PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Help regarding indemnity policy. DO I NEED ONE?

Hi everyone :-)

I'm buying my first house and going through all the legal process with solicitors ect.

Now the sale has come to standstill as the seller doesn't want to pay for an indemnity policy that the solicitors say we must have in place before the sale can proceed.

Now it's regarding the side access that is between two house's. I use it to take my wheely bins out & so does the neighbour. But on my certificate which outlines what land I will own, this side access alley way isn't on that. Therefor I need an indemnity policy put in place incase any future owners next door decide they don't want me using it. I'm not aware at this point who owns the alley way but I assume it's the neighbour as their property is above it.

I'm asking, do I need a policy in such a case? Any imformation will be greatly appreciated

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,543
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You may have a right of way over the side access, so you wouldn't need an indemnity. However your solicitor should have found that in the relevant documents.

Do you know for definite that the side access belongs to the neighbour. You don't need an indemnity policy, but it may jeopardise your chances of a sale if you don't have one, especially if your buyer's mortgage provider is insisting on one.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    To be honest, for the small cost of a policy compared to what you're paying for the property, I'd rather be safe than sorry & go ahead with the policy.

I was in a similar situation when I bought my current home, something to do with chancel repair cover, which the vendors were not willing to pay for & rather than hold things up or lose out completely on purchasing the property, I chose to fork out myself for the cover.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    If you decide the policy is necessary, bear in mind it can be paid for by either you or the seller. Sometimes the seller pays in order to get the deal sorted, but really it'll be you who might get any benefit from it.
  • Have you thought about suggesting you pay 50% and they do the same?
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,194
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    What does this indemnity actually cover? If you buy it and then the neighbour, or someone they subsequently sell to, blocks the side access what happens?

If a right of access has been established surely that needs to be clarified now. If there is no legal right of access and it just depends on the goodwill of the neighbour I don't see what benefit an indemnity gives (apart from reassuring the mortgage company).
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,543
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    martindow wrote: »
    What does this indemnity actually cover? If you buy it and then the neighbour, or someone they subsequently sell to, blocks the side access what happens?

If a right of access has been established surely that needs to be clarified now. If there is no legal right of access and it just depends on the goodwill of the neighbour I don't see what benefit an indemnity gives (apart from reassuring the mortgage company).

I asked myself the same question before posting at #2.

Apparently an indemnity will provide compensation for any financial losses suffered in the event that the use of the right of way is challenged. This would include legal costs in defending the challenge and loss of value to the property in the event that the challenge is successful.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure