PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tenancy agreement template

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    bungle4x4 wrote: »
    why not though. this is a money saving forum....

Clutton has already given plenty away for free, the benefit of her experience. There is a fine line between saving money and false economy. :rolleyes:
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • alx_1
    alx_1 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Ok, so just followed the good advice. Property important to have proper paperwork in order to protect etc. However having just paid my fiver for the tenancy agreement from RLA i looked to find no mention of tenants moving other halfs in. I only mention this as my previous tenants moved their girlfriends in but were not charging them rent so technically not sub-lettting (my legal knowledge may be suspect here). Therefore there were 4 not 2 people living in my property and two were not covered by lease. Not sure where i stood but talked it over and they agreed to pay a little extra until they all moved out... Point being my free tenancy agreement specified not allowing extra's to stay so i had the upper ground in discussions. What is the classification of sub-letting?
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    rla john - the quote from your website puzzles me.... if i sign an agreeement wiht a new tenant, rent is due immmediately - as all rent is payable in advance - that is enshrined in law and is well documented.... nla have recently got a ruling which stopped local authorities from claiming that rent was not due in advance.....

as long as a LL gives two receipts, or mentions two separate amounts in the AST - specifying that one amount is £x rent in advance and one amount £x is a deposit to be held against any breaches of tenancy, including rent arrears, then i really canont see what the issue is.....
  • clutton_2
    alx_P1 - for goodness sake join national landloreds association and talk to their free legal helpline.... (joining fee is tax deductible)

you obviously know next to nothing, you have had tenants before and yet you are still acting like a rank amateur....
  • alx_1
    Ok Clutts,

steady on, just asked for advice not abuse. Can you clarify the law on sub-letting?

Cheers

Alx
  • N79
    N79 Posts: 2,615 Forumite
    Alx I second Clutton.

1. There is no law on subletting - it is permitted or refused at a contractual level.

2. I don't understand why you think you had a problem before? Why do you want a tenancy agreement that forbids Ts from living with their partners - all that will do is antagonize Ts and give you a high turnover and quite frankly is grossly unfair?

3. However, if you raised the rent during the fixed term or without the appropriate S13 notice then you owe your previous Ts the extra money back.
  • alx_1
    edited 8 January 2010 at 12:26AM
    OK info as well as mild abuse... all appreciated. surely you have a right to know who is living in your property. i know when i used to rent through letting agencies they charged a fortune to change names on a lease and you had to have everyone living their on the lease.

All this is leading me to recognise the usefullness of a membership to a LL agency which i will duely sort out.

Finally though, the lease I had before stated they had to tell me in advance if other people moved in and i wasn't allowed to deny it. Fine if they tell you whats going on in advance. It was the fact that i went to collect some unwanted furniture after 3 months of letting and their were boxes blocking the hallway and their were four people living there not two in a two bed flat. Didn't upset tenants just went for a pint to discuss situation and came to an amicable solution.

Oh and actually just read agreement properly and it states in A4 that "let the property to you and only you will be allowed to live their". Knew there was something stopping you move whoever you want in. Maybe I don't need any membership, then again...
  • clutton_2
    ""Finally though, the lease I had before stated they had to tell me in advance if other people moved in and i wasn't allowed to deny it.""

just proves our points... what a crapy ridiculous clause......... join NLA and leave us alone......
  • N79
    N79 Posts: 2,615 Forumite
    alx_1 wrote: »
    OK info as well as mild abuse...

I can't see any abuse (mild or otherwise) in my post.
    surely you have a right to know who is living in your property. i know when i used to rent through letting agencies they charged a fortune to change names on a lease and you had to have everyone living their on the lease.

You have a right to know who your Ts are but that is nothing you can do to stop them having unpaying guests. It is their home and they have a right to use it as a hom
    All this is leading me to recognise the usefullness of a membership to a LL agency which i will duely sort out.

Good - I recommend the NLA but the RLA or a local affiliate would do.
    Finally though, the lease I had before stated they had to tell me in advance if other people moved in and i wasn't allowed to deny it.
    There is no way you could possibly enforce this clause.
    Oh and actually just read agreement properly and it states in A4 that "let the property to you and only you will be allowed to live their". Knew there was something stopping you move whoever you want in. Maybe I don't need any membership, then again...
    So let me get this straight - you rented out your property, almost certainly the most valuable asset you own - without even reading the tenancy agreement that you used! Are you mad? (Ok that's mild abuse but is certainly justified if it makes you pay attention). Please seek help before your LL ambitions turn into a car crash. You have been lucky so far to not find a professional T.
  • alx_1
    edited 8 January 2010 at 12:12PM
    No abuse from you just agreeing with abuse from the clutton,

All very useful information. NLA or RLA here i come.

However it was the fact that i had read the first free agreement and seen a clause about others moving in and couldn't find it in the agreement i had just purchased... until reading it in more detail before getting the tenants to sign it. Not quite as hopeless as you believe but non the less new to the landlord experience.

Anyway thought these sights were all about gaining information and advice you didn't have??

Off to see if the gas certificate is still valid...

Just kidding that ran out 2 months ago!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport