Neighbours guests using my drive without my permission.

Options
PhilE
PhilE Posts: 566 Forumite
Probably not a big deal for some, but I don't like it. This evening I was doing a repair on my front porch when one of the neighbors guests used my drive to reverse in, right in front of me.

Was very tempted to go straight round the neighbors. The guest could of been visiting one of two houses. One house has neighbors who have been excellent, and I didn't want to trouble them as the husband is a nervous type.

The other neighbor is rather like her dog, barks at anything all day long if its not sitting there looking nervous. Even look in her direction and she's ready to be on the offensive.

The easiest solution would be to install a telescopic post or cheaper folding one. Adds a measure of security also.

The folding ones start at £20, telescopic £75. Id like something strong enough to leave a good dent, should someone be careless enough to use my drive with them in place. Suggestions welcome.

Comments

• tired_dad
    Options
    Personally, I think your overeacting. Your neighbour has no control over where or how a visitor drives.
  • PhilE
    PhilE Posts: 566 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not asking for opinions on how I should feel about my private land being used by others.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You mean he reverse onto your drive, but didn't park there?
    I'd say get over it.
    Parking would be a different matter
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • 21st century problems eh?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    PhilE wrote: »
    Suggestions welcome.
    Maybe consider why you feel so territorial and upset at minor infringements of your space.

You say yourself it might not be a problem for some. That's perhaps because others have more substantial worries or, conversely, feel relaxed about life's minor irritations.

Yes, you could install a security post and then have the joy of locking and unlocking it every time you come in or go out. Or you could probably get an electronic, motorised one if you spend a few hundred pounds more. So what? You'll have bought a solution to a problem many of us wouldn't have in the first place, which from a MSE perspective, isn't clever.
  • kelpie35
    kelpie35 Posts: 1,781 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    All I can say is thankfully I am not your neighbor.

For goodness sake they have not parked in your driveway.
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Please state your postcode, so at least the forum members can add it to their Rightmove blacklist filter.
  • JP1978
    JP1978 Posts: 527 Forumite
    Options
    stator wrote: »
    You mean he reverse onto your drive, but didn't park there?
    I'd say get over it.
    Parking would be a different matter

Everything has a finite life - including the tarmac/block paving/flagstones that the driveway is made of. More use it gets, the less time it will last.

I will give testament that its annoying - we share an access drive with two others, as neighbours up the road have used one of the proper turning spaces for their parking - so they don't have to use their own drive, there is limited space to now turn. So where do they all turn? Yes, in our shared drive.

Most people granted do only reverse as far up to the footpath (council owned) and no more, their wheels do not go over. Others, DPD, Asda vans etc, have to reverse all the way into the shared access to turn around. Its annoying as I will have to pay a third of any repairs done to that area.
  • martinthebandit
    Options
    If it annoys you that much put some gates up.

'Having a word' with neighbours about it won't solve anything and could, potentially, make it much worse.

Although my preferred option would be to mutter a few choice words under my breath about it and then get on with the rest of my life.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 16 September 2017 at 10:20AM
    Options
    JP1978 wrote: »
    Everything has a finite life - including the tarmac/block paving/flagstones that the driveway is made of. More use it gets, the less time it will last.

Its annoying as I will have to pay a third of any repairs done to that area.

Many situations in life are 'unfair,' but trying to make them fair or alter others behaviour is often futile and, ultimately, self-destructive behaviour.

I have a repairing obligation on a private road too. Some people use it much more than I do and there's at least two business users with heavier vehicles that are exempt from payment altogether. What can I do about that? Nothing, so I choose not to worry about it, especially as I can see dozens of advantages my propertyhas, which I might not find easily anywhere else..

People can choose to value and enjoy the pleasures their home gives them, or focus on the problems owning or renting any house will surely bring.

If the problems seem insurmountable, too annoying or too numerous, the answer might be to move, but finding a property with no problems, or easily remedied shortcomings.....well, good luck with that!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure