PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Value frozen veg?

Hey hope it's ok to post here,
I have a bag of value frozen veg (on a use up what we have in week), nobody in our house likes this frozen veg. I was thinking, can I make it into soup? It's broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and peas. If I can, how would I go about it? I've never made soup before.

I am currently hunting through past threads for cheapest meals etc but also wondering if anyone has any recipes to use up potatoes, I have quite a lot of cheese as well but running out of most other things now.

Thanking you kindly in advance.
Everything is always better after a cup of tea

Comments

• LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 October 2017 at 5:17PM
    I'd use a tin of tomatoes as a base, a potato for thickening, some stock (I use one veggie stock cube to one pint of water to make soup for two of us), add the frozen veg and "cook" it for as long as you would if you were going to serve it as veg, if that makes sense, then blitz the lot in the food processor and serve with crusty bread.

HTH. :o

EDIT: Ah, just seen you've not made soup before.

Put a bit of butter/oil in a large saucepan, slice your potato, cook for 5 mins. You can also put in diced onion if you wish. Add the toms and the stock. Heat it all up and cook til the potato is soft. Add your frozen veg, cook til that's soft. Blitz. Serve.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Another option is to tip it into savoury mince, Bolognaise or chilli. It'll make them go further and healthier with extra veg. If you think anyone will complain then use a potato masher to blend it all in (before the red beans in chilli).
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I had these before and wasn't impressed with them as veg, ended up using most of them in fritters which actually worked really well (I used a recipe for corn fritters and just replaced the corn with the mixed veg https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/sweetcorn-fritters-with-avocado-salsa.html)
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Of course you can make soup with the frozen veg.

Maybe add a fresh chopped onion aswell as stock. Just simmer the lot with a chopped spud or two, and blitz it to get a lovely creamy soup. Just perfect for this time of year.
  • I used a Y/S stew pack of veg a couple of weeks ago and it was fine softened some diced onion then added a cople of stock cube and two litres of water and a couple of diced sprouty spuds peeled & diced to oxo cube size .brought to the boil ,turned down and simmered until soft then whizzed it up in the blender I also added a dollop of lazy garlic and some mixed herbs .Cheap as chips and twice as nice :):) cost buttons to make and did me for four lunches during the week Once cold I store in a tupperware tub in the fridge or decant into zip lock soup bags to freeze into portions Can't remember how many years it is since I bought a tin of soup I think I probably paid 1/6d for it :):):) (8p)round about 1967 when I had just given brith to my eldest Never bought another as it tasted awful

HM soup rocks :):):)
  • chirpychick
    chirpychick Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Thank you everyone, I'm not a massive soup lover myself but my hubby loves soup so I was hoping to convince him I'd made something special and not confess to the frozen veg he thinks isn't nice hehehehehe
    I shall let you know how I get on :D
    Everything is always better after a cup of tea
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I shall let you know how I get on :D
    Please do let us know; I assumed the frozen veg doesn't taste of much, hence suggesting a tin of toms to give it a bit of flavour. ;)
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    caronc wrote: »
    I had these before and wasn't impressed with them as veg, ended up using most of them in fritters which actually worked really well (I used a recipe for corn fritters and just replaced the corn with the mixed veg https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/sweetcorn-fritters-with-avocado-salsa.html)

If you have any leftover, I'd second fritters. I don't really use a recipe as it's a go to leftover meal - almost bubble and squeak.

Mix cooked diced veg with mash, some grated cheese and an egg - sometimes I also add tuna, ham or corned beef.

Melt a spoon of butter in a pan and drop a tablespoon of the mix onto the hot pan. Flatten it slightly and leave it for a minute or two to brown. Flip it carefully and let the other side brown.

Slide off the pan and serve with beans or eat with ketchup in a bread roll.
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • pandora205
    pandora205 Posts: 2,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Another easy use is to throw in a tin of chickpeas and a curry sauce to make an instant veggie curry.
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Put them into a shepherds pie. You'd put whatever flavourings you do when you make the mince which would help if the veg is bland.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure