PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Kefir making as alternative to yoghurt making.

Options

Comments

• leonie_2
    leonie_2 Posts: 517 Forumite
    Options
    Yes I will because once i've got too much I wouldnt want to bin any spare :eek:

Dunno how I would send it though, i've just picked mine up in a pot full of milk! The milk smells nice actually. Cant wait to try it out.
  • lindadykes
    lindadykes Posts: 391 Forumite
    Options
    After reading this thread bought some grains off ebay for £4 incl P & P on tuesday, they arrived in this morning's post and I now have my first batch "brewing". Will post to say how it turns out. With regard to how to send it mine was double wrapped in two plastic bags, then just placed in an envelope.
  • leonie_2
    Options
    Well I got mine yesterday and I popped it into a clean glass and added a good cup full of milk to it. Everytime I passed it I had a look and give the glass a little shake. By the time I went to bed it had a slightly different smell (nice smell) but no change. So I popped it into a cupboard to keep it safe.

This morning, I looked at it and I had a glass full of beautiful thick kefir. I fished out Keith (yes I have named him lol) and put him into a fresh glass of milk and then stirred my new kefir. It is so creamy! Not sure I like the taste though, its like plain cultured yoghurt and I hate that too!

It says it will replace yoghurt and milk in cooking, and im sure it will be a joy to cook with as its a real nice consistency. Although cooking will destroy the bacteria, it will leave vitamins and minerals in the kefir.

So I had about three tablespoons mixed in with my homemade granola and it made the milk really creamy. I dont think I will be able to drink it straight down, but maybe with a bit of honey?

Im very pleased with it and even the family have showed an interest in drinking it because of all its health benefits.

lindadykes I think you will be pleased with it :-)
  • arkonite_babe
    arkonite_babe Posts: 7,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This really sounds interesting as my lot could have those pro biotic drinks morning, noon and night. I will make the effort to look at the sites mentioned earlier. ;)
  • leonie_2
    Options
    Hey Linda, How did you get on?

I made breadcakes (cobs) this morning and added 2 floz of kefir into my liquid amount and the bread is wonderfully light.

I'm hooked on this stuff....... it still tastes yuk though :-)
  • miss_dolly_girl
    Options
    thought you meant KAFIR lime leaves at first, like the type you use in curries etc lol
  • leonie_2
    Options
    No im talking bacteria baby! :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    amjust waiting for my kefir to arrive from a donor and cant wait to give it a try

seem some good recipes for making mozarella etc from it ..anyone tried them yet
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    Options
    Questions for our resident kefir-experts :D

How much kefir do you use each time? So when it doubles can you just give it away.

is it really reusable indefinitely?

Can you use it with goats milk?

Does it work on the lactose? so is the lactose level higher in the kefir milk?

How do you store it between uses?

Sounds really interesting. I;ve never heard of it before...
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Fromwhat I have read - yes - you can just give it away when it doubles in size - they say it takes a week.

One site I visited said to use sheeps or goats milk as normal anyway.

I believe you use about 1-2 tablespoons of the grains in a cup of milk?

I'm still waiting for mine to turn up, which will be after Easter now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure