Aldi - Technosonic PVR £99.99 - Freeview

Comments

• scoobie
    scoobie Posts: 277
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    rowantoad wrote:
    I have just ordered the Humax PVR9200T (yesterday) after a bit of research.
    160gig with a usb port so you can archive off if you want.

When you say archive off , presumably you can only play it back via the Humax?. Or can you transfer it to a PC and watch it/ burn it to DVD?
  • L.S.D.
    L.S.D. Posts: 412
    Forumite
    "The Lidl one is a DVD recorder so will take an external input from Sky/NTL, the Aldi one is PVR which will only record internal tuner"

The Aldi one has two freeview tuners. Both machines have there uses. Having both I can say the first I would get is the Aldi one, & miss the other until it also has Freeview.
    Nice to save.
  • tubster
    tubster Posts: 256 Forumite
    Hello folks
    Which? have published some reviews of PVRs recently - a key issue seems to be how easy the programme guide is to use for recording. It rates the Humax highly - has anyone tried a technotronic PVR of any kind? I imagine the EPG will be the same for the Aldi model, so any clues as to if it is any good would be welcome.
    Also, could someone who has a freeview PVR tell me if you can set it to record at the same time every week for a series?
    If anyone is unsure about their ariel etc, I would really recommend borrowing someone else's freeview receiver to find out in 30 seconds if it works with your ariel. :xmassign:
    Tubster
  • scoobies
    scoobies Posts: 137 Forumite
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rowantoad
    I have just ordered the Humax PVR9200T (yesterday) after a bit of research.
    160gig with a usb port so you can archive off if you want.

"When you say archive off , presumably you can only play it back via the Humax?. Or can you transfer it to a PC and watch it/ burn it to DVD?"

Nope - On the 9200T you can archive to PC and then burn it to DVD. I have the 8000T and I am a big fan of Humax.

Still might get this cheapo for £99 though!
    Cheers,
    Scoobies
  • gogsboy
    gogsboy Posts: 527 Forumite
    scoobies wrote:
    Nope - On the 9200T you can archive to PC and then burn it to DVD. I have the 8000T and I am a big fan of Humax.

Still might get this cheapo for £99 though!

What kind of transfer speed to you achieve and how much space does it take up, what sort of file arrives on your PC?

Is this a feature of the new Topfield one to do you know
  • scoobies
    scoobies Posts: 137 Forumite
    I do not have a 9200T - but you can find out alot more details on PVR's here

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=90

Cheers,
    Scoobies
    Cheers,
    Scoobies
  • L.S.D.
    L.S.D. Posts: 412
    Forumite
    I have the Digifusion PVR & I archive off to my DVD recorder via RGB scart so a 90 minute movie takes 90 minutes & the quality is perfect.
    Nice to save.
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    L.S.D. wrote:
    "The Lidl one is a DVD recorder so will take an external input from Sky/NTL, the Aldi one is PVR which will only record internal tuner"

The Aldi one has two freeview tuners. Both machines have there uses. Having both I can say the first I would get is the Aldi one, & miss the other until it also has Freeview.

I was replying to the previous posts where someone wanted to attach an external Sky/Sat box to one of the two options when only one of the options is suitable.
  • eilz
    eilz Posts: 354 Forumite
    So aprt from being more dearer is the Humax PVR9200T the best option, do the other two aldi/lidl one mcome close to the functions of the Humax
  • rowantoad
    rowantoad Posts: 360 Forumite
    eilz wrote:
    So aprt from being more dearer is the Humax PVR9200T the best option, do the other two aldi/lidl one mcome close to the functions of the Humax

The lidl box is really different piece of kit and difficult to compare to the aldi one.

The lidl box will be more difficult to set up recordings on but you can use it with external sources like a freeview box, free to air satellite, ntl and sky etc. A built in DVD recorder lets you easily archive off your recordings.

The aldi box has freeview only built into it (no use with external boxes). It will let you set recordings at the touch of a button while reading through the 7 day electronic programme listings. The aldi box will let you record 2 channels at once. (2 films on at same time over crimbo?) These 2 things - easy to program, 2 channel record are the most important things to me, it will completely change the way of watching tv.

The Humax will let you record 2 channels at once while watching certain other third channels. If the 2 channels recording are on the same 'mux' all freeview channels are available. If the 2 channels recording are on different 'mux' all channels on those 2 mux will be available to watch, other mux channels will be greyed out. (it is not clear if aldi box lets you do this, i already have freeview box so would have used that anyway for the third channel i suppose)

The Humax can get topup tv with a card and the cam to load it (about £45 for the cam/card and then £7.99 a month) If topup tv improves could be useful.

Humax has USB so you can get your recordings off and put on DVD if you can be bothered. (not as easy as lidl box)

Humax disk is twice as big.

The aldi box is only £100. I've bought the humax now but I won't be cancelling it. Had I not ordered already would I be at aldi? probably. If the Aldi box is really good though, changes your habits, and you use it loads, maybe you'll wish you'd got the Humax.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure