Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• Switched from British Gas to a cheaper tariff through the Cheap Energy Club. Just found out that they have taken £85 from my account 10 days before they are due to supply me. Apparently this policy is available on their website when you sign up, but it wasn't clear enough, as I never would have switched to them if I'd known that they were going to be creaming interest from my money before they'd even done anything.

Profiteering rip-off merchants.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    See your identical post .
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Been with them since April, can't say much about them, but had no issues.
    Yes, they set up and take a direct debit payment earlier than other suppliers, but its no different to a phone company who do the same thing. And yes they send out meter reading reminders, had one a couple of days ago.
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ninjabel, If you have switched in November then by the end of March it could be you that owes them quite a bit for winter use.
    Unlike me who switched in April and have built up a few hundreds to cover the winter month.
  • griffb
    griffb Posts: 168 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I switched on 6th November. It has gone very smoothly, the outgoing supplier even got the final bill out within 2 weeks, and it was correct! As an annual switcher I'm now running to stay still in terms of annual costs; the only way this time round was to go with a small supplier. Obviously the GBenergy collapse has cast a a bit of a cloud. If another one goes down I may have to consider jumping ship back to a "Big 6" supplier
  • rigsbyx
    rigsbyx Posts: 16 Forumite
    I signed up with Avro on 11/11/2016 and received a welcome pack saying that they will take over on 11/12/2016.

I just received a letter from my current supplier (SSE) telling me that Avro will not be taking over.

I contacted Avro on Twitter, and I was told that it's because I had cancelled the direct debits with them. I had not cancelled my DDs. In fact, Avro was never listed with my bank so how could I? The only thing I can think of is that I had already cancelled my DDs with SSE, but I doubt that would have anything to do with it, or shouldn't.

I am put off trying to start again in case it happens all over again. I have excellent credit and know that is not an issue.

Anyone else with the same experience?

Cheers :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    rigsbyx wrote: »
    I signed up with Avro on 11/11/2016 and received a welcome pack saying that they will take over on 11/12/2016.

I just received a letter from my current supplier (SSE) telling me that Avro will not be taking over.

I contacted Avro on Twitter, and I was told that it's because I had cancelled the direct debits with them. I had not cancelled my DDs. In fact, Avro was never listed with my bank so how could I? The only thing I can think of is that I had already cancelled my DDs with SSE, but I doubt that would have anything to do with it, or shouldn't.

I am put off trying to start again in case it happens all over again. I have excellent credit and know that is not an issue.

Anyone else with the same experience?

Cheers :)

It sounds like your present supplier has blocked the switch. How much do you owe? It isn't sensible to cancel your DD before a switch goes through.
  • 2. They set the monthly payments very high compared to annual usage with the promise that they will reduce them when they have built up a picture of your usage.... They don't.

They do ....

Just in mid switch ( but past 14 days) , and they have set my DD at £140, my bill with current supplier was only £95 / month for whole year, plus got a closing refund of £150 - so I already have a good picture of my usage

Called AVRO, the finance dept refused to change, said call back in 3 months ....
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    They do ....

Just in mid switch ( but past 14 days) , and they have set my DD at £140, my bill with current supplier was only £95 / month for whole year, plus got a closing refund of £150 - so I already have a good picture of my usage

Called AVRO, the finance dept refused to change, said call back in 3 months ....

My guess is that the supplier is making sure that, with a Winter switch, you will not be building up a high level of debt. There is nothing to stop them doing this as Ofgem requires suppliers to manage customer debt. With some small suppliers, the days of annual cost / 12 is pretty meaningless. Presumably by telling you to ring back in 3 months, the supplier will reassess your annual usage and lower your DD monthly payment.

My own view is that they should make this policy clear in their ts and cs. Sadly, not all do.
  • Mr_K
    Mr_K Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    They do ....

You are in control of your DD, not AVRO. If you're not happy switch again immediately, as they have no exit charge, to a company that will set a more reasonable level.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback