King size mattress, questions again, please help!

Comments

• Pinkypants
    Pinkypants Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You just can't leave it can you Tim.

Salus want people in shops to try the product. End of story.

King Coil are about to relaunch and do the same thing. No internet, your won't even be allowed to say on your site that you sell it.

Does this upset as your online only?
    Helping the country to sleep better....ZZZzzzzzzz
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Pinkypants wrote: »
    You just can't leave it can you Tim.

Salus want people in shops to try the product. End of story.

King Coil are about to relaunch and do the same thing. No internet, your won't even be allowed to say on your site that you sell it.

Does this upset as your online only?

It doesn't upset me at all, as I wouldn't sell Salus if I could. As for King Coil, they are the same company as Kaymed, who also make the memory foam used in about half of the decent quality memory foam mattresses on the market.

I just think that it is a stupid decision, and is backward thinking on their part. But at the end of the day, that's their problem, not mine.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    "No Turn" is not a benefit............it just means that the mattress has only 1 sleeping surface. ie "Cheaper" so you cant even out the wear by turning it over.!
  • Tim_Deegan
    roddydogs wrote: »
    "No Turn" is not a benefit............it just means that the mattress has only 1 sleeping surface. ie "Cheaper" so you cant even out the wear by turning it over.!

Absolutely
  • Pinkypants
    Pinkypants Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    roddydogs wrote: »

Just how often are you meant to turn a double sided mattress?
    Helping the country to sleep better....ZZZzzzzzzz
  • Tim_Deegan
    Pinkypants wrote: »
    Just how often are you meant to turn a double sided mattress?

Now you know the answer to that one don't you?
  • Hi all

Just like to say that I am looking for a mattress right now and there is no way I have time to run around several stores without first researching online, narrowing it down to a select few and then going and trying them out. I don't have time, nor would I waste the time that I do have, going in cold.

So if a company decides to refrain from any website information, they won't get my business. End of story.

This goes for all areas of purchase nowadays and I feel sure that I am in not an exception within my age group and customer segment. We expect to be able to find the technical specs, pictures, comments and prices online. Even the government have cottoned on to this with the row going on at the mo regarding hotel review sites.

IMHO Salus are missing the point (not to mention a lot of business). Just my 2p worth.
  • Orrin
    Orrin Posts: 448 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Huntsekker wrote: »
    This goes for all areas of purchase nowadays and I feel sure that I am in not an exception within my age group and customer segment. We expect to be able to find the technical specs, pictures, comments and prices online.

Absolutely. Unfortunately the bed industry are still living in the 1970s where it's okay to keep customers in the dark and the salesman always knows best.

Good luck with your research, but be prepared to come up against the following:
    • Identical mattresses rebadged for different retailers
    • Poor specification of quantity or quality of materials used
    • Different marketing terms for identical technologies or materials
    • Endless sales and promotional gimmicks
    • Stupidly inflated recommended retail prices

It's no wonder people just visit their local Dreams and bounce on a few mattresses until they find one they like. Or come on here for the received wisdom of the resident expert(s).
  • Tim_Deegan
    Orrin wrote: »
    Absolutely. Unfortunately the bed industry are still living in the 1970s where it's okay to keep customers in the dark and the salesman always knows best.

Actually it is often the case that the salesman (especially in the big stores) doesn't actually know that much about what they are selling. But because most consumers don't either, they manage to bluff their way through with hype and gimmicks
    Good luck with your research, but be prepared to come up against the following:
    • Identical mattresses rebadged for different retailers
    This is mainly with the big high street retailers. They are often a lower spec and not identical either.
    • Poor specification of quantity or quality of materials used
    True, although if they gave the whole spec, then this could also confuse, as most people would just think that higher numbers are better, when in fact this isn't true in many cases.
    • Different marketing terms for identical technologies or materials
    Yes that is one used all the time by the big brands. Perfect examples are the term 'Miracoil' used by Silentnight, and 'Posturetech' used by Sealy. Both of these are names used for the continuous spring system. And both Silentnight and Sealy are the same company.
    • Endless sales and promotional gimmicks
    Yes all the time in the big retailers. Most of them are actually fake sales and price promises.
    • Stupidly inflated recommended retail prices
    Yes, and this ties in with the 'endless sales and promotional gimmicks.
    It's no wonder people just visit their local Dreams and bounce on a few mattresses until they find one they like. Or come on here for the received wisdom of the resident expert(s).

The trouble is that Dreams are probably the worst for all of the above.
  • keld
    keld Posts: 140 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hi, we're looking to replace a kingsize Slumberland Amberseal 1100 series, which we've had for 12 years and desperately needs replacing, but I'm concerned about making a costly mistake. Our bed is a slatted frame, rather than a divan.

We have been looking at pocket sprung with memory foam, but I've heard that they get hot, and I suffer with stress related heat already. Would latex be better? We like a medium firm mattress.

My friend said that she thought that any mattress that was about £1,000 would be good. I don't mind the money, I just don't want to make a mistake.

Thanks.
    Mortgage [strike]£70,000[/strike] £1:j
    MF date [strike]31/08/2021[/strike] 6th February 2012:A

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills