Expired ID - not proof of age?

Comments

• Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    A few stores employ moronic staff but luckily most don't. Or is it down to staff training? Either way I'd email them and name and shame them on social media.
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

• amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,004
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Go on your own next time with your own valid ID, problem solved:)
    Wish I was asked for ID, those days are long gone for me ;)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    edited 26 March 2017 at 7:47AM
    easy wrote: »
    I don't understand ... if you had valid id that showed you were over 18, why did you leave empty handed ?

If I call in to the supermarket with my son (17), and buy a bottle of wine, they don't refuse me because I have someone under age with me !!

Something is definitely not right here.

As you are buying alcohol, the cashier doesn't need to ID you. If your son was buying it once he turned 18 then ID will be needed. If the cashier overhears a conversation between you and your son about the wine is for him, the cashier can refuse due to proxy. This means buying alcohol for the intention for an under 18. It also applies to tobacco now.

We only sell alcohol on the cig and lottery counter. At Christmas, we sell gift sets with alcohol in the seasonal section.

We have been told to only accept ID which isn't expired as I explained to a young adult who handed me a passport which expired 2 years ago with a photo of her aged 12 and she was so different. You cannot fly on an expired passport.

If your wife was driving and had a police officer doing random spot checks to see licenses - had it done four times and handed over her expired photocard, she could face a fine of £1000..
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    edited 26 March 2017 at 7:55AM
    amersall wrote: »
    Go on your own next time with your own valid ID, problem solved:)
    Wish I was asked for ID, those days are long gone for me ;)

Visit Tennessee where it's law to show ID regardless of age!

We were forewarned.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2014/jul/29/no-id-no-liquor-and-wrinkles-dont-count-universal-/263003/

There is another US state where it's law to seek ID for anyone looking under 50. Imagine if you were my age (35) and not being asked for it.
  • The-Truth
    The-Truth Posts: 483 Forumite
    Sicard wrote: »
    Either way I'd email them and name and shame them on social media.

Or how about acting like an adult?
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    How much has your wife's appearance changed in the last 10+ years since she got the license? she would have been late teens to very early twenties for it to have expired, surely she doesn't look exactly the same now at 32. Maybe the cashier couldn't be 100% sure it was her ID.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Technically as far as the DVLA are concerned the licence has not expired, it is the photo that expires and needs renewing
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    biscuit333 wrote: »
    I'm not complaining I'm just asking for legal clarification.

You clearly confirmed that you agreed with the forum policy on legal advice as part of your signup.

Why are you going against it now?
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    How much has your wife's appearance changed in the last 10+ years since she got the license? she would have been late teens to very early twenties for it to have expired, surely she doesn't look exactly the same now at 32. Maybe the cashier couldn't be 100% sure it was her ID.

This was what I was going to say. I used my expired passport a lot at uni going into clubs, but it once got rejected, he said it was because it was expired, or could have been the fact that the photo was 13 year old me (I was 18/19 at the time).

I would also suggest your wife renew her photo on her licence, she can be fined for not renewing it (even if she doesn't drive)

As for refusing alcohol when with another person who could be underage I think that's a new thing where cashiers are too cautious. I went shopping with my mum all the time when I was 16/17 and she bought booze (for her and me) and she never got refused. Parents are allowed to buy booze for their kids if they drink it at home. If an 18 year old buys booze for their 16 year old friends then that's different. Common sense needs to prevail, but some cashiers don't have it.
  • Twopints
    Twopints Posts: 1,770
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The-Truth wrote: »
    Or how about acting like an adult?
    But they can't prove they are an adult because their driving licence has expired, so why behave like one? :beer:
    Not even wrong
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport