Declining job offer

If you’ve accepted a job offer but then get offered another role with higher salary and better benefits. Can you decline the original offer or will the company be annoyed with you?

Comments

• antonic
    antonic Posts: 1,977 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The most important question to answer is have you started the first job ?
    if you havent you can decline the job , without giving a reason (but it would be good manners to do so, and it doesnt have to be the truth).
    Employers *should* take into account that not everyone takes up a job they are offered.
    (I did this a while ago when I was offered a Civil Service job ( I was already a CS) accepted it and then rejected it before I was due to start as I was offered a better job elsewhere in the CS).
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 December 2017 at 7:48AM
    Can you decline the original offer...
    Yes. For that reason I don't announce the names of new starters at my place until they're actually there on their first day.
    ..will the company be annoyed with you?
    Quite possibly. If its a small industry someone may bear a grudge. I've seen several posts on LinkedIn from employers moaning that propective employees were breaking their word etc. Employers tend to think they have all the cards when it comes to employment - and it shows in their language and how they treat people as commodities.

I've turned down an offer I'd previously accepted. There was nothing the organisation could do about it. I wouldn't expect them to offer me a job ever again though.
  • antonic wrote: »
    The most important question to answer is have you started the first job?

Thank you and no not started the job. Offered 2 weeks ago and not received a contract yet so not signed anything just verbally accepted. Higher salary better suitable offer received yesterday.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Actually, I think the most important question is do both these potential employers know that your are currently signed off sick for anxiety? Because an offer of employment is not a guarantee of employment, and many employers might question current sickness / sickness records. I wouldn't be declining anything unless I was 120% certain that my sickness record (or references) wouldn't impact on the offer. Do you know this is the case?
  • Sangie595 thank you and apologies the job offers are not for myself. It’s actually my daughter. She asked me for advice but I was unsure. I’m not in a position at the moment to even think of changing jobs.
  • I would be very annoyed. You should definitely sacrifice your financial security and career to satisfy an employer who would drop you asap if it was in the best interests of the company.

Now that doesnt sound too good....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport