The giving up/cutting down alcohol support thread Part 8!

Options
Welcome all :wave:, to a brand new sparkly giving up/cutting down alcohol support thread! :D (if you wait for Lurky to do anything, you'd wait a life time ;))

In Search Of Me started this thread back in February 2008 (please see her opening post below) and since then it has become one of the fastest growing threads on MSE, hence us now being on number 8!

I am sure there are many many lurkers out there, as Part 7 has around 4700 posts but well over 90,000 views!!

So please, lurkers, AWOL posters and oldies alike, please join us in Part 8, it's the 1st August 2010, a whole brand new shiney month!

We have regular challenges, a monthly AF (alcohol free) challenge where you can pick a target of how many days AF you would like to be, we sometimes have 24 hour AF challenges.

December Baby (DB) has kindly offered to take the gauntlet for August, so if you would like to join (even if we are halfway through the month), please let her know how many days you would like to achieve.

It's not just about giving up alcohol completely (unless that's what you want to do and there are lots of people to support you here), it's also about cutting down to save money and get healthier.

Oh come on, let's be honest, it's not about the booze, it's all about what we're having for dinner, hairy feet and goats in showers :D

Here are the previous threads:

The previous thread (part 7) is HERE

Part 6 is HERE

Part 5 is HERE

Part 4 is HERE

Part 3 is HERE

Part 2 is HERE

and the original starting thread is HERE

Here is ISOM's opening post in Part 1:

"There are a few of us who want to give up/cut down & I thought it would be good to widen the net to support each other along the way!
For me alch & feeling good for the time I'm drinking & then rubbish after go hand in hand. A bit like drinking & smoking & drinking & getting the munchies! Last year I gave up alch & fags for 10 months & then "slipped" towards Christmas until by Jan I was doing both with alarming regularity. I dread to think how much both cost me financially and I know physically that I've felt rubbish. My lungs hurt, have put on weight & literally none of my clothes fit so I will have to buy more - which means a dent in my budget that I can ill afford. My skin is also yukky & much nicer when I dont drink/smoke!
I had my last ciggies the night before last & last wine on Tues. I know I will feel 100% better when I crack it but also know it will be hard. One disadvantage here is that all too often DFW "parties" tend to involve alcohol so I'm also hoping that this can possibly be a safe haven for those of us who want, or need, to abstain, for now at least!
Anway - I hope that this can be a place of real support for people who are sturggling. I do wonder whether there is a link between debt & drinking as from the Jan thread it was obvious that so many struggle to give up! Plus I know for me that I feel much hapier and in control when I dont drink (or drink in moderation) - which of course begs the question "why do I do it?"! Anyway, I do but will now try not t ad hope some of you wil join in. Some days I know I wil fail, just as I do with my debt free journey and I am more than happy to be given a swift (but nice!) kicking when I do! Hugs all and dare I say...:beer: but this time with water!!

PS have amended this slightly as I have decided that I will try for the moderation way! That means for me not drinking over the recc limits (bottle & a half of wine for me!) but I know at times this will be a struggle plus I'm aware that others want to do the same."

A NEW MONTH, A NEW THREAD.......C'MMMMMMON GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!

Comments

• Miss_Piggy_2
    Miss_Piggy_2 Posts: 3,631 Forumite
    Options
    Lovely new thread - thanks Jo!:D

Miss P
    xx
    **Keep Calm and Carry On!**
  • jo1972
    jo1972 Posts: 8,901 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Remember that thing that someone on here said about the future is untainted, clean and pure (cos we haven't had a chance to get our hands on it yet ;)), well this is a new untainted, clean and pure thread :D
  • StressedOutSue
    Options
    Thanks, Jo.

Ok, well here's my target again: 20 AFDs for me please, December Baby. Thanks

Have a great day and lovely August, all

Sue

xoxo
    Jan: 24/23 Feb: 21/22 March: 24/25
  • jo1972
    Options
    Right, so lets start as I mean to go on....what you all having for dinner today? :D

I'm doing the 6 hour pork again, I reckon I must have that alot because I seem to post on here practically every Sunday saying I'm doing it!

Feeling very positive for August, it's my fav month but have no idea why, except that I normally go on hols in August and it's my mum's birthday, nothing else happens! It is really important to me that I keep sober this month, I was sober for the whole of August 2006 and 2008 and so I know it's possible. I am going on holiday to the same place that I went to in 2006 and managed to stay AF there, so I also know that's possible. I am particularly looking forward to waking up and being unhungovered as we are half board and I will be able to wake up at stupid o'clock for a walk on the beach, then straight back for a full english....and porridge....and maybe pancakes ;).....wellllll I will need feeding up after all the walking on the beach ;)

Bring it on!! :D

ETA: Morning Sue :wave: good luck for August, don't be a stranger :)
  • Different_Corner
    Options
    Food !
    Full English underway as I type.
    Roast chicken with the lot this afternoon.
    DS2 really likes the look of Jamie O's six hour pork. I've yet to attempt. He loves Man v Food on the food channel. There always seems to be slow roasted farm animals cooked like this over there. 'Pulled pork' sandwiches and the like.
    DC.
    "Some people walk in the rain... others just get wet... " - Roger Miller
  • jo1972
    Options
    I've just looked at The Demotivator and it says
    'You spend £1,825.00 a year on beer and you work 5.4 week(s) a year to pay for it. Over a working life that's £82,125.00. Think what you could do with that!'
    That would go some way to getting me out of the ghetto, I know that much for sure :eek:
  • penelopedee_2
    penelopedee_2 Posts: 2,698 Forumite
    Options
    Morning Jo, its going to be sausages, mash and veg for us - trying to 'shop' from the freezer and cupboards before we go on hols.

I can't decide on my AFness this month. I've two hols to deal with and my brothers family are going to be down this week. Sometimes I do better when I don't give myself a target if we've loads on. (Or am I just making excuses again).

Hope everyone is well x

Nice, shiny new thread :D
    This time I haven't smoked since 6th Jan 2014 and still going ok.
    Fingers crossed x
  • skintscottishgirl
    Options
    randomname wrote: »
    Good morning all.

Well, todays the day. A brand new challenge and I am feeling very positive. Good luck to everyone participating.

Skintscottishgirl. What a fantastic achievement for July.:T

Thanks RN to be honest I never thought i would see the day!

SSG

XX
    :):)
  • jo1972
    Options
    DC, I guarantee you, if you stick to the method on Jamie's recipe, you will have a huge piece of pork that you could eat with a spoon...and no, I'm not exagerating!

*Hoping that more people turn up soon as, once again, I will be at the top of the posts list *rolleyes*
  • fedupandskint
    fedupandskint Posts: 10,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning Jo!

For dinner today it is frittata made with bottom of the fridge veg (peppers, mushrooms and spinach) and 5 eggs to feed me tonight with salad leaves from the garden and then have at least 2 more meals out of it - poss lunch and one tea

must try that pork dish one time as it sounds delish.

Spoke to mum yesterday who told me how much she enjoyed the ham in cola we had last week. Will be doing this again at some point

Right think I might get out in the garden for a bit if I can drag myself away from the marathon
    final unsecured debt to repay currently £8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills