TMTI Cancellation? can it be done

Options

Comments

• Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I will take issue with one paragraph from CPW - or should I say mobiles.co.uk - documentation.

Under cancelling, their Help states

"Can Mobiles.co.uk not cancel the policy for me?

Please note we cannot cancel the policy for you as this conflicts with the Data Protection Act. Please contact TMTI directly for cancellation requests."

Can't see how they can sign you up for it not conflicting with the DPA, but can't cancel as it does !!

Don't like being obviously lied to. On the other hand - and i can think of one contributor who would agree - I would rather ensure that I did any cancellation rather than trusting the dealer to do it for me and lose his commission.
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    Not me perchance..? No, course not.... one beinnning with "S"....
  • Guys_Dad
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Of that "ilk" ! :beer:
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    Very good. I can't deny!
  • keith1950
    keith1950 Posts: 2,597 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi, I have had many mobile contracts over the years and the paperwork from the insurance and TMTI always says that you can write in BUT all that you actually need to do is cancel the direct debit before they take a payment.I must have just cancelled the DD's at least 20 times and never had a problem.
  • Silk
    Silk Posts: 4,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Guys_Dad wrote: »
    Of that "ilk" ! :beer:
    Very good. I can't deny!

Will you two pack it in ...it's starting to make me feel sick

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    It's not just about the money
  • Silk
    Silk Posts: 4,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 21 January 2011 at 11:27PM
    Options
    Guys_Dad wrote: »
    Please note we cannot cancel the policy for you as this conflicts with the Data Protection Act. Please contact TMTI directly for cancellation requests."
    It's funny how it's not a problem for signing you up to the policy but it is for removing you ...whats that all about then
    keith1950 wrote: »
    Hi, I have had many mobile contracts over the years and the paperwork from the insurance and TMTI always says that you can write in BUT all that you actually need to do is cancel the direct debit before they take a payment.I must have just cancelled the DD's at least 20 times and never had a problem.
    I think the problem is though Keith that theres lots of people who cancel the DD's and end up with black marks against their credit rating which causes them all sorts of problems for the next 6 years
    It's not just about the money
  • Guys_Dad
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Silk wrote: »
    It's funny how it's not a problem for signing you up to the policy but it is for removing you ...whats that all about then

It's mis-using the DPA and a load of rubbish. "Computer says No" attitude,
  • keith1950
    keith1950 Posts: 2,597 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi, as I said earlier, the actual terms given by the retailer and TMTI/Insurance state that all you need to do is cancel the direct debit. They are just hoping that a few people forget. Its just the same as the cashback by redemption offers, if everybody remembered to send them in they would soon stop being offered. These direct debits usually appear about one to two days after the purchase of the mobile contract, cancel as soon as they appear in your online banking, if you forget them you probably wont get the money refunded. It all works by the public's apathy, they cannot be bothered to do anything and then kick off later when its their own fault for not paying attention to detail.
  • alivi5
    Options
    Hi All,

I can't quite fathom how a company like eSave would carry out such practices as to auto apply customers to a dodgy gadget service when you buy a phone off them? Surely this has to be illegal!!? It's money by sleath. I did notice the TMTI service on my correspondence when I got my phone and thought it was under hand, but then, like TMTI wanted, I forgot about it until I saw the DD on my bank statement. I wonder if eSave gets a cut? Ok, I'm being uncharitable, but why else would they do it? I've cancelled it, and asked for a refund, but I won't get the whole amount.

Is this actually legal?

Amanda
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family