PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Comments

• saorsie
    saorsie Posts: 1,905 Forumite
    NannyJanny wrote: »
    Cuddles,

Dragon Yarns have a knit pro system. Looks like you can interchange etc. Have never tried circular myself in 50 years of knitting. I'm getting curious though. Used to work with someone who used them for most things. Wish I'd asked more questions now. Fewer seams to sew sounds blissful.

NJ
    Hi cuddles, think these are the ones that NannyJanny is referring to. I've got a set and they are fabulous, bit pricey though but I hope they're going to last forever! :o

-s-
    Frugal living challenge 2012 live on £8500 ~ £7725.87 remaining
    Make £5/day in 2012 ~ £482.24/£1830 ~ 22.52%
    Proud Member of PAD since January 2010 ~ Total paid to date £11386.64
    Savings Pot for 2012 ~ £772.60/£3000 ~ 23.38%
    Lose 19lbs / Save £2k by 30/04/12 *5/19lbs* £158.72/£2000
  • cuddles123
    cuddles123 Posts: 1,381 Forumite
    lynseydee wrote: »
    I don't know if you've managed to sort this out yet but if you've found a pattern that you like but which calls for Bernat yarn could you not still use the pattern but find a yarn which knits to the same tension?

Still working on lots of options!

Have 300g of Teddy Picasso DK I'd like to use if I can find the right pattern.

So many patterns are knit on circulars.
    :oJack of all trades ... Master of none :o
  • cuddles123
    Sorry to keep asking questions but....

I didn't realise that DPNs come in different lengths. Which should I buy?
  • NannyJanny
    NannyJanny Posts: 173 Forumite
    Cuddles,
    If people didn't keep asking questions, we wouldn't all ever get to chat!

I've only got as far as dpns for socks. Depends how many stitches you need to accommodate. Size 20 cm is big enough for socks i.e. 18-24 stitches on each needle in four ply. Suppose it's best to pick a medium size for your first pair. They seem to go from 20cm to about 40 cm. Beware, the metal pins usually come in sets of four, whereas the bamboo (love 'em or hate 'em - I love 'em) usually come in sets of five.

NJ
  • cuddles123
    Thanks Nanny Janny

I've never used DPNs so no idea if 4 or 5 are best. Suppose longer is better than shorter as you can just slide the stitches along and I'll be less likely to drop any off the end :o

So if I have 4 needles, I just divide my stitches by 4 and knit onto each DPN? This is all so new to me ;)
  • saorsie
    saorsie Posts: 1,905 Forumite
    cuddles123 wrote: »
    Thanks Nanny Janny

I've never used DPNs so no idea if 4 or 5 are best. Suppose longer is better than shorter as you can just slide the stitches along and I'll be less likely to drop any off the end :o

So if I have 4 needles, I just divide my stitches by 4 and knit onto each DPN? This is all so new to me ;)

Hi cuddles ~ in my experience you only really need to use the 5th needle if you have lots of stitches. Also I would be tempted to go for a mid length depending again on how many stitches, as the longer they are the more cumbersome I find them to work with ~ I can go quicker with shorter! :D

When you cast on, divide the number of stitches by 3 (or 4 if your using 5 needles :o) as you use your 4th (or 5th :o:o) to knit with.

Good luck!

-s-
    Frugal living challenge 2012 live on £8500 ~ £7725.87 remaining
    Make £5/day in 2012 ~ £482.24/£1830 ~ 22.52%
    Proud Member of PAD since January 2010 ~ Total paid to date £11386.64
    Savings Pot for 2012 ~ £772.60/£3000 ~ 23.38%
    Lose 19lbs / Save £2k by 30/04/12 *5/19lbs* £158.72/£2000
  • cuddles123
    Thanks saorsie.

I have 78 stitches for my grandsons hat so will need 26 on each needle. The yarn is DK, so I'm unsure about 20cm needles or longer?
  • NannyJanny
    NannyJanny Posts: 173 Forumite
    Yes I agree , I prefer 5 pins. The four with stitches form a nice square shape, easier to fit my large fingers inbetween. Stitches don't slide so much on bamboo either, although I knit so tight it's unlikely they'll fall off anyway
    NJ
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,571 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    This photo doesn't come out too well on screen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12652622

but in my paper it looks very much like a hand-knitted cardigan. I think the magenta colour looks lovely with the traditional white too. Oh I wish I had a baby (someone else's:eek:) to knit for.
  • cuddles123
    Well I have been reading up about DPNs.
    Can't find anyone who has the right size so that I can borrow a pair, so need to buy some.

Have totally confused myself looking at all the ones available. If I have a max of 30 stitches per needle, what is the best length to go for. I'm also paranoid about stitches sliding off, so is metal or wood best? 4 or 5 needles? I can't make a decision :o
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure