PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help! My home is freezing cold

I’m in need of some OS help this evening!

Situation: it’s a mild 9°C outside, my heating has been on all day and jacked up to 25° as soon as darkness fell. The house - and large-ish living room in particular - feels absolutely freezing.

Current remedy: new electric fire dragged in from my library on full blast and has only really started to make a difference now I’ve slung a faux-fur throw over my shivering form.

The future: I’ll be investing in rugs and sorting out the draughts. I have no wish to take up the beautiful flooring on the near future, so underfloor heating is not an option.

The challenge: what I would like is a recommendation on a modern electric fire that is effective in a space of roughly 200 sq ft (the JML handy heater would be a non-starter here) that is also economical to run. Is there any such thing? Whilst I’m happy to pay an initial outlet for the right product, I’m sceptical of claims that fires cost “a few pence per hour” to run, is this true? Something that costs 99p per hour to run is to me not cost-effective.

It goes without saying that any proposed solution must be stylish ;)
Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!

Comments

• C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Do you have a fireplace with working chimney??
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    C_J wrote: »
    Do you have a fireplace with working chimney??
    No, the chimney was blocked donkeys years ago.

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If it could be unblocked, installing a wood burner would be a really good option. It would make your whole house cosy!

I can’t help but worry that any electric heater is going to be hugely expensive to run.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You have just moved in haven't you? Was the house left empty long?

When I moved into this house it took about a week before we felt comfortably warm after being empty for a week in the midst of winter

Even now with the size of the rooms we supplement the CH with multifuel stoves. I lit my stove there about 4pm and I'm sitting here in a t shirt toasting at 24oC. However it's not a cheap option either

Electric heating is as expensive as your supplier. A KW is a KW. If you search out Cardew in the Energy forum he can explain electric heating choices very well
  • beautiful_ravens
    beautiful_ravens Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 January 2018 at 10:39PM
    I favour a fan heater over any other type for getting warm air moving around a cold room, especially at floor level.

I have a couple that I use if the house/a room is properly cold, I run it while I wait for the heating or the fire to get going, or if we are only using that room for a little while.

I sometimes run one for 15 minutes if the kids bedroom is cold at bedtime.

Ive tried all sorts of heaters over the years and found that this is best for instant warming.

Even the cheapo ones I get have a thermostat so they go on and off when reaching temperatures, not constantly on.

Ive used them with timer plugs to warm up a room before I get up etc.

And, you can aim it right at you and get a good blast of warmth, unlike oil filled/convector heaters where the heat goes straight up and you cant get warm next to it.

Im pretty sure theres some tasteful and nice looking dyson fan heaters if you want style :)

ETA - no heaters are cheap to run!
    ''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood
  • happy35
    happy35 Posts: 1,616 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    We have a Provence CALOr gas fire in the conservatory, looks like stove, costs pennies to run and gives out loadsof heat.
    I find this to be so much better in a bigger space than an electric heater.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    VFM4 wrap yourself in a stylish blanket for now, then look into how old your windows are, how are the thermal values?

Then have a look at the Heating system, when was it last ‘flushed’, has it been bled etc

Do you need to replace single rads with doubles in the larger spaces blah blah blah...

Once you have got to grips with your new space, furnishings in the correct place etc you will get to know your new space and ‘know’ what to do x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    suki1964 wrote: »
    You have just moved in haven't you? Was the house left empty long?
    You’re right, but I’ve been in and out this past fortnight and maintained the heating and it’s felt fine during the day, but it’s the first time I’ve been here at night. I think it’s probably a good idea to get the radiations tested with a view to repacing, bit given they are all warm and not piping hot, I’m wondering whether the problem is actually me? If I’m struggling now, I’m going to find it hard-going when the temperature drops.

I like the look of Provence CalorGas in Honey Glow, but am a bit nervous of having a huge bottle of gas sitting in the house :o

So now I’m doing the wussy thing (ie have put some thermals on under my clothes) and will be retiring to a bedroom with the tablet and an extension lead.

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    If the rads are only warm to touch, perhaps your boiler thermostat is wrong?

Are your rads evenly heated? No cold spots?

A few questions on the energy forum should get you on the right track

As for the gas bottle , if you place the heater on an outside wall, the gas bottle stays outside in a cage keeping it secure. Mains gas isn't an option for many parts of this country outside main cities and towns so bottled gas is what we use for Hobbs, ovens and gas fires
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Have you bled the rads? Draughty Windows? A while ago on another thread someone mentioned Canadian window quilts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure