PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Idears needed please

Options
harrys_nan
harrys_nan Posts: 1,777 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
edited 11 October 2017 at 7:01PM in Old style MoneySaving
Hi,
I'm going on holiday soon and want to take some gifts to my family that live there.
I want something "British" that they won't be able to get over there, 1 young lad about 9
1 teenage girl early teens
My cousin and her hubby both in their 50/60's
Has anyone any suggestions, this being money saving, I don't really want to spend much more than abou£60 total
Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
Proud nanny to two beautiful boys :j
And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better

UPDATE,
As of today 180919. my granddaughter is now my official granddaughter, adoption finally granted

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I visited friends of friend in rural Southern Ireland and wanted to take some small gifts. I made tablet and shortbread and took a bottle of homemade bramble vodka. For their kids who were similiar ages to your family I made up a hamper of old-fashioned sweets which they loved. My son repeated this when he visited his gf's family in Greece for the first time and it went down a storm.
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It might help if we know where you're going - so we have an idea of what might not be available.

Also - are your family originally British or foreign born/have they lived in or visited the UK previously?

I ask because whenever I visit my mother - wherever she happens to be living in the world that particular year - she always wants Marmite, Chocolate (galaxy and/or cadburys) and Yorkshire tea bags.

Before now I've had to have all my clothes in my cabin bag - big pockets in a big coat help - and given over my entire hold luggage to her marmite addiction :rotfl::rotfl:
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • harrys_nan
    harrys_nan Posts: 1,777 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi, I'm off to Canada, my cousin and her family are Canadian.Her dad was taken to Canada as a very small child, the parents, my grandparents emigrated over there. Never been over here at all.

I think I would like something they could keep
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys :j
    And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better

UPDATE,
    As of today 180919. my granddaughter is now my official granddaughter, adoption finally granted
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Teenage girl - Make up that's Boots brand. The xmas catalogue is out now with many gifts on 3 for 2, so potentially you might get something as the freebie if you're doing some xmas shopping.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you any photos of common ancestors? How about getting some copies printed and putting in a multiple frame. (Write on the back who they are if you know.)
  • wondercollie
    Options
    harrys_nan wrote: »
    Hi, I'm off to Canada, my cousin and her family are Canadian.Her dad was taken to Canada as a very small child, the parents, my grandparents emigrated over there. Never been over here at all.

I think I would like something they could keep

There are a lot of British products available here. Most cities have British shops where we can buy what we really miss.

Penguin biscuits are hard to find in some areas. I like to get souvenir tea towels. My sons loved to get candy/sweeties. My friends kids always hoped for team jerseys as they are very expensive here, or supporters scarves.

My husband would sell his soul for oxtail soup!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure