Clawingback Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    No she doesn't sign on. Neither of us were aware of that :eek:
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options

Ahhh....yes, get her to put that right urgently. Once she's back working again, you can get an online assessment of how far behind she is and you'll be able to make additional payments to get her up to date.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Options

Yep, you must claim NI credits otherwise it wont count towards the state pension down the road.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • StopIt
    Options
    Ahhh....yes, get her to put that right urgently. Once she's back working again, you can get an online assessment of how far behind she is and you'll be able to make additional payments to get her up to date.

You don't need to wait: https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record

May as well see what the score is now to give an idea on what can be done to mitigate any gaps.

Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    StopIt wrote: »
    You don't need to wait: https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record

May as well see what the score is now to give an idea on what can be done to mitigate any gaps.

They don't *need* to wait, but my feeling was that at the moment there is little prospect of being able to make up the shortfall, so better to worry about the more important stuff at this stage. I'm presuming that the OP's OH will be back in employment fairly soon if she is actively looking, and prepared to accept a "make ends meet" job until something she really wants comes along. :)
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    she/her
  • StopIt
    Options
    They don't *need* to wait, but my feeling was that at the moment there is little prospect of being able to make up the shortfall, so better to worry about the more important stuff at this stage. I'm presuming that the OP's OH will be back in employment fairly soon if she is actively looking, and prepared to accept a "make ends meet" job until something she really wants comes along. :)

Fair point, but it does only take 5 minutes to look!

I'm a little anal with these sorts of things (The joys of being a data analyst means it does rub off on pretty much everything) so I am a little too enthusiastic about these things.

• EssexHebridean
    Options
    LOL - yes, again, fair point! Sometimes it can overwhelm people to add "another" thing to worry about on top of an already stressful situation though. some people want to know everything, all at once - while others need to deal with things in a structured way - getting the urgent stuff dealt with and then moving on to the lower in importance items.
    she/her
  • Clawingback
    Options
    In this case were the latter. Dealing with the debts outlined in my previous post is our main concern for the foreseeable, once that's sorted we will definitely sort out the NI for her.
  • Clawingback
    Options
    I know everyone's situation is different but id like some input in what others recommend for my situation.

Try and arrange repayment plans with creditors myself or get onto a repayment plan with stepchange?
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    First step is to rework the SOA accurately, to reflect what is happening with your money right now. You can then adjust it to include things like emergency fund etc, but first you need to find out what is happening to the excess money that you currently don't have free at the end of the month - it's clearly going somewhere, you need to know where though.

Think about things like where cash in your wallet and her purse goes - you say nothing for entertainment but I bet there's the odd coffee, a Maccy's with the little one or them getting a comic or something when you're out.

Until you actually know accurately where your money is going, there's a limit to what you can do about arranging payment plans etc as you don't really know what you've got to play with. As for arranging yourself or going through stepchange - it's really a personal choice, but you do need a high level of commitment and self control to self administer so bear that in mind.
    she/her
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business