Mortgage-Free Wannabe Welcome and Explanation

Options
MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 10 August 2011 at 3:18PM in Mortgage-free wannabe
Welcome to the new Mortgage Free Wannabe board. After watching the popularity of the Debt-Free Wannabe board which focuses on mutual support for people who want to get rid of their debts, I thought it would be fun to try the same with mortgages. It isn't about mortgages themselves, for that go to the mortgage board.

Why?

Paying off your mortgage is the best risk-free way to use your cash. Think of it like this:

If your mortgage is at 5% interest, by paying it off you get the effective return of 5% after tax. This means a basic rate tax payer would need to earn 6.25% and a higher rate taxpayer 8.33% before they were better off and there's no real way of doing that with a lot of money without taking a risk.

How far to go

I'm not a believer in forcing your finances. Start by doing a budget. Then go through your finances and see what spare cash you've got. This isn't about cutting back on everything, it's about running a niced balanced life with no waste to clear your mortgage.

In fact I'm very against forcing your finances - to see why read my past blog on it: Pay Off Your Mortgage In Two Years.

What to do to get started

I'm going to follow the pattern of debt-free wannabee as it works there. So why not start of by posting a statement of affairs (SOA) with all you financial details - though being careful to give no traceable info as this is a public forum. So detail your mortgage, incoming and outgoings, what you spend on. Then people can start talking about ways to improve your finances.

Also why not have a signature that shows people your progress. For example

Mortgage when started: £92,000
Current mortgage (date): £82,000
Mortgage free day: May 2013

So people can watch your progress and you can motivate yourself.

Good luck. I'm sure this board will develop its own way of working, can't wait to see it :)

Martin
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• gentlepurr
    gentlepurr Posts: 4,122 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    thanks martin!

i was going to go it alone in attempt to do this with my brand new mortgage, have already done some spreadsheets, and WOW! this is just the incentive and support i need! (why didn't i think to suggest it?!)

xx
    "It is not uncommon for slight acquaintances to get married, but a couple really have to know each other to get divorced." - Anonymous
    :)
  • chatter-box-charlie
    Options
    :j :j :j :j :j

So glad you've started this forum, as we're just about to start to pay off more on our mortgage monthly and as my mortgage deal runs out next Jan I've started to research all the mortgages available to help along the way..

I must say pay off your mortgage in 2yrs is quite extreme but to do it in 6 is quite achievable for us so your site gives me all the incentives I need.

Cheers
    :T
    I am a Travel Agent

I work for Thomas Cook Group of Companies. My companies ATOL/ABTA numbers are J9500. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Travel Agent, so you need to take my word for it but Atol numbers can be checked on the Civil Aviation Authority website. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Travel Agent Code of Conduct.
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Ive got a mortgage that will allow me to overpay as much as i like, and also withdraw any overpayment i make, if i need to, so now, instead of savings, any extra i have, is going to go straight into my mortgage, it is def the debt i would love to pay off. The mortgage i have is very good, a good rate and very flexible, but anyone else wanting to pay more in must check that their mortgage company allows it, apparently, some dont!!!!!
  • Thefunkygibbons
    Options
    Here is another thread that covered a lot of this ground, perhaps it can be moved over to this board

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=87149
  • wennywelshbabe
    Options
    I highly recommend paying off your mortgage at the first possible opportunity. My OH inherited some money when his father died last year and the first thing we did was pay off ours. I can't describe how amazing it is to not have to pay off the mortage any more - we save more, spend more and i have been able to reduce my hours at work to give myself time to try and get a music career that i've always wanted off the ground. It really changes your life. I know most people don't get the opportunity we did and it will require work and sacrifices from you guys, but keep at it - it's got to be worth it!!!
  • frugglewump
    Options
    Well our brand new mortgage starts in April - it's interest only for the 1st 3 years then switches to repayment. We've already decided to overpay slightly and more when the other debts vanish in 2008. We're only overpaying by £13.41 per month by upping the DD to a nice round figure, but it's a start :)
    Still wish I could buy a TARDIS instead of a house!
  • Frugal_Fox
    Frugal_Fox Posts: 1,002 Forumite
    Options
    Martin,

Many thanks. Currently a Debt Free Wannabe... however, had already decided that once debts are paid, full attention would be given to our mortgage, and I've already got a spreadsheet that shows me when we are totally free. Fab idea, and look forward to joining in more nearer my Debt Free Day when I can then focus on this more.

FF
    "A simple life freely chosen is a source of strength. Do not be pursuaded into buying what you do not need or cannot afford." Quaker Faith & Practice 1.02.41
  • kiwichick
    kiwichick Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm thrilled to have had this new forum launched. Until I joined the MSE family I never really looked at my mortgage as a debt, more like something that everyone had. I always assumed we'd have it for at least 25 years possibly longer. I did try to watch the tv programme "Pay off your mortgage in 2 years" but found it too OTT and the whole format came across as unachivable.

Having a forum like this is a far more realistic approach to the whole concept of aiming to be mortgage free. Lets face it, even saving a year off the typical 25 year mortgage is a saving of thousands, and every overpayment, regardless how big or small, is one more step to getting there.

We are moving in a few weeks and our mortgage is taking a leap of gargantuan proportions. Currently it is £96K and change over 21 years but will be going up to £118K over 30 years!!! At this rate I'll be 56 by the time its paid off. I will be following this board with both interest and hope, aiming to get as much info and support as possible from like minded people. I have already managed to make time for an evening job and will be trying to put the money to one side for overpayments.

Good luck to all of us trying to achive this, it really WILL be a life changer.

Allison.
    WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
    Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
  • maybird_2
    Options
    I'm giving this a lot of thought at the moment. Basically we are thinking about moving (because our 3rd bedroom is small and we can't have a dormer loft conversion or extend on the side of our house). We have about 13 years to go on our mortgage and could comfortably overpay by at least a couple of hundred a month. It's a real dilemma. Accept that our youngest (rising 8) will just have to make do, overpay each month and be mortgage free in 6-8 years but only ever have a 3bed semi. But lots of cash to pay kids through college, make great investments/savings and have nice holidays. Or go back into the full 25 years at loadsamoney repayments every month for a bigger and better house and say aurevoir to the comfortable breathing space we now have money-wise. We're both hitting 40 so it's certainly feasible to go for a big 25 year mortgage. Heart sinks a bit at the thought though, especially when the end could be in sight. If anyone has any opinions on this, I'd be very happy to have them.
    Waddle you do eh?
  • kiwichick
    kiwichick Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi MAYBIRD,

We are in a similar situation, or will be in a couple of years time. We are moving to a 3 bed semi and have 3 kids so 2 will share and 1 will take the box room. As they are still small I dont for see any problems but when they are older I can see problems arising about lack of space etc.

Personally, I would stay put. Kids are adaptable, I shared a small room with my sister and we've both come through it unscathed. I would rather my kids shared and maybe had a bit less space if it means I can afford to save to put them through uni. The cost of education is constantly rising and yet it SO important to be able to provide this foundation for our children.

Whatever you decide, good luck in it.
    Al.
    WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
    Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business