stop eating"! Things really came to a head when she jumped in my neighbour's kitchen window and took the top of his lasagne! However nowadays she has a plump little belly and is much calmer..things really do improve once the right dose is found! We buy the tablets online...costs around £50 to £60 for 100 days supply though that's a rough figure but I do know it is much cheaper than from vet. Vet gives us prescription for them which we have to pay about tenner for but we can order 2 "lots" using the same prescription. Hope that helps and reassurespond a little !
  • Happierdays
    Reassures rather!
  • ani*fan
    ani*fan Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 6 August 2017 at 7:52AM
    Furry purrball has been prescribed Vidalta, 15mg. After even just a quick check online I found it for 58p per tablet. The vet charged £37 for 30, so £1.30 per tablet. Big savings to be made with this. The blood test cost £87. :eek: And he needs another one 3 weeks after the meds started, to check he's on the right dosage, so before the end of the month. :eek:

My brand new emergency fund has been wiped out already. I guess this is what it's for, right?

Thanks for the tip about the prescription charge Happierdays, I'll be ready for that and factor it in, and lovely to meet you! I bet your kitty enjoyed that lasagne, poor wee soul, but hilarious! Mine had started swiping food out of my hand and eating raw carrot or whatever he could find on the kitchen floor. After only 3 days on his meds he seems calmer and less frantic around food already, maybe I'm imagining it, does it start working so quickly?

Thank you everyone for the congratulations. You are all very sweet. :A I'm still in shock that I've passed but that'll settle, I'm sure.

So we hired a sander yesterday and did the living room, kitchen and hall floors. Omg, what a total mess it made. The floors look amazing, but sawdust flying everywhere all day was nuts, especially as we didn't know what we were doing for the first hour or so. At one point the bag fell off, so much sawdust in the air I couldn't even see the sander never mind the off switch, madness! However, we got there in the end and after the cost of the sander, sandpaper, bags and varnish we have these floors looking great for less than £200. :money: You gotta love that. The floors look so clean and fresh and lovely, I can't believe the filth we've been living in. :o Ah well, onwards.

Next thing is our handyman coming round this week to replace a section of wall, remove the rest of the fireplace, fit the wood burning stove we got for free :T (isn't it great when you know the right people?) and dismantle the rest of the nasty fitted wardrobe. Me and OH have tried as much as we can with these things but we got stuck. He's charging £150 for the lot. Bargain, we thought. So let's see how that goes.

It's another hectic month but we should see a significant difference in the flat by the end of it. Our mums are coming to visit in a few weeks, we want to have something to show off by then. :)

Happy debt busting weekend everyone. :)
    If you know you have enough, you're rich. ;)
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If I bulk buy 100 tablets I can get them for 51p each. That would be 3 months' supply at a little over £50, so £200 for the year instead of the £444 the vet would cost. Looking better all the time. :cool:
  • Happierdays
    Hi again!
    Yes the vet costs can be a bit hair raising! That's great your moggie is responding so quickly to the meds, I seem to remember ours calmed down a bit in a matter of days and things just improved from then on...
    Am new here (but been reading and being inspired by everyone on here since 2013- so thanks everyone!) I am a technophobe (but working on it!) and not sure how to start my own diary etc..so thanks for the warm reception ani*fan! Your debt levels and reductions are similar to mine with similar time frame and when I read the bit about your kitty I just had to join and reply as could so relate to the worry (£ and otherwise!!) of it at the time!
    Your floor sounds lovely! Good luck with it all and with continued debt busting! Happy weekend everyone!
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I'd love to hear about your adventures in debt busting, and I'm sure others would too, it's a very friendly place to be. Everyone's so helpful, I really could not be doing it without all the help I get here. Whenever anything happens involving finances, I usually come here first and ask for advice. And it's always good!

If you want to start a diary just go to the 'debt free diary' forum, click 'thread tools' at the top and then 'start a thread'. This'll be your diary, just don't forget to subscribe to it so you can find it later. ;)

At 16 years old, this is the first time my old purrball has really been ill. He had a couple of teeth out last year but other than that he's cost very little over the years. I realise he's getting on a bit now though so I want to make sure he's comfy and happy as he gets older. He's been such a great companion in life.

Anyway, good luck mastering the technophobia. You can do it. :)
  • Happierdays
    Thank you for the reply and encouragement! I love this place!
    I will give it a go... catch you all sooner..;)..or later... ;)
  • Kittychick
    Kittychick Posts: 250 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    We are having similar cat troubles, our old boy is 16ish and diagnosed with kidney disease. He lost a fair bit of weight and really went downhill. He's now on meds which have improved him no end-he was just basically sitting in a box on his own sleeping all the time. Since the meds he's back to sitting on us and sleeping nearly all the time! He will now come upstairs and has just been shouting at me while warming his bottom on the router. We know we're coming to the end of our time with him but will do what it takes as long as he's comfortable. We went to see the vet this week just to get him weighed-the receptionist was supposed to do it but a different vet was in and he took over. He was horrible and I'm still really upset he had a quick look at him and I'm quoting now said "he's not got long left!" our poor boy who is not in pain, still trots after us when we go in the kitchen and had happily been sunbathing in the garden and eating beef a minute before was written off..
    Anyway, I told receptionist what he'd just said and she was also shocked... Thing is, we know he's not got long left, but his meds have improved his quality of life.. He's just been off keeping an eye on other cat and now back next to bed watching for any movement from me.. Aka breakfast and morning patrol outside..
    Sorry for the whinge.... Hope your boy continues to improve xx
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Have you varnished your floors? if not I can recommend Danish oil....easy to apply and a great finish - we have it everywhere - kitchen worktops floors and doors and window frames - interior and exterior :)

Hope the cat feels better soon. We have aged moggies too - the oldest has just started to show his age in between skipping round like a kitten - he has started snoring very loudly :rotfl: the VeeEeeTee said nothing to worry about......now his claws on back feet are looking a little long - think I will need to get them looked at. Last time I clipped an animals claws - a white rabbit - it looked like something akin to the Texas Chainsaw Massacre:eek: Rabbit was fine btw - just clipped the claw a little too short :D The cats haven't cost us much over the years so I dont begrudge the expense - like you say thats what the EF is for!
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure