Marriage Allowance

Options

Comments

• polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 2 June 2016 at 3:39PM
    Options
    There's a lot of confusion about the processes around the MAT - both within HMRC and amongst the public. Hopefully, the following doesn't add to it. :)

The process of Self Assessment has nothing to do with PAYE Tax Codes. Essentially, in Self Assessment your sources of taxable income are added up, your allowances are added up, the two are subtracted then the liability to tax is calculated and the results copied to Form SA302, the Tax Calculation.

Self Assessment of a MAT recipient is not affected by the amount transferred. If the transfer is validated, the MAT amount appears as a tax rebate on Form SA302.

PAYE Tax Codes are derived from the information in the SA302 and its within-HMRC equivalents. PAYE Tax Codes instruct those who pay you under PAYE how the money paid is to be taxed. The implication of this is that a PAYE Tax Code becomes irrelevant after the end of the appropriate year.
  • cuteusmaximus
    Options
    I've been investigating income for tax purposes this evening. In FY 2015/16 it transpires that my earnings were £10606 -- literally six quid above the personal alllowance. My husband earned an amount below the upper threshold. By virtue of exceeding £10600 (by £6!!) does this mean we not eligible for Marriage Allowance for Fy 2015/2016? Thank you
    :D
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 June 2016 at 12:43PM
    Options
    I've been investigating income for tax purposes this evening. In FY 2015/16 it transpires that my earnings were £10606 -- literally six quid above the personal alllowance. My husband earned an amount below the upper threshold. By virtue of exceeding £10600 (by £6!!) does this mean we not eligible for Marriage Allowance for Fy 2015/2016? Thank you
    It's not a question of eligibility in your case. Transferring £1,060 of your allowance to your husband would mean he would pay £[STRIKE]232[/STRIKE] £212 less tax and you would pay £[STRIKE]232[/STRIKE] £212 more. So there doesn't seem to be much point in making the transfer.

For the allowance to be fully effective (i.e. £[STRIKE]232[/STRIKE] £212 tax saving), your taxable earnings would need to be below £9,540 for 2015/16 (£10,600 - £1,060).

Edit
    Sorry, I incorrectly quoted the amount of the maximum tax saving. It is £1,060 x 20% = £212 (not £232 as originally quoted). I have amended the post accordingly.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • ellatok27
    Options
    What if I'm married and I have only earned £900 can I still apply for MA?
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 June 2016 at 6:50PM
    Options
    ellatok27 wrote: »
    What if I'm married and I have only earned £900 can I still apply for MA?
    Hi ellatok27 and welcome to the forum.

Providing your spouse is a basic-rate taxpayer, yes, you can. For the maximum tax saving, their taxable income would need to have been at least £11,660 for 2015/16 (£10,600 + £1,060) but if it was at least £10,600 they will get some benefit from the allowance.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Osjancatw
    Options
    Thanks so much Money Saving Expert. I applied to get my unused personal allowance transferred to my husband. Application was so easy and approved a week later. My husband got a new tax code. We didn't get anything backdated to last year so i wrote to them. it took 3 weeks but yesterday my husband got a cheque for £211. Many many thanks because we would never have known about this but for you.
  • kerryallc71
    kerryallc71 Posts: 365 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I applied online for the marriage allowance on the 8th of April ,we got the change of tax code letter but no chq for £212.00 , it's now the 18th of June , should I ring hmrc up ? . Thankyou for your help in advance .
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    I applied online for the marriage allowance on the 8th of April ,we got the change of tax code letter but no chq for £212.00 , it's now the 18th of June , should I ring hmrc up ? . Thankyou for your help in advance .

If you applied you won't be getting a cheque for £212 so little point in you phoning. Your spouse could ring though and ask when he can expect his refund (this is assuming you actually applied for this year AND last year when you did the application on 8 April and your spouse has paid enough tax to get a refund for last year)
  • mintypeas
    mintypeas Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    we are still waiting for £212 to be refunded and we have now been told that the system didnt update itself to recognize the marriage allowance but that we will be paid the refund by end of june. apparently there are thousands that are waiting for the refund. we have been ringing them since end of april and get told something different everytime. we received a calculation this week which we also received at end of april stating that the 212 is owing aswell as my husbands refund for self employment. so i think its a waiting game.
  • eddiewl
    eddiewl Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 20 June 2016 at 11:16AM
    Options
    any chance Martin could highlight that people can claim this marriage allowance,not married couples allowance,.I completed our tax credit claim a week last friday and thankfully whilst on the hmrc website noticed the above allowance.after reading through the conditions i realised we were eligible and applied to transfer to my wife a portion of my tax allowance. the hmrc website says it can take 8 weeks for checks to be made and any payment sent. This morning my wife has received a cheque for last years backdating of 210.20 which is like winning the lottery for us.
    Well done the HMRC for being so efficient.
    BUt i wonder how many more couples in the same financial struggle as us still arent aware they can claim..should the hmrc do more being has they know the financials of households?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback