IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Ticket Appeals guide discussion

Options

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I am from the Brighton area - which bays and which car park? Which private parking co.?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • GuruJon
    GuruJon Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I received a Parking Charge Notice from a PPC. I had parked at a supermarket car park. I received the notice that was sent a month and a week later. It had a picture of the car and plates.

I had borrowed the car from a friend whilst moving home. When he received the clam, I asked that it be put in my name.

Following the advice of MSE, I chose the militant approach. Selected the appropriate options and wrote to them. Effectively I said that I was providing mitigation and that the fee was disproportionate. I also said that I would not get into any correspondence with them unless they address the specific points.

The mitigation I provided said that I had parked in that car park several years ago. I didn't pay any fees then and it had been a while since I had used it. When I did use it, I did not notice anything different. I accepted that things may have changed and that it was an honest mistake and that it wouldn't happen again. I also said it was my first offence.

Today I received a letter from them asking for more evidence. They say that in my correspondence I stated that I was shopping at the supermarket and they wanted me to prove it. I did not say I was shopping at the supermarket, firstly and secondly, I wasn't shopping at the supermarket. I was shopping elsewhere. Even if I was shopping at the supermarket, I wouldn't have kept the receipt and it wouldn't be traceable if I had paid by cash.

What should my next step be? Should I ignore them? Should I reply pointing out that they are not reading my first letter correctly? Or perhaps a 3rd option that I'm not thinking of?

Please help
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    GuruJon wrote: »
    What should my next step be?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=163
    GuruJon wrote: »
    Should I ignore them?

No. That has not been the recommended advice here for a long time now.
  • Emmiemoo
    Options
    Hi,

I received a fine from my local council. I pay for a parking permit for on street parking however permits are not required on Sundays so the spaces are free to everyone. There are 2 churches within 300m of my house so Sunday mornings the spaces are filled with church-goers.
    Sunday just passed, I went and did my weekly food shop with my husband (on crutches with broken leg) and 4-month-old daughter. I return to my house to find all spaces within 300-400m filled with cars. In fact, after 2 laps round the block, the nearest space was 3 streets away up a steep hill. So to unload my husband on crutches, baby in car seat and weekly food shopping, I parked on a double yellow, anticipating being less than a few minutes to simply put them all inside and then move the car to wherever. That was the plan until my daughter kicked off screaming the place down. As you can imagine my husband on crutches is not in a position to comfort the baby, make her a bottle etc, so that is down to me as well as driving and carrying in the shopping.
    So after 8-9 minutes I knew I had to move the car, but low-and-behold I got a ticket.

I have informally appealed twice both of which declined. I was hoping to appeal to a human stating my current difficult circumstances and I even asked a question directly asking which would you do first: 1. comfort your distraught baby, 2. put away your food shopping so it doesn't spoil or 3. make your husband walk the 300m when he is clearly in pain? To which I didn't get an answer.

I know stopping on double yellows is valid for loading and unloading but the traffic warden didn't see me doing this is in a 5 minute period of the 9 minutes mentioned earlier.

Advice would be appreciated on how to move forward.

Contravention states:parked in a restricted street during restricted hours.

Thanks in advance.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Emmiemoo wrote: »
    Advice would be appreciated on how to move forward.

Start your own thread please - This one is for discussing the appeals guide, not individual cases.
  • LawrenceJE
    Options
    Advice required
    A few months back my friend travelled to Leeds and could not get into the car park he normally used but found an empty bay in the road alongside. He observed that the nearby sign read "Pay at machine" with a small arrow pointing up the road.
    The machine in the car park was close by so, believing that this was the machine in question, my friend bought a ticket there and displayed this in the car.
    Upon returning to the vehicle he was surprised to see a pcn on the screen and asked a nearby warden why this was issued. The warden in question said he had not issued the ticketing and said he would not have issued it under the circumstances. He explained that my friend should have bought the ticket from the machine further down the road but that because the arrangements in place are confusing he would not have issued the Pcn.
    I wrote to Leeds on behalf of my friend explaining all this but they rejected this appeal.

My friend has since been away on business for a month or so and now discovers a letter from collection agents asking for the fine plus costs!
    What should he do? Is it to late to appeal further!
  • Hot_Bring
    Hot_Bring Posts: 1,596 Forumite
    Options
    As pointed out in the post before yours - please start your own thread rather than get your question buried in a long thread of no relevance to your issue.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." - Dante Alighieri
  • Scalla
    Scalla Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Hello there, please can give me some advice on parking permits as my local council are very unhelpful and clearly reading from a script. I live in the Merton borough of London, I own and have paid for an annual permit costing £160. I only use my car twice a week so when I returned to my car which is parked about 300 metres away from my flat on another road, I had 3 parking tickets, totalling £330. We have a permit, the council knows this as we pay the same council, yet they still say we are in contravention. The parking permit had fallen off the windscreen so I can understand the parking tickets. What I can't understand is why they are persuing this when they know we have a permit. I haven't done anything wrong yet I am being punished with a hideous fine.

I've made an informal appeal, twice to all 3 tickets however both times I've received a standard rejection email. I've spoken on the phone but I get a scripted answer.

I can pay the discounted fee of £55 per ticket, which has to be paid tomorrow. Or I appeal on the notice to owner with a formal appeal. If I'm unsuccessful the tickets double meaning £330 rather than £165. I just can't afford either, plus I need to renew my permit in February which is another £160.

Is it worth me appealing, I am worried about the £330 fine that I just dont have access to.
    Any advice?
    Thank you,
  • Hot_Bring
    Hot_Bring Posts: 1,596 Forumite
    Options
    Sigh .... read the post above yours ..... and the one two above that.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." - Dante Alighieri
  • Computersaysno
    Options
    Start your own thread please - This one is for discussing the appeals guide, not individual cases.

user_offline.gif Start your own thread please - This one is for discussing the appeals guide, not individual cases.

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport