Halifax - depositing cheques

Hi

I haven't deposited cheques for quite some time now. What is the best way for me to do this?

Can I give my sort code / account number to a family member to deposit over the counter in-branch or would I have to visit a branch with my card to deposit via a machine?

I've a couple of dividend cheques from Apr and Sep 2015 which I've not yet presented - they're small amounts so I'm not fussed, but I notice it says replacement or unpresented cheques may incur a fee - surely the latter can't be true?

Comments

• gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    No_Name wrote: »
    Hi
    Can I give my sort code / account number to a family member to deposit over the counter in-branch

Yes.
    I've a couple of dividend cheques from Apr and Sep 2015 which I've not yet presented - they're small amounts so I'm not fussed, but I notice it says replacement or unpresented cheques may incur a fee - surely the latter can't be true?

A bank may refuse to accept a cheque if it was issued more than 6 months before.

If you're not good at payiong in cheques, perhaps have a look at the option of paying dividends directly into your bank account.
  • No_Name
    No_Name Posts: 137 Forumite
    Thanks - that's what I plan to do, but sometimes the value of these cheques are not worth the effort!

What happened to these Halifax shares windfall?

In hindsight, I should have cashed these in and just stuck it in a savings account or even took a punt on some other shares!
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 April 2017 at 2:23PM
    Hi

I haven't deposited cheques for quite some time now. What is the best way for me to do this?

Can I give my sort code / account number to a family member to deposit over the counter in-branch or would I have to visit a branch with my card to deposit via a machine?

You can write your sort code and account number on the back of the cheques then someone can pay them in either via the paying in machine or the counter.

I notice you said your cheques were from 2015, they will expire within 6 months unless specifically mentioned on dividend cheques they are normally 12 months. Normally it says the timescale on the left hand side of the cheque, and what to do if you want it reissued, and can then ask if a fee is applied.

The cheques will out of date so they will be rejected either by the counter or when the cheque is validated from the paying in machine, and will need to reissued if they were issued in 2015, if you can be bothered or worth the postage and or phone call to get them reissued.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Westie983 wrote: »
    I notice you said your cheques were from 2015, they will expire within 6 months unless specifically mentioned on dividend cheques they are normally 12 months. Normally it says the timescale on the left hand side of the cheque, and what to do if you want it reissued, and can then ask if a fee is applied.

The cheques will out of date so they will be rejected either by the counter or when the cheque is validated from the paying in machine, and will need to reissued if they were issued in 2015, if you can be bothered or worth the postage and or phone call to get them reissued.

Most cheques are actually valid for 6 years but banks may refuse to take them after 6 months - it all depends on if they notice/can be bothered.
  • No_Name
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

Sorry that I did not clarify that I have current cheques which needs to be banked in addition to a couple of 2015 cheques lying around.

I'm not going to bother with those 2015 one - will keep them as a momento and remind me what could have been if I'd have been wiser - cashed in and invested elsewhere!
  • Either or you someone else can pay them in at the counter or paying in machine. Or you could also post them to your local branch leaving your sort code and account number with the cheques if you struggle to get to a branch, although as you said, they may not even be worth the value of a stamp, in which case is probably not the best option.
    Save £12k in 2018 #41 £8,247.60/£9,000
  • You can also pay cheques into a Halifax current account at your local post office (but you do need to put it in the right envelope from the Halifax together with the usual paying in slip).
  • No_Name
    Does the pay-in deposit machines / boxes in branch require the account holder's card?

I have a few pay-in envelopes from a year or two ago but never made use of them.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Does the pay-in deposit machines / boxes in branch require the account holder's card?

I have a few pay-in envelopes from a year or two ago but never made use of them.

The machines in my local Halifax have just changed so you can either use the card or key in your account number.
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 20 April 2017 at 10:54AM

No not anymore, the Immediate Deposit Machine (IDM) has been upgraded to allow you just to put a sort code and account number in or a card if you have one.

The Express Paying In (EPI) envelope system just needs the sort code and account number written on the attached paying in slip and then all put inside the envelope and post through the deposit slot/letter box.

gt94sss2

Cheques are legally valid for six years if not otherwise specified and most dividend cheques have the expiry written on them, hence my comment that the 2015 cheques will be out of date, and will not be accepted.

You are correct there are times that the dates are missed and then cheques are return to customer from the clearing centre, and cashier are trained to check dates on cheques on both counter credits and via the IDM and EPI, and its not just a case of cant be bothered, although I agree it can sometimes be missed.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing