Tesco Current Bank Account

Managed to sign up for a current account with Tesco which pays 3% interest of up to £3k.

First day the account became active, I put the whole 3k into the account.

Due to interest, the balance is now £3004.62 (exciting!), does this mean that I no longer get 3%? E.g. do I need to take £4.62 out of account?

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You will get interest on the £3K if the balance is higher than this so there's no need to transfer the surplus (other than to earn some interest elsewhere of course).
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You had me all excited, then, expecting that they were open for new accounts again....but they aren't.:(
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,536 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    With any of the accounts that say interest paid on £3K, £1.5K whatever, the interest is paid on up to that upper limit but not on any money over.

If I remember rightly Lloyds Club a/c t&cs were worded in such a way that it sounded as if you had over £5K in the account you would receive nothing! I even queried that fact- badly expressed.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • You only earn 3% interest on balances up to £3000 - more than this and you earn 0% on the amount above £3000. "Skim" off the excess each month and put it in another account which pays interest. You should get about £7.54 interest each month which will vary depending on the length of the month. Tesco are unusual in that they pay out interest on the anniversary of opening the account rather than at the beginning of each month, so remember this date.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    "Skim" off the excess each month and put it in another account which pays interest.
    If another account pays the same 3%, you'll get whopping extra 0.045% on £3K, i.e. ~£1.35 over a year.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    newuser78 wrote: »
    Managed to sign up for a current account with Tesco .........

but didn't bother to read the Ts & Cs you've agreed and signed up to....
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • cheesetoast
    cheesetoast Posts: 258 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Katiehound wrote: »
    If I remember rightly Lloyds Club a/c t&cs were worded in such a way that it sounded as if you had over £5K in the account you would receive nothing! I even queried that fact- badly expressed.
    Indeed - the statement made it very unclear:

5b8qyd.jpg
  • newuser78
    newuser78 Posts: 187 Forumite
    mgdavid wrote: »
    but didn't bother to read the Ts & Cs you've agreed and signed up to....

Did you get out of the wrong side of bed? :whistle:

I did read the T&Cs but it was the wording that confused me. Some accounts stop paying interesting if you go over X, and some will continue to pay interest on X. So both eskbanker and Katiehound are correct.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Some accounts stop paying interesting if you go over X, and some will continue to pay interest on X.
    I'm only aware of the latter model, which accounts fall into the former category?
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I did read the T&Cs but it was the wording that confused me. Some accounts stop paying interesting if you go over X, and some will continue to pay interest on X. So both eskbanker and Katiehound are correct.

I have to say that Tesco's wording is extremely clear:
    What will you pay me when I have money in my account?
    If you have money in your account, we’ll pay the following interest on the first £3,000 of your balance, but you won’t get interest on any part of your balance over £3,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure