Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Comments

• mcmullank
    mcmullank Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    tp023 wrote: »
    In April I negotiated 30ppl. This will take it to 33ppl. Can they do this in the first year? I thought they could only increase in the 2nd year?

Yes, if the contract allows it. I expect we will see many more cases like this posted on here over the next month or so. Probably including people who thought they were signing a deal for xx in year 1, limited to a yppl increase in year 2. I did raise the flag on this previously but found it impossible to get anyone to provide me with a copy of one of these contracts.

Bottom line is that you need to gather the contract and any related documentation, read it and see if Calor stated that they would only raise prices in the second year.
  • Juliandicks
    Juliandicks Posts: 13 Forumite
    edited 7 October 2016 at 4:08PM
    Woldlink contract Price for there 6 monthly fix is 27.85ppl down slightly from previous fix (27.95) but they indicated that there had been an upturn in pricing in the last couple of months.

The below is the standard email they send out potential new customers.

Standard contract length for domestic customers is 2 years and for commercial customers 5 years.

New domestic customers will receive a £250.00 worth of free gas that will be credited to their account on completion of change over.

The price of bulk LPG is based on a 6 monthly fixed price that will be reviewed and re fixed for the
    1st October and 1st April each year. If you join part way through the six month period you will be fixed to the end of that period, not for six months from the date you join.

Current fixed price is 27.85 pence per litre until to the 31st of March 2017.

The reason we re fix on a 6 monthly basis is that in conjunction and under discussion with our
    Supplier we can always offer our customers the best price we have available.

There is the argument that by capping potential increases in the second year to no more than 4 ppl
    that the customer is achieving a level of security in the price they pay. In some respects this is correct
    but as a customer the reality is that you are agreeing to a guaranteed increase in the second year with
    no chance of holding or reducing the price you pay.

This situation has been experienced by many customers coming out of contract with other suppliers,
    who having been paying well over the odds over the past few years.

Woldlink cannot guarantee you that prices will not rise but what we can promise is that we will always
    offer you our best prices and that you will always benefit from any price reductions or if the market remains static.

Customers will be made aware of any potential price movement well in advance of any changes allowing to you
    to top up or hold off dependent on which way the market moves.

Standard procedure is that as the customer you decide when to place your order and at a time that suits you.
    Payment is taken at point of order by debit or credit card and any under delivery of LPG is refunded back to you on
    completion of order.

Woldlink are looking to establish long term relationships with all of our customers and the only way we will achieve
    this is working on your behalf to obtain the absolute best prices we can.

Standard Tank Rental on an above ground tank is £65.00 per year. Below ground £75.00
  • bobmac62
    bobmac62 Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Price from Woldlink for LPG in October advised as 23.45ppl +5% VAT. An increase of 1.39ppl on the September price, less than the recent increases from other LPG suppliers.
  • AncientEngineer
    AncientEngineer Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 10 October 2016 at 6:50PM
    Woldlink seems too good to be true. What's the catch? Am I missing something?
  • Woldlink seems too good to be true. What's the catch? Am I missing something?

In the 18 months I've been with them, there's no catch. If you're not with them, what you're missing is good prices and excellent customer service. :T
  • thozza
    thozza Posts: 304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Woldlink seems too good to be true. What's the catch? Am I missing something?

Woldlink are a subsidiary of Woldmarsh Producers Ltd, an agricultural purchasing co-operatives based in the Lincolnshire. LPG is actually supplied and delivered by Flogas, but all contact is with the Woldlink office, who I have found to be very efficient, helpful and straightforward.

The price Bobmac is quoting is for a now closed scheme, customers (as I am) on this price are very lucky as it is undoubtedly the lowest rate on offer to normal domestic customers, as it was negotiated on the back of bulk agricultural sales to farmers purchasing significant quantities of LPG.

New customer prices are slightly higher, as outlined in Juliandicks post #2723.

Payment is up front by debit card, any over-payment is re-credited back to the customers account after delivery is made by Flogas, so you need to have a reasonable idea of how much gas is required.

As far as I am concerned there is no catch.
  • AncientEngineer
    AncientEngineer Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 16 October 2016 at 2:50PM
    Thank you for your replies. I've taken the leap and signed up to Woldlink. I self-own my tank, so there is nothing to lose by giving them a go. I plan to take my next fill from them and will share my experience with the forum when complete. I guess I can always return to my previous supplier if there are any problems.

I'm really grateful to this forum for raising awareness of the various LPG options, and especially to Ozzysmate and thozza for their advice.
  • LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 October 2016 at 4:11PM
    ...... I self-own my tank...................... I guess I can always return to my previous supplier if there are any problems...........

Can you post a run-down of your experience of owning your own tank, please? e.g. where, how long, cost of tests, how many potential suppliers and getting suppliers to quote - and any problems.

Time back one of the independents was encouraging people to own their own tanks - but recently I talked to their (newish) engineer who said it wasn't worth it, in his opinion, with present-day low prices.

Two suppliers - Cardiff Gas and Extra Fuel - offer discounts on their websites for tank owners.

Three years back 'molokoid' posted his long-term experiences (see here) but otherwise only three or so have said they own their own tanks. More recently 'Ruby Rose' bought her tank off Flogas via Cardiff Gas (see here and here).
  • LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 October 2016 at 10:18PM
    The majors (Calor, Flogas and Avantigas with just under 90% of the 'market') and most of the independents - from the largest (Countrywide) to the smallest - do NOT post prices on-line. But a few independents do:

29 .... Birmingham Autogas
    30.3.. Lister ANSI Tracker
    35..... Cardiff Gas
    37..... Carvers
    39.73..Extra Fuel

..and two other trackers:
    22.05.. Woldlink
    28....... Lima Gas (Lima is now owned by J Gas, based in Scotland, which does not have a tracker).

.....blah blah blah

That was posted September 12, and one month later Birmingham Autogas still 29, Lister ANSI Tracker still 30.30, Cardiff Gas still 35 but Carver now up, to 39.2, and Extra Fuel also up, to 41.14.

And thanks to bobmac62 (here) we know Woldlink's October tracker price is up 1.39, to 23.45, and thanks to Juliandicks (here) we know that Woldlink's six-month fix is down 0.10, to 27.85.

LPG is priced in US $: the conversion rate for £1 was $1.45 on the night of the referendum (it was running $1.30-1.35 for several months before that) but last weekend it was down to $1.22, so expect price rises. The majors forward buy - so they should be able to keep prices down for some time, and Calor has vast underground storage spaces in the NE.

A couple of weeks back the NW Europe price for propane was $319.0/pmt - if anyone wants to do the maths! (ref here). OK - just done the calculations, using 1960l/tonne and £1 = $1.2235 (early October) so wholesale price of propane in early October was ~13.3ppl (LPG is mostly propane). So price not much different to that in HateLPG's March chart (see here).
  • ... and Calor has vast underground storage spaces in the NE.

Here's more info if you are interested:

http://www.phillips66.co.uk/en/fuels/lpg/pages/caverns.aspx

If Calor is your supplier it might be useful info when some Calor person tells you they need to hike your price!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback