PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style Daily Sunday 10th September

dumpling
dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
edited 10 September 2017 at 2:09PM in Old style MoneySaving
This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Comments

• dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Good morning everyone :hello:

Well I am up bright and early this morning and it is too dark still to see what the day is like outside. Everyone else is being very sensible and still asleep. I will go and feed the pets in a minute and then I will settle down with my knitting. I finished the pirate and now I have started to knit a fairy.

We have had a very bad couple of days with Becky and Phoebe. Becky had a total meltdown on Friday night and it was very difficult to get her to come out of it. It also meant I had to check up on her all through the night so I didn't get much sleep. Meanwhile, poor Phoebe had her first camhs meeting on Friday as well and basically sobbed through the whole appointment. Her anxieties are ruling her life now and she also needed a lot of support on Friday and yesterday as well. I am exhausted truth be told but I have everything crossed the girls have a more settled day today.

Steve is cooking lunch today and we are having my favourite meal of roast chicken and veg. I also have to remember to put a gammon joint in to soak overnight along with some dried peas as I want to make pea and ham soup tomorrow. It's going to be that kind of day I think where you need something warming and rib sticking to eat.

I am hoping to go and visit my friends this week on the bus but obviously it all depends on how the girls are doing. Other than that it is a fairly quiet week planned so far. The fair is in town so I expect the girls will want to go to that with their friends. Becky and Steve are also going to see an AC/DC tribute band on Friday. Becky is really looking forward to it and Steve is going as her bodyguard :D.

Gers, I hope your mum continues to improve and will be home soon. Both sets of our parents are getting older and frailer so I know what a worry it can be. We count ourselves very blessed though that we still have them.
    Lainey, I am so happy that you have your new horsey friend. May you have many happy years with her.

Sending out hugs and cwtch's to all who would like one xx

Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
  • nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 September 2017 at 7:07AM
    Morning everyone

dumpling - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH and myself enjoying first cuppas of the day. Boys both still in their pits.

Light here, but very misty and temperature has really dropped, yesterday we had a decent morning with some lovely sunshine, but then in the afternoon had several really heavy downpours, and that seems to be the forecast for the coming week.

Dinner last night was duck in hoisin sauce, ribs, noodles and veg stir fry and savoury rice - all eaten and enjoyed. Today we're having roast pork with all the trimmings, as we haven't had a HM proper roast for ages and we all fancied it. I'll be prepping the pack ups too whilst the lunch is cooking then settling this afternoon for a chilled afternoon.

Yesterday afternoon DH and myself went to see the Manager at the opticians to sort out DH's glasses - all a long winded story but in short, he's chosen and paid in full for a pair of glasses 6 weeks ago and still hasn't got them. They are a difficult prescription and we know that but no-one's been in touch keeping us up to speed on what's happening, and we've been told on 2 occasions, they would be available within the next 2-3 days - and then nothing - so we'll see, at least we've had a refund of the monies paid, and are supposedly getting the glasses for free - we'll see. We also went back to the garage where we'd seen a car we like, took it for a test drive and looks like we'll be buying it - it's much more economical than the 4x4 we have at the moment, we now have no need for it as we don't have the caravan any more, the new car is 3 years old and has average miles on it - it was a mobility car - it's very tidy, it's very comfortable and I loved driving it - it is £0 tax and DH thinks it should be cheaper insurance, I'm not so sure but it's a lot smaller engine size, so could be, I'll be ringing our insurance company to find out this morning, this may be a deciding factor on whether we have it or not. If we do decide to purchase it - we'll be keeping it for a while as we just don't put the mileage on the cars any more.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :hello: [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Thinking of you and your mum [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Gers[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] xx[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I woke up yesterday freezing cold and aching all over. I felt awful all morning but by lunchtime I was fine, I don't know what it was but I'm glad it went away quickly, lol.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Master tru finished a job yesterday, the customer paid immediately without him having to ask (most unusual!) then gave him a bag full of veg from her garden – runner beans, cabbages, peppers and garlic. She has shot to the top of his great-customer-will-fit-them-in-at-any-time list :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Just four little jobs left on my list, I'll do them in a mo and then the day is all mine. I've planned for the next week so I don't have to worry about forgetting something, it should be a peaceful week so I'm going to fit in some pampering. I look and feel like I'm surviving rather than living – there's no reason for it other than I've got a bit lazy with myself :D
    [/FONT]

:beer:
    Bulletproof
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Morning all

Nice bright day here atm but rain due over at 11ish this morning, off to work for me and my last day before two off which I am looking forward to. Yesterday was busier than I thought at work so I hope today is a bit quieter.

Not sure about dinner OH is in charge of that, yesterday he cooked a lovely
    gourmet burger and lovely fries, it was very tasty.

Nothing will be done once I am in tonight, just a hot bath and jamas on, and maybe light the fire if it gets cooler.

Gers I hope mum Is ok.

Dumpling hugs to you and the girls xx

Have good days all xx
  • TravellingAbuela
    TravellingAbuela Posts: 6,670 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 September 2017 at 7:48AM
    Morning folks and thanks DUMPLING for kicking off. I was rudely awakened at silly o'clock by the chap over the road revving up his classic car for ages. He frequently goes to classic car rallies, hence the early starts most Sundays, which waken up all the neighbours. Bah!

I haven't given a thought to packing for our jaunt down south tomorrow so better put my mind to that first job. As this weather seems set in countrywide my mac is top priority! It's more like April than September, one minute blue sky and sunshine and the next rain coming down like stair rods.

I finally plucked up courage to venture into the phone shop yesterday! My Windows phone has served me well for about 4 years but it was getting unreliable as it kept sticking. I would have got another as they are simple to operate but they don't stock them! The young lad obviously thought I was a dim witted old biddy the way he spoke to me - well I am when it comes to techie stuff but I don;t want to be treated as such! I ended up with a Samsung Galaxy which I spent most of last night fathoming out! I managed to download a few apps, including What'sApp, so felt quite chuffed with myself. There's still a bit of life left in the old brain!

GERS I hope your DM continues to improve. It's a worry when our parents start failing. I was at my mum's constant beck and call for her last 8 years or so and it left me exhausted so take of yourself too. DUMPLING thinking of you and your girls too. I do hope things improve for you all soon.

(HUGS) for all the poorlies too - it sounds like there are lots of bugs about. See you when we get back from Devon. Take care xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 September 2017 at 8:17AM
    Morning everyone,

Thanks for starting us off dumpling

Gers I hope that your mum has had a better night and is on the mend now.

Dumpling I’m so sorry that Becky and Phoebe are having such a terrible time right now. You are doing an amazing job with them, they are lucky to have the support of a mum like you. I hope that they get the support that they need from CAMHS. Take care of yourself as well ((hugs)).

Lainey I'm pleased that Lulu has arrived safely, I hope that you enjoy many years together.

As it was nice and sunny for most of the day yesterday I managed to get all of the washing line dried, which was good. Then I thought that I would make the most of the weather and go for a walk in the park. I’m trying to get out for a walk when the weather is dry.

I defrosted some mince to make a chilli for dinner today that will make a change. It’s not something I’ve made for a while now. I’m making a lot more autumn/winter meals now.

Not really sure of my plans for today, my brother said he may need to come over early this morning to do a local emergency job and he will call in if he does. Sometimes when he gets a call out near me at a weekend, he will pick me up and take me over to his to see the family but I never know until he gets here if that is happening. He’s not one for forward planning, and even if he does, he then forgets to make the arrangements.

Meanwhile, I’m going to get another cup of tea and some breakfast.

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing.
  • Good morning

Dumpling thanks for starting us off, sorry to hear the girls are struggling.

Gers hope your Mum continues to improve and is home soon.

LaineyT enjoy Lulu

Hester thought you were going to retire, you seem to be working harder than ever.

Yesterday was beautiful, warm and sunny until 6pm when we had a quick shower, today is forecast to be the same.

So many tomatoes to be picked, tomato sauce production on industrial scale :D today.

DH has been helping collect seed for next year, oh dear. He got confused didn't label them and I have no idea what they are, think he may have mixed 2 or 3 different ones together. Still worse things happening in the world and it will be a surprise when it grows next year. Veg in the flower beds? He's happy 'helping'

Hope you all have a good day.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • Mmmm. Think we may have a wrong date somewhere. I hope so - I haven't got DH a card for our anniversary tomorrow:eek:

On the list.

But at the moment, all stop. We're supposed to be diving but the RN is being a pest. Dive buddy was, NOT sailing, sailing, we've broken the boat. At 2330 last night we were at - mmm. Boat broken but will repair. Final instructions 0930.

Just as well we're a forces family and well used to this.:D

So not sure what we are doing today.

Grey and drench, so we might go bouldering if diving is cancelled.

Gers hope your Mum had a good night.

Enjoy Sunday everyone.
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • Good Morning chums and thanks for the kick start dumpling.
    The sun is out and shining at the moment ,but rain is forecast later.
    Well another Sunday morning and its menu planning first after breakfast as I have done for the past 50+ years :) I work out what I have in stock to eat for the week and if anything is needed.

At the moment I can't think of anything as I am 'eating' down my freezer to defrost hopefully before Christmas. :) hanging on to my pennies as well as using up what I have already.I was thinking last night actually that there is probably the best part of £150s worth of food in the freezer/cupboards ,so why would I need anymore :) I think we all get a bit 'conditioned' to shopping .I have managed to get it down to about once every 8-10 days :) but this month I shall do my best to shop from indoors rather than buy more stuff to store :)I shall see how it goes.At the moment there is nothing needed at all which i am pleased about as I have only spent just over £15 this month :) Different for those of you with children and husbands to fill up I guess.

I had one of those pears my friend gave me last night from her tree and it was gorgeous,bless her I think I might treat her to a fruit cake as I seem to have an abundance of dried fruit in the cupboard at the moment.

Right off to have a cuppa and sort out the menus then feet up and listening to the Archers will do me for the morning.

hope you all have a good day and your Mum improves Gers

Take care everyone

JackieO xxx
  • Morning all

Thanks for the thread Dumpling, hugs to you and your girls.

Hugs to Gers, Csarina and anyone else in need. Lainey, enjoy Lulu. Silveroldie, it's my own fault I didn't want to end up with no money so I started cleaning boats before I finish work in October so now I'm rushed off my feet, hey ho, I'll live.

My new fridge/freezer was delivered yesterday and we shopped for stuff to fill it with. Frozen chips, frozen peas, a mix of fish to make fish pie with and CHS bought the 3 for £10 pork packs, this time they will not be thrown away. As he was getting the meat I suggested he get something for lunch today that wasn't pork as I can't eat it, he chose beefburgers, so they will be served with roast potatoes, yorkies & veg!

We may dodge the showers and go for a walk today.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills