Losing the will to work!!

Comments

• skcollo
    skcollo Posts: 693 Forumite
    Has anyone else found this?

I have worked full time and part time during my career. I am presently working part time (very part time as they are removing responsibilities from me as I approach retirement). I have always found this particular job relatively stress free but the closer I get to my retirement date (31.12.17) the less interest I have in going into the office. It is almost as I if I have disengaged completely and just coasting. Luckily my boss has told me to take it easy and we are using this three month period for me to clear up projects, pass over and train people and just generally do very little. It does seem though the less busy I am the less I want to be here. Don't get me wrong, I am still covering my responsibilities to the best of my ability but am thoroughly bored and wanting to move on to the next phase of my life.

Is this common in the months leading up to retirement after you have given in your notice to retire early? I am 57.
    It was for me, I "wound down" for eight years, (although I didnt tell them) just waiting for the offer to emerge.
    Just keep waddling along, it will be here before you know it.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I think that's virtually inevitable for anyone who knows the date they're leaving their current job, with the only constraint for non-retirees being not to imperil their good reference.

I was made redundant and the last month I barely appeared in the office - after a manager said to me "You know you don't actually need to be here" or slightly less blunt words to that effect. It was December and I pleaded flu. My partner is leaving their job to set up their own business and has told me they've already mentally checked out - and they won't be leaving for another 10 months until they complete a training course. (Their employer is chronically understaffed so there are no real worries about being pushed before they jump.)

For someone who's retiring in three months it would be very impressive if they were still fully motivated. In fact I'd consider it quite worrying, because it would suggest they weren't quite ready for retirement.

It is also good practice from the employer's point of view because if the retiree is still doing a lot of the work on the day before they leave, the handover will be chaotic. Ideally they should be gradually winding down and have absolutely sod-all to do in the last few days except compose their leaving speech.

In your position I'd be asking about working from home to avoid the need to go into the office and stare at the wall.
  • Has anyone else found this?
    I have always found this particular job relatively stress free but the closer I get to my retirement date (31.12.17) the less interest I have in going into the office. It is almost as I if I have disengaged completely and just coasting. .

Most people in my profession suffer "burn out" prior to leaving work, what I'm finding with 8 weeks to go, is that I am experiencing "compassion fatigue."

I've worked in mental health for the past 36 years, and in crisis mental health for the past 14.

I'm now at the stage where I can no longer pretend to care. If they want to smoke dope and go off the rails, stuff them, that's their choice. If they think I am going to back them up in their lies to get more dole, they can think again. If they refuse to take their meds and end up back in hospital, I hope they enjoy their stay.

Not good of me I know, but in some cases it seems to be making the more sensible ones think twice before acting.
    “If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and who weren't so lazy.”
  • To all those daydreaming at work wishing it was all over, spotted on a tee-shirt in Seahouses Northumberland: "The only problem with being retired is that you never get the weekend off" :)
  • A lot of those replies made me laugh so thanks for that.

I will be working from home a lot from now until retirement as I have told my boss I am not sitting around with nothing to do and he is fine with that. I also do a lot of internet surfing so that takes some time up and I have redone my retirement budget numerous times.

Came home early today and washed my car and planned my Macmillan coffee morning Friday so not a totally wasted day.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Ha! Just posted on another thread that I have been coasting for the last 18 months or so. Mentally switched off at work but doing enough to stay in the pack.

I should be feeling guilty but the pangs quickly pass. I let my team get on with the work which they do admirably and I'll always die in a ditch for them.

I could offer to work my butt off again but there is little reward and I like
    my current work life balance and sticking to 35-40 hours a week, working from home at least two days a week. I told my boss this and no backlash yet. I've covered her back a lot in the last few years so hopefully she'll put my name up for redundancy as requested!
    Mr Straw described whiplash as "not so much an injury, more a profitable invention of the human imagination—undiagnosable except by third-rate doctors in the pay of the claims management companies or personal injury lawyers"

• ... and planned my Macmillan coffee morning Friday so not a totally wasted day.

A very nobel way to pass the pre-retirement blues.
    If you want to be rich, live like you're poor; if you want to be poor, live like you're rich.
  • In this voyage through life I still have about 5 and a half years until I hit 55 and the early retirement waypoint. In the meantime I have to at least double my AVCs and ISA balance. From my pessimistic forecast in my spreadsheet this should be doable, but I do have to maintain the level of income I already have so taking too much of a relaxed attitude at work is a bit of a no-no for me. Perhaps as I edge closer to 55 and I become more confident of my retirement date I will slacken off a little more in the hope of attracting the redundancy fairy, but I don't want to be too cocky! Hehe.

In the meantime of course there is life to get on with. I can't spend every waking moment wishing for retirement, that's just a waste of life and a demonstration of ingratitude. I intend to use my God given brain to at least make a difference to the world using the skills and knowledge I have somehow managed to cram into my poor aging head.
    If you want to be rich, live like you're poor; if you want to be poor, live like you're rich.
  • Bravepants wrote: »
    In this voyage through life I still have about 5 and a half years until I hit 55 and the early retirement waypoint. In the meantime I have to at least double my AVCs and ISA balance. From my pessimistic forecast in my spreadsheet this should be doable, but I do have to maintain the level of income I already have so taking too much of a relaxed attitude at work is a bit of a no-no for me. Perhaps as I edge closer to 55 and I become more confident of my retirement date I will slacken off a little more in the hope of attracting the redundancy fairy, but I don't want to be too cocky! Hehe.

In the meantime of course there is life to get on with. I can't spend every waking moment wishing for retirement, that's just a waste of life and a demonstration of ingratitude. I intend to use my God given brain to at least make a difference to the world using the skills and knowledge I have somehow managed to cram into my poor aging head.

I too tried to attract the redundancy fairy as from a financial point of view that would have been the icing on the cake. No such luck though and now they are having to divide my job up and shuffle responsibilities all over the place. Hence the reason I was not made redundant I guess. :rotfl:

I think there has to be a balance between saving for an early retirement and living whilst doing it. No one knows what is round the corner. We planned our finances so that the mortgage finished around 10-12 years before retirement, we saved/invested 10% of our income from a fairly young age in pensions/avcs/ISAs and our daughters finished university just as the mortgage finished so that was split between savings and helping kids through uni.

We still managed holidays and the odd meal out, theatre visit etc even whilst saving though which is important. No flashy cars for us though as OH had company car and I normally went for used and we rarely borrowed for anything so no debt repayments.

When I was your age I was still engrossed in work, taking on new challenges and enjoying the buzz. It is only in the last year really since my OH retired (along with most of my friends apparently) that I have found working a struggle. Only 12 weeks to go now!!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • OldBeanz
    OldBeanz Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I was promised redundancy after having been ignored for a couple of years. The redundancy was not supported and it was either kicking off with resultant higher blood pressure or binning it. After putting in my resignation I was given work in an area which I had not worked in for 8 years where there had been 2 major changes of policy and they wanted me to update the documentation. 3 months of signed off stress sick leave put paid to their plans and my career. Not missed it for 1 second. With a good end, a third of my life still to live. Thank goodness I am not a WASPI whose members have all been ground into the dirt and who will not live long enough to see their pensions.
    Does anyone remember any retiree 2 months after they leave?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure