Halifax Total Mortgage Protection Plan (TMPP) - Can I reclaim?

Comments

• HI, I applied for tmpp refund in similar circumstances to yours, they have sent a cheque for partial refund, pretty quickly i might add, but said only the mortgage repayment cover was applicable, the life cover and critical illness did not apply for refund. Did you just get these refunded also?
    thanks, jeanette
    Its tempting to bank the cheque but not if im being underpaid!
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,316 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    jeanettep wrote: »
    HI, I applied for tmpp refund in similar circumstances to yours, they have sent a cheque for partial refund, pretty quickly i might add, but said only the mortgage repayment cover was applicable, the life cover and critical illness did not apply for refund. Did you just get these refunded also?
    thanks, jeanette
    Its tempting to bank the cheque but not if im being underpaid!

Life assurance and critical illness cover are not PPI. So, if you put in a PPI complaint, you would not be refunded on a successful complaint for the non-PPI items.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • I have been reading about prevail claims on PPI policies. Can you make a claim for an existing policy?
  • dunstonh
    I have been reading about prevail claims on PPI policies. Can you make a claim for an existing policy?

What is prevail?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • dunstonh wrote: »
    What is prevail?
    "Previous" I assume ('phone autocorrect).
  • Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I have been reading about prevail claims on PPI policies. Can you make a claim for an existing policy?
    What is prevail?

Plevin was my guess?
  • Can anyone advise ? I am just about to tackle the questionairre from Halifax Bank of Scotland . I recently became aware that I have been paying PPI on my mortgage since 1993. The reason I believe that it was misoldwas that it was not suitable for my needs . At the time I worked for a charity and was fully covered for sickness for a year and there was a no redundancy policy . To be honest I can’t remember the process around the time of the sale . This only came to light when I randomly decided to phone the bank with a general enquiry to see if I had PPI they told me that I had PPI on my mortgage and a previous loan and have sent me the questionairres for both . They gave me 4 account numbers for the mortgage claim ( probably remortgages) .. I would really. Appreciate any advice or opinions as I don’t want to mess this up .
  • dunstonh
    At the time I worked for a charity and was fully covered for sickness for a year and there was a no redundancy policy .

Neither of those work as good complaints reasons. The FOS have been rejecting complaints with 12 months sick pay. MPPI pays out in addition to redundancy pay. So, basically, you have confirmed you had a financial need for the policy.
    Appreciate any advice or opinions as I don’t want to mess this up .

If you cannot remember how it was sold, then say so. Do not lie or guess. Being caught out can harm your complaint.

Come up with better complaint reasons as yours are weak at the moment. You may succeed with what you have got (although it would be reliant on other unidentified failures and Halifax are a generally a soft touch). However, you are complaining about a type of PPI where most complaints fail and is considered a viable product and is set up correctly (monthly premium) covering a major debt (not an unsecured short-term debt).
  • brocki
    brocki Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 2 December 2017 at 3:46PM
    Thanks ...my partner recollects that he thought they were pushing the policy . I will fill it in anyway with the main reason being it was not suitable for my needs , admitting that I have limited recollection of the sale . Feeling a bit more hopeful for the loan claim . Thank you
    Just a thought ..we have another property which could have been sold to cover any deficit ..would that be considered do you know ?
  • dunstonh
    my partner recollects that he thought they were pushing the policy .

Yes. They operated a salesforce. So, they would be selling it. Sales pressure is allowed as long as it doesnt cross a line. The evidence is key in that sort of thing. If you complain within weeks of that sales event and have no evidence, then its still considered credible. Making that same allegation 24 years after the event carries no credibility at all.
    Just a thought ..we have another property which could have been sold to cover any deficit ..would that be considered do you know ?

Your scenario at point of sale is what matters. If you had another property in 1993 then you could mention it. However, do remember that 93 was the period of the last major house price crash. People didnt want to sell properties back then unless they had to. Also, a property is rarely considered to be a liquid asset (i.e. you cant pop into town and draw money from it to pay your mortgage). Plus, it carries its own risks if rented out if the person doesnt pay the rent. It doesnt prevent MPPI being suitable.

Bottom line in your case is that a sale of MPPI could still be suitable and justified and a decent file could support the sale and reject the complaint. However, Halifax do give in easily and they probably lack any detail on the sale and you may well get lucky. So, give it a go.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure