HELP - Compass Debt Counsellors - CREDITORS MEETING 30th March in Leicester

Comments

• pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    not directed at the OP: just thinking it's so nice to see these leeching fee guzzling DMP companies going under. Nearly as good as when chinless wonders at Lehman Brothers walked out with cardboard boxes of their desk belongings; happy days!

The trouble is the OP may find that the payments they have been making haven't been going to creditors , as has happened when other DMP have gone under.So it's not really days
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • meg123..
    meg123.. Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Hi Fermi

I have all the paper work from Abbey Solicitors, that i had signed up for before Compass went under, not sure if i should stay with them
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    meg123.. wrote: »
    Hi Fermi

I have all the paper work from Abbey Solicitors, that i had signed up for before Compass went under, not sure if i should stay with them

I would get into this forum to see what they say.

----> http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/forum.php

They are actively looking into this side of things as far as I'm aware, so are likely to more help on this issue than me.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • esmerellda
    esmerellda Posts: 2,237 Forumite
    What service are Abbey Solicitors actually offering you ?
    LegalBeagles
  • meg123..
    First Anniversary
    does anybody no if staying with Abbey is a good idea ??? i am no good with legal documents
  • meg123..
    First Anniversary
    they will clear most of your debts in 12mths for a fee
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Meg: Have seen some of the agreements for services from Abbey, but it's somewhat vague in details.

It's very unlikely that the service is worth paying for, and may actually end up causing you much more trouble in the long run.

I suggested you get on to the legalbeagles site so you can talk to people who have already been looking into this, compare what you have been told, and hopefully find a better way forward.

If you can do that I think that would help everyone. I'll make sure any info useful for people here is reported back.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • esmerellda
    esmerellda Posts: 2,237 Forumite
    edited 14 March 2016 at 7:48PM
    Okay. No you shouldn't stay with them ( in my personal opinion) Apologies I just wanted to find out what they were putting across they were offering.

It appears that they are offering to look at a consumers debts and advise the consumer whether they have any potential arguments that the debts are unenforceable using the Consumer Credit Act and Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations.

The letter/agreement doesn't state what Abbey Solicitors intend to do if they find there are any arguments, or what will happen if they don't. It doesn't actually tell their potential client what they will be doing at all. BUT they are quite clear that the individual needs to pay them the same amount they were paying to Compass Debt Counsellors to Abbey ( approx £100 to £500 per month - the individuals entire calculated disposable income) regardless of if they find any arguments.

Payments won't be made to the individuals creditors, nor will it be put in a 'savings pot' to save for future full and final settlements. It appears they are expecting consumers to stop paying their debts entirely and give all of their disposable income to Abbey Solicitors instead, for a year.

They do state quite clearly that they will not assist with Defending any court claims that result from the individual having stopped paying his debts - presumably assuming if a court claim is made, that the consumer will instruct Abbey Solicitors to act on their behalf, for further fee's or on a CFA basis.

They seem to be calling customers of Compass saying they will get their debts written off - that is not what the letter says. The letter says they will look at agreements and advise you if you have any arguments to use against the creditors.

I'd suggest get your DMP sorted with Stepchange / Paypal or self manage it with help from CAB - and if you want to argue against any of the debts get a CCA request sent off ( request copy of the original agreement and terms ) with one of the template letters on here or on LB ( just as I don't know where it is on here) and assess things yourself (with the help from the great peeps on here / LB )

That is just based on the letters I have seen. If you feel yours does say different can you let us know.
    LegalBeagles
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    meg123.. wrote: »
    they will clear most of your debts in 12mths for a fee

This is completely untrue, there are no quick debt fixes such as you describe, only the solutions laid down in statute by parliament.

Please do not add to your troubles by entertaining these shysters !!!!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • meg123..
    First Anniversary
    Hi

What they say is because you are with a solicitors your debt companies can't get in touch with me, they will be breaking the law.
    Because all my debts are not with the original companies and are now with agencies they ask them for my agreement and if they don't have it then they can;t chase me for money ???
    Just unsure of everything to leave them or stay, i lost £6500.00 with Compass and paid the £5.000 for set up in total £11500.00 down the pan.
    do i pay the £3000.00 and see if they can help, feel so stressed back to sq one
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure