We've made some changed to Competitions Time. Please see this thread.

Comping Guide - Getting Started & Other FAQs

Comments

• chickaroonee
    chickaroonee Posts: 14,678 Forumite
    A quick tip about googling for your name to see if you have won comps - google alert is a great feature, you can set it to search for a set phrase every day and it will email you when it finds a new site. I have mine set to search for my name everyday and it works really well, it does help that I have an unusual name I suppose!

This is the link:
    http://www.google.com/alerts

too many comps..not enough time!
  • VelvetGlove
    VelvetGlove Posts: 12,008
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks chickaroonee :) I'll have a bit of a play with that & add it into the Guide :)
    Sad because you don't know what to do? :sad: Comping question? Take a look in the Comping Guide to find out :smiley:
  • aytch
    aytch Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Please can I ask, is there a guide on how to do a comps ending list. I had a go in July and was in such a panic as I spent hours doing it and then could not get the links into thread.
    I would like to offer again, but need an idiots guide to getting it right.

Any chance?
    :beer:
    DEBT FREE since 2011
    Retiring to Spain has changed my world

• VelvetGlove
    Forumite
    Hi aytch, I'm sorry, I don't use the Comps Ending lists & don't know the best way to put them together :confused: The Guide already has some info about searching for a specific date (item 2), or how to do neat/clicky links (item 7), but the way that other Comps Ending posters put the lists together I'm afraid I don't know the intimate details!

I'll message some of the others that have done Comps Ending lists & ask how they go about putting the lists together, then I'll spend some time putting together an entry for the Guide itself. BUT there is no guarantee that the Comps Ending lists will be staying after the rules have been broken so often & even after this was pointed out, the rules are still being broken.... So I won't be taking any action on this until that decision has been made by the BGs once they are all back from hols & have had time to discuss the situation.

In the meantime, if you need more info right now, before the decision has been made, then if you ask in the Comp Discussions thread or even pm someone whose list you used & liked the look of to see if they can help you directly? I'm sorry, but I don't want to waste other Compers time getting them to detail to me how they do it, so I can then work up an entry for the Guide if the lists are going to stop, I do hope you understand.

For other Compers reading this, the place to discuss the fate of Comps Ending threads is in the Comps Discussion thread, not here please :o
    It will be a decision by the BGs when they are all back from hols & it would be great to keep the discussion about it in the proper place - thanks :)
    Sad because you don't know what to do? :sad: Comping question? Take a look in the Comping Guide to find out :smiley:
  • aytch
    aytch Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    sorry, been on the comps discussion thread - where are the rules for the comps ending list, I am a bit lost with the debate and would like to be a little more informed?
    Thanks
    DEBT FREE since 2011
    Retiring to Spain has changed my world

• lilias
    lilias Posts: 7,902
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Could you add Craftmatic Beds to the list of spammy sites, please?
  • VelvetGlove
    Forumite
    aytch wrote: »
    sorry, been on the comps discussion thread - where are the rules for the comps ending list, I am a bit lost with the debate and would like to be a little more informed?
    Thanks

Yes, I see you asked about it. I did a search in the Discussions thread to find what you need. Have a look at post number 1532 which links to the rules from diva. Please use the Discussion Thread to discuss them further :)
  • I have read this (very helpful) guide on numerous occasions, including way back when I first joined. It is very comprehensive, and although you clearly explain some competitions are not showing up in search for a few hours, when I search for threads, a lot of the time, they do not show up, so then I post my competition and I then get some really uncalled for posts from other users. I don't want to get into a whole big debate, I only want to ask what I am supposed to do as I try my best and it still does not seem to be enough and the fun is beginning to be taken away from the whole comping experience.
  • VelvetGlove
    Forumite
    I'm glad you're finding this Guide helpful :)

And yes, I read your post over in the Arms about that & all the replies too - you are right about the no big debate on here, the thread for that discussion would be the Discussions Thread :) We'll just concentrate on trying to sort out the search issue :)

The only thing I can suggest is that you post how you are currently searching & I (& any other members around) can try to see if there is anything that will help you get the search results coming back to avoid dupes? :confused: You can also pm me if you'd prefer :) and we can sort this out together?
  • josie301
    josie301 Posts: 4,654
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The only advice I have left to offer is perhaps not to be so specific in the search criteria - I never use advanced search and only put in 1 or 2 key words, never the full url (I was surprised that worked for so many people actually)

I have started adding what I searched to find the original comps when marking duplicates so peole get an idea of what to search for.

hth
    Jo x
    2007:£5181.09 2008: £6619.70 2009: £4284.49 2010: £5213.14 2011: £4980.62 2012: £3188.52 :)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure