MSE News: No water fountains in more than HALF of UK airports

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    I drink at least 4 pints of tap water every day.

The only time I buy bottled water is at the airport to take on the plane and during my holidays abroad.
    I buy the cheapest I can find. That's usually Boots own brand
    (I think something like Glen...? Or maybe Buxton) at 2 for £2.00

So I don't have empty bottles hanging about at home to put in my (sometimes pretty full) hand luggage to fill from free water fountains once I've got through Security.
  • fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    London Southend Airport's chief executive officer Glyn Jones has already responded to our letter, saying: "We do not provide water fountains. However, free filling of water bottles is available on request, which we think is a better solution and one which is much more hygienic than even the best maintained water fountain.

"We were actually complimented last week by a guest on Twitter for this approach and, as always, we will continue to listen to our guests."

I too, compliment London Southend Airport's approach to providing water fountains.

I'm sure there will be 'guests' who know whether or not using a water fountain is the most sensible thing to do?

However, I wouldn't let someone else fill a water bottle for me either.

Which leaves the purchasing water, option.

To me, It's an informed choice based on an individuals health, rather than a money saving exercise and publicity campaign, in this particular instance.
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I've never bought water in an airport. Plane departs @ 14:00, I arrive @12:30, spend 20 mins going through security, 20 mins walking the mile through Gatwick to the Gate, board plane and after take off buy a drink and start enjoying my holiday. If I had to absolutely get a drink in an airport I would get one.

I do chuckle when queuing at security the amount of bottles that have been found in peoples bags- you'd have thought that after ten years of no liquids the penny would have dropped but there are some proper dimwits out there- usually on my Easyjet flight!

I agree with RichardW sentiments about donating to Oxfam re Yemen and dirty water. Good call.
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    mikael wrote: »
    I can afford to buy water, but I think it is a wasteful and bad for the environment to force people to buy bottled water which has been trucked all over the country or even across Europe. I also hate being forced to buy something I forcibly have to give up. Filling up a bottle with tap water is entirely reasonable.
    And of course flying is so good for the enviroment .
    A lot of people hate being 'forcibly' blown up mid flight too (hence the rule re liquids )
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    I too, compliment London Southend Airport's approach to providing water fountains.

I'm sure there will be 'guests' who know whether or not using a water fountain is the most sensible thing to do?

However, I wouldn't let someone else fill a water bottle for me either.
    Why won't you let someone else fill your water bottle? Do you ever order drinks at a bar or eat in a restaurant?
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    I do chuckle when queuing at security the amount of bottles that have been found in peoples bags- you'd have thought that after ten years of no liquids the penny would have dropped but there are some proper dimwits out there- usually on my Easyjet flight!
    Last time through Manchester my wife's bag got diverted into the "suspect" queue because they detected something suspcious. We then had to wait about half an hour in a massive queue of bags to be manually searched, behind utter morons with stuff like water bottles, cans of beer, and a big tub of yogurt in their bags.

The offending article in my wife's bag was this https://www.superdrug.com/Pitrok/PitROK-Crystal-Natural-Deodorant-Stick-100g/p/252468 - a crystal deodorant. There is no way it's even close to a liquid, or a paste, it's crystal - ie rock! But their machines apparently saw it as a liquid!
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    zagfles wrote: »
    Last time through Manchester my wife's bag got diverted into the "suspect" queue because they detected something suspcious. We then had to wait about half an hour in a massive queue of bags to be manually searched, behind utter morons with stuff like water bottles, cans of beer, and a big tub of yogurt in their bags.

The offending article in my wife's bag was this https://www.superdrug.com/Pitrok/PitROK-Crystal-Natural-Deodorant-Stick-100g/p/252468 - a crystal deodorant. There is no way it's even close to a liquid, or a paste, it's crystal - ie rock! But their machines apparently saw it as a liquid!

I get stopped every single time! First it was canned deodorant- I thought it was a gas but not. Now I always get stopped because of my ipad- even though it is out of the case it makes no difference- i've given up ever sailing straight through and just add it into my journey time- very efficient at Gatwick and adds no more than five minutes and the staff are friendly so I always have a little joke and a chat with them. This year I was stopped because my see through bag holding my liquids was too big!
  • BodMor
    BodMor Posts: 19 Forumite
    Signposted free cold water facilities in the main retail area and near each group of gates should be a mandatory licensing condition for all UK airport operators.

The problem is particularly acute on cattle class long haul flights where it may be a couple of hours into a flight in a packed and sweltering cabin before water is offered, and even longer since clearing pre-flight security.

There is a clear conflict of interest between providing such free water and the percentage of tenant retail takings that the operator enjoys from its resident retailers. Unregulated most have plumbed the "rest rooms" with hot water only to boost the takings.

Regulate them now.
  • Mobeer
    Mobeer Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    Academoney Grad First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Duty free shops were selling water for £1 a bottle for charity - not sure if they still do.
  • zagfles wrote: »
    It must be a paste (possibly a very thick paste) otherwise why would the instructions state this:
    Apply to underarms or feet. Dries in about a minute. Do not apply to broken skin. Do not place on porous or unsealed surfaces such as marble or granite.
    If it was 100% rock, it wouldn't need any drying tme.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure